Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:25 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Spokane State Senator Takes Aim at Obnoxious, Dangerous Left-Lan - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Sen. Michael Baumgartner (R, Spokane) is proposing new legislation aimed at left-lane campers

Quote:
...his bill, SB 6105, creates a new traffic offense of aggravated left-lane driving. In addition to the $124 fine for continuous left lane driving, a slowpoke could be slapped with additional penalties. They would start at $27 for one-to-five miles under the speed limit, and rise to $67 for 16-to-20 miles an hour under the limit.
I applaud the thought, but I'm not sure that this solves the problem, and I can see it being horribly abused by fine-hungry police. The problem I see is not so much people going under the limit in the left lane, but going right at the limit or even a couple over, when most other drivers are going 5-10 over. In a situation like that, the slower driver should head for the right lane, but some refuse to. This law would not address such a driver.

In the Seattle area, highways are generally so congested that one could easily break this law while still acting as a responsible driver. Often on my commute home congestion is such that the left lane might be doing 50 mph, and the right lane 40 mph. If I'm doing 50 in the left lane, and can't go any faster without violating the 2-second rule w/ respect to the car in front of me, I see no reason to move to the right lane. Yet under this law I would be in violation if I didn't.

I'm not sure a law can really be devised to solve the problem without giving broad discretion to police, and I'm not sure I trust police with broad discretion. Maybe a better idea would be a massive education/shaming campaign. I do agree with Senator Baumgartner that the slow left lane driver is a severe safety hazard. Cars continually come up behind, and have to wend their way around the slow left lane driver. It's a much bigger hazard than the guy going 5-10 over the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:13 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Florida already has a 'no slow poke' in left lane on interstate law.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
I would take it one step further, where consistenly driving on left lane (no matter what speed) when right lane is open should be ticketed.

These guys create intangible hazards and are clueless of their role, so I say ticket them. Even when freeway is open, I only use left line as the "passing lane", most Europeans know this since it is the law.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,186,539 times
I don't think this law could be justly enforced. First off, it should never be a crime to go 1-5 under the speed limit. Some officers already ticket for 1 over, and no one, not even Superman himself can keep a car EXACTLY at the speed limit on the dot. Speeds fluctuate slightly, has this senator never driven a car? I mean, if you're OBVIOUSLY going slower than the left lane, you should stay in the right. But this is yet another place the criminalization process should keep itself out of. Finally, there ARE police officers out there that are dumber than a door post.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I don't think this law could be justly enforced. First off, it should never be a crime to go 1-5 under the speed limit. Some officers already ticket for 1 over, and no one, not even Superman himself can keep a car EXACTLY at the speed limit on the dot. Speeds fluctuate slightly, has this senator never driven a car? I mean, if you're OBVIOUSLY going slower than the left lane, you should stay in the right. But this is yet another place the criminalization process should keep itself out of. Finally, there ARE police officers out there that are dumber than a door post.
Agreed.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Two problems:

It has a 00.0001 % chance of being enforced. Cops have higher priorities.

On some roads the trucks have pounded the pavement until it is as rough as cobblestones, so people drive in the left lane.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Washington state Senator proposes left lane camper law, but will it solve the problem?
Only if it's enforced.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:12 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
It is important to know the exact verbiage of the bill. I don't think it prudent to say whether or not something like this would work by going off a news article with paraphrases. For example, are there conditions for enforcement that take traffic congestion into account?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I'm glad to see this:

They would start at $27 for one-to-five miles under the speed limit, and rise to $67 for 16-to-20 miles an hour under the limit.

He clearly sees that there's a need to make it clear that the speed limit is still the speed limit in the left lane because there are so many people who somehow think that the speed limit disappears in the left lane.

It also makes it clear exactly what left lane hogging is and is not, legally. Not only to the driving public but to the police.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:25 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

Its not a crime to go under the speed limit, its a crime to go under the speed limit in the left lane!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people feel entitled to the left lane like they own it. Its just a road and it doesnt hurt your pride or ego to move over to the right when you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive