Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times

Advertisements

Leaving a car for service under manufacturer warranty without a loaner? Let alone on a leased vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:48 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Hope your son took note of the mileage on his odometer.

Dealers have been known to use vehicles like his as "loaners" to their preferred customers.
Do you have any proof of this? The liability and insurance ramifications would be enough to stop anyone with half an ounce of sense.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:

Dealers have been known to use vehicles like his as "loaners" to their preferred customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Do you have any proof of this? The liability and insurance ramifications would be enough to stop anyone with half an ounce of sense.
I agree. I'm sure it's probably happened somewhere along the line, but if anything happened to a customer's car while it was being used as a loaner by an unrelated customer without the owner's knowledge or consent it would completely destroy the dealer's reputation.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:

No reputable dealer in their right mind would ever use a customer's vehicle as service loaner.

Service loaner exists at dealership for a reason. They are usually offered to "preferred" customers first and when they don't have any, local rental company car is offered.

Now there may be a case when someone affiliated to the dealership taking a customer car home or out for testing.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
No reputable dealer in their right mind would ever use a customer's vehicle as service loaner.

Service loaner exists at dealership for a reason. They are usually offered to "preferred" customers first and when they don't have any, local rental company car is offered.

Now there may be a case when someone affiliated to the dealership taking a customer car home or out for testing.
Au contraire!

It's been a few years back, but a number of dealers of various brands (Nissan, Ford, others) here in Texas were holding vehicles quite some time that had been brought in for routine service. Days instead of hours. Owners noticed hundreds of miles on their odometers and nearly empty gas tanks. It was an item in the news. Turns out that if the vehicle had been in an accident, the owners' (not the dealer's) insurance would have been on the hook, since the owners had given the dealer permission to drive the vehicle, ostensibly for "testing."

What was really happening was that the cars were being used by employees or being passed off as loaners to other customers. As I mentioned, it was in the newspapers and on the local tv news.

Always take note of the odometer reading when leaving your vehicle for service. Let the repair shop notice you doing so. Just a word to the wise.

Sad, but true.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:14 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Au contraire!

It's been a few years back, but a number of dealers of various brands (Nissan, Ford, others) here in Texas were holding vehicles quite some time that had been brought in for routine service. Days instead of hours. Owners noticed hundreds of miles on their odometers and nearly empty gas tanks. It was an item in the news. Turns out that if the vehicle had been in an accident, the owners' (not the dealer's) insurance would have been on the hook, since the owners had given the dealer permission to drive the vehicle, ostensibly for "testing."

What was really happening was that the cars were being used by employees or being passed off as loaners to other customers. As I mentioned, it was in the newspapers and on the local tv news.

Always take note of the odometer reading when leaving your vehicle for service. Let the repair shop notice you doing so. Just a word to the wise.

Sad, but true.
You're going to have to give up something more than "a few years ago" and "a number of dealers in Texas" before I'm going to buy that this is something that's happened any more than once in a blue moon.

I know lots of dealerships engage in one kind of unscrupulous behavior or another, but always with the end goal of increasing profits. I just don't think using customer cars as service loaners would provide enough benefit to make it worth the substantial risk. In my area this would be the end of the dealership, period, and the dealers know that.

If the vehicle in question is something unique, such as a classic or a high-end performance car, I think there would be some benefit to checking the odometer because an employee might be tempted to take the car out for a joyride. But offering Customer A's Rav4 to Customer B as a loaner? Doubtful. Besides, part of OP's issue is that his son wasn't offered a loaner. If this was really something the dealer was likely to do he probably would have offered the kid Customer C's car to drive.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:26 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Turns out that if the vehicle had been in an accident, the owners' (not the dealer's) insurance would have been on the hook, since the owners had given the dealer permission to drive the vehicle, ostensibly for "testing."
That's simply not true.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo
Turns out that if the vehicle had been in an accident, the owners' (not the dealer's) insurance would have been on the hook, since the owners had given the dealer permission to drive the vehicle, ostensibly for "testing."

Quote:
That's simply not true.
That's not how service loaner work at all.

Every service loaner I've gotten.

1. Paper work shows that car is registered to dealer.
2. Insurance is under mine if I get into an accident.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's simply not true.
Prove it.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You're going to have to give up something more than "a few years ago" and "a number of dealers in Texas" before I'm going to buy that this is something that's happened any more than once in a blue moon.

I know lots of dealerships engage in one kind of unscrupulous behavior or another, but always with the end goal of increasing profits. I just don't think using customer cars as service loaners would provide enough benefit to make it worth the substantial risk. In my area this would be the end of the dealership, period, and the dealers know that.

If the vehicle in question is something unique, such as a classic or a high-end performance car, I think there would be some benefit to checking the odometer because an employee might be tempted to take the car out for a joyride. But offering Customer A's Rav4 to Customer B as a loaner? Doubtful. Besides, part of OP's issue is that his son wasn't offered a loaner. If this was really something the dealer was likely to do he probably would have offered the kid Customer C's car to drive.
If you're willing to drop your vehicle off at a dealership and then accept them at their word that they're not going to abuse it, then carry right on.

After that episode, I've made a point of checking the mileage on my odometer in clear sight of the service dept.

All I'm saying is that it might pay to be more aware. As the OP has pointed out, his son's car has been at the dealership multiple days for no good reason. I've posted one strong possibility. Take it or leave it.

In my view, some skepticism and awareness go a long way towards preventing disappointment.

Those who choose not to be aware will probably be OK in the majority of situations. But then again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive