Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 PM

256 posts, read 462,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Ok I'm sure to get flamed for this but here goes...

I'm a better then average driver so we all like to tell ourselves. With that said I do get pissed off at people who tailgate me. If someone is tailgating on the interstate or a two lane road & I get on my brakes hard, I won't stomp on them but I will keep pressing the brake pedal until they back off. This is wrong I am sure but they do get the point that they are driving to close to me.

Just a side story here. My wife & I go to breakfast every Sat morning at one of our favorite place I was in the left lane & the road was fairly busy. There come two cars racing down the road from behind us.
One passed IN the turning lane & the other tried to pass us on the right side of us. As he came closer to us on the right I pulled my car in front of him, causing him to slam on his brakes & run into the curb.
I didn't & neither did he. He went around me on the left & flipped ME off. As I said above I am sure to get flamed for both of these stories.... let it begin.
First of all you cannot make sudden brakes. It is a traffic crime and if the guy behind you has a recording camera (which is fairly common), he can easily proof it in the court. Yes, I hate tailgating and you cannot correct their mistake with putting others life in danger. What if you cause an accident and get someone hurt?

Also, please stop using the left lane. Many people do not realize that left lane is a passing lane and you should block the left lane or keep driving on the left lane. I love when people block the left lane with 55 miles per hour. They are as bad as drivers as the tailgaters.

You do not need sudden brakes, you can easily slow down and the car behind you, tailgater will pass you. This way, you do not put anybodies life in danger and the guy behind you will easily pass you. Also you may get in trouble with wrong person!!! Do not put your life or your families life in danger and do not act like a kid in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
True, but he could also be telling the truth. What he will find out the hard way is that getting out of ones car does not mean the bigger man will have the upper hand.

For instance I am 6'7" 240lbs which is likely bigger/stronger than the OP.
Believe me when I say, I did not always think this way, but have improved a lot as I've matured. Hopefully the OP will not learn the hard way, and will not get himself, family or anyone else hurt by pulling the stunt he described in the first post.

`

A lot of assumptions here about the OP. I never said I was Bruce Lee or anything close I have taken martial arts for 15 years & have worked security for 20 years & I am very good at handling difficult situations. I know there isn't you can do again someone who has a gun pointed at you. I've been stabbed at shot at. Yet, none of this has to do with my original post.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
First of all you cannot make sudden brakes. It is a traffic crime and if the guy behind you has a recording camera (which is fairly common), he can easily proof it in the court. Yes, I hate tailgating and you cannot correct their mistake with putting others life in danger. What if you cause an accident and get someone hurt?

Also, please stop using the left lane. Many people do not realize that left lane is a passing lane and you should block the left lane or keep driving on the left lane. I love when people block the left lane with 55 miles per hour. They are as bad as drivers as the tailgaters.

You do not need sudden brakes, you can easily slow down and the car behind you, tailgater will pass you. This way, you do not put anybodies life in danger and the guy behind you will easily pass you. Also you may get in trouble with wrong person!!! Do not put your life or your families life in danger and do not act like a kid in traffic.

I never slammed on my brakes. Nor did I mention that I did. Did ANYONE read my part about TWO cars racing in excess of 100 mph?
Not to mention that it was pretty busy that morning & I was in the left lane PASSING another car.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 PM

262 posts, read 606,663 times
This thread reminded me of why I hate traffic so much. Driving is incredibly dangerous, tailgating and break checking are both incredibly stupid. Swerving out in front of someone to keep them from getting around you...your driver's license should be permanently revoked.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
Ok I'm sure to get flamed for this but here goes...

I'm a better then average driver so we all like to tell ourselves. With that said I do get pissed off at people who tailgate me. If someone is tailgating on the interstate or a two lane road & I get on my brakes hard, I won't stomp on them but I will keep pressing the brake pedal until they back off. This is wrong I am sure but they do get the point that they are driving to close to me.

Just a side story here. My wife & I go to breakfast every Sat morning at one of our favorite place I was in the left lane & the road was fairly busy. There come two cars racing down the road from behind us.
One passed IN the turning lane & the other tried to pass us on the right side of us. As he came closer to us on the right I pulled my car in front of him, causing him to slam on his brakes & run into the curb.
I didn't & neither did he. He went around me on the left & flipped ME off. As I said above I am sure to get flamed for both of these stories.... let it begin.
Why not just drive exactly the speed limit, using your four-ways.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady
Name one time that it is legal and right to do that does not consist of "I want to go faster and you're in my way" which is NEVER a good "reason".

I stand by what I was taught not only by my Daddy but by driving instructors and others over the decades.

Who the heck told you that?

What you are doing when you are flashing your lights is turning the lights on and off, or turning your brights on and off. Has nothing to do with passing and everything to do with the ability to turn your lights or brights on efficiently.

I do note that you didn't answer the actual question. Wonder why that might be.
I can tell that you don't even know about the flash to pass feature that your car has. You do not need to turn the lights on or off to use it.

I did answer the question. You just didn't understand and/or refuse to accept the answer.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM

16,543 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
A lot of assumptions here about the OP. I never said I was Bruce Lee or anything close I have taken martial arts for 15 years & have worked security for 20 years & I am very good at handling difficult situations. I know there isn't you can do again someone who has a gun pointed at you. I've been stabbed at shot at. Yet, none of this has to do with my original post.

You made this about how you were big and bad, therefore dismissing my point of you being obnoxious behind the wheel, which you wouldn't do in a face to face confrontation. Then you proceeded to tell us you would because of your size.
I then correctly pointed out that no matter how big someone is, it does not mean your confrontational nature on the road will insure a positive outcome for you.
Like I said, someone can run you off the road, shoot you, or do other various things we have read about over the years. Just look at some of the crazy Youtube videos where idiots have caused, wipeouts, rollovers, street side fights etc. How is any of that worth it over someone tail gaiting you?
I say it is much easier, safer, and less stressful to allow the speeders to get by you and be on their way. To do otherwise is just asking for trouble.

I'd also note the fact you have been stabbed and shot at, should be enough for you to realize being big and maybe even able bad, is a poor excuse for pulling the stunts you say you have in this thread.

`

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

You made this about how you were big and bad, therefore dismissing my point of you being obnoxious behind the wheel, which you wouldn't do in a face to face confrontation. Then you proceeded to tell us you would because of your size.

I did mention that I was a big guy but I never said how big, you mentioned that you were stronger, bigger ,etc. I admit I made a mistake & should of let him pass & just hoped that the driver would kill himself in the process & no one else.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Tailgaters are annoying, but I tend to just keep going as usual. They have the option to pass and should do so if they want to get to where they're going in such a hurry. On the highway I usually set the cruise control at 5 mph over the speed limit and I stay in the right lane except when I'm passing. If some fool wants to ride my rear bumper that's on him. I can't drive his vehicle for him.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
my understanding is that the rule is one car length per 10 mph......with that rule in mind, I would bet that most are tailgaters, who think they are not
May look good on paper but in todays high speed heavy traffic youd be hard pressed to maintain such a distance between you and the car ahead as other divers would be continually pulling into your safety space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive