Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,122,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
For the record, my husband works full time and takes care of our son when I can't because of some illness I've had, so has very little extra time. Also, we are currently living paycheck to paycheck due to financial hardship so 20-30 bucks is not a drop in the bucket for us.

What does flipping it or floating the title away consist of? I am not familiar with what those things are so would like to know to see if there's any signs of that.
All flipping is is buying something (car/home etc) fixing it up and hopefully selling it quickly for a profit.

Floating the title, see this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...resell-do.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM

40 posts, read 71,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Since when is selling a car in one's driveway to another person a scam?

How is the buyer "scamming" you?

You have a legitimate title, they have CASH -or- cashiers check what is there to scam?
I didn't say it was a scam, I am asking if it could be a scam.

I just find it weird that all these people, similar in style, shall we say, are interested in buying this car we have sitting in the driveway, especially if they say they don't care if we have the title.

Scams can be anywhere with anything so I'm reaching out to see if anyone has heard anything like that.

Like I said, maybe they would be doing something illegal with the car and trying to keep it in our name. Maybe the cash is fake. I don't know. I just think these guys seem a little too eager to buy a piece of crap car.

Last edited by MerciBeaucoup; 04-16-2015 at 12:35 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
As long as they pay cash and you file a "Release of Liability" does it matter what they are up to?
Only if it's going to get back to us negatively. I don't know about things like release of liability and I worry about those that look for people who can be taken advantage of, such as those who don't have that kind of knowledge. I don't know anything about car sales and my husband doesn't know as much about it as he acts I think.

But again, looking to see if there has been known scams for this.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I stand corrected.

Apparently, a desired SUV.

1994 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews
Interesting.

I have to say my father, who gave it to us 7 years ago always said it was a good car. He called it a tank. He is not a car guy by any means to know what he was talking about, he was just basing it on the fact it lasted so long and went through various things.
He gave it to us at 400,000 miles. After about 2 years with us it started having problems. I think it was a combination of being in a different region with different terrain and weather and the amount of traveling we did with it. I wish we had the money to put work into it, but at 400,000 miles, I wonder if it's worth it.

If it's desirable, then that may be why the interest, but these people looking to buy it do not know the details of it, such as mileage and the problems, and wonder if they did if they'd be so eager to buy it. They have not even asked which I thought was weird.

Last edited by MerciBeaucoup; 04-16-2015 at 12:58 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 05:37 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,709,878 times
Those are tough Jeeps to come by in decent shape and around my area they get snatched up just as quick as a for sale sign gets taped to the window. That was what I really wanted for my DD but to find one in decent shape was nearly impossible. Great truck though, I owned one many years ago and it was one of the best trucks ive ever owned. I can see why people have been placing notes, ive been tempted to do the same on nice cars ive seen sitting around for awhile.

As far as them not knowing any details, the details aren't as important on a car someone really wants because the parts for them are plentiful. If people are leaving notes on it they have been close enough to look inside and see the mileage and they can see cosmetically what shape its in, they just prefer to save the details for later, perhaps a bargaining tool once they get a bite.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,705,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
It is a 1994 Jeep Cherokee.

Even if we get the title though, should we be hesitant to sell it like that to those who are seeking it out like those guys are? I just don't know if this is some scam people pull.
No, they are most likely just car enthusiasts who see an unused car sitting and would be interested in buying it. I do that all the time. I will see a car sitting that interests me and I will stop and inquire if it might be possible to buy it or not. My Son also buys cars to fix and flip, so he does this as well.

How would you interpret that as being some sort of scam ? They give you cash, you give them a car.......end of deal.

Don

Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 AM

9,126 posts, read 14,673,466 times
As others said, that vintage of Cherokee is quite sought after in the Jeep/off road community.

Check around on some Jeep Forums and see. Many have for sale boards also.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,151,276 times
I agree, it doesn't sound like a scam at all to me. They see a vehicle that obviously hasn't been driven in awhile and figure they might be able to pick it up cheap either to fix up and flip, part out, or customize for themselves. It's a popular model, so there's both a demand for used parts and a plethora of used parts available to fix one up.

The reason several of them look similar is because people with one similar interest will typically share several interests especially within a specific geographic area. Around here the guys going around trying to buy old cars will be wearing jeans, wallet chains, T-shirts that are either too small or too large and ball caps typically promoting one truck brand or another, and driving that brand of truck with either Jason Aldean, Hank Williams, Jr., or T-Pain blasting on the stereo. There aren't really many rapper wannabes in my area at all, and the ones we do have aren't into messing with old cars.

The title is no big deal. Just tell the prospective buyer that it has no title but your husband will gladly sign whatever paperwork is required to get a new title if the buyer will do the legwork and pay the fee.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:59 AM

25,740 posts, read 16,359,436 times
We have two in the Twin Cities, one is "Cars for Kids" and the other is "Kars for Kids"

One is a scam from what I heard and one benefits kids, but I don't know which is which anymore.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:01 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
My elderly next door neighbor is the original owner of an old chevelle SS convertible and she refuses to sell it. It has not moved since 1985 and just sits under her carport. The car is not in good shape (paint is flaking, tires flat) but she would get pestered 1-2 times a week with people asking her to sell it. I finally offered to cover it for her with a car cover she purchased at wal-mart and problem solved. No one bothers her now except for a few that still kept trying for a few more months after it was covered then finally gave up. I don't understand the high interest in that car because it needs a lot of work.

Maybe you can cover the jeep with a cheap car cover until you are ready to sell it or repair it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive