Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:08 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times

Advertisements

I cannot think of an instance where someone was angry at me for driving at whatever speed in the right lane, while the left was moving quicker. Must be local to your area.

When your driving this way, is traffic so congested people are unable to get around you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,426 times
I wouldn't have cared. If they're annoyed, so be it.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
get out of the left lane. people won't be upset at you if you hang out in the right lane going slow. When you force someone to pass you on the right you are making them break the law in some (all?) states
If it's a 4 lane or more highway, with at least 2 lanes moving in each direction, it is not illegal for vehicles in the right lane to move faster (thus passing) vehicles in the left lane.

What is not legal is passing on the right shoulder to get around a slower moving vehicle on a 2 lane road.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Your driving record. Your insurance. Points would be added to your license. You would be the one paying for any ticket. Your car. Your responsibility.

Basically, who gives a crap about what others think and whether they are trying to "push" you to speed up. If they want to speed and drive reckless, which it sounds like they are, let all responsibility for their actions be on them. They can always go around you on a multi lane or wait for a legal spot to pass on a two lane. You are in the right as you are going the speed limit or a tad over, much like I drive. Ignore them. I drive the same way and enjoy low insurance rates on both my vehicles because I have been ticket free for many years.

This is like the A-holes behind you at an intersection who honk and signal for you to go because they like pulling out in front of oncoming traffic and making the others hit the brakes or slow down. Guess what, it's my life and my responsibility when I'm driving my car. I will go when it is safe for me. If you have to wait a few extra seconds, oh well. And that includes the ones on my butt who are trying to"push" me to go faster when I am already going a tad over the limit.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
So OP has to tell us whether he was driving in the left lane or a 1-lane road.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Both of these instances happened while driving through Ohio on an extended drive from Pennsylvania to Kentucky, several years apart. One happened on the highway, the other in a lower speed expressway. These both happened during the day in bright and sunny conditions, no construction zones.

Highway: Pulled over for driving 85mph in 65mph zone.
Expressway: Pulled over for driving 50mph in a 35mph zone.

After each ticket, I set cruise control (the only time I've used it) to 5mph over the posted speed limit and drive. Traffic lines up behind me, people honk, the car behind me flash their high beams at me, people passing me give me the finger.

What am I supposed to do? I'm not looking for another ticket. Inevitably, some time further up the road I see the police pulling over one of the people that were so desperate to pass me.

And there ya have it
I rarely get to see that happening but you did.
Better them than you, right?

I set mine just a few over the 5 extra mile limit but less than 10 over the posted and I scout the area.
Sometimes I get that sense that there is a police car in range and adjust accordingly and sometimes it depends on the locale I'm going through. I keep to my right most always, except to pass or if there is a left hand turn coming up. Unfortunately, there are going to be times when someone is going to think they need to get to a fire but isn't really working in that occupation, if you know what I mean.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
If I was doing the flow of traffic and was singled out for a ticket because I'm an out of stater I'd call the officer out for writing me a ticket and basically tell him to **** off. Going way slower than the flow of traffic on an interstate is hazardous and causes road rage. If the speed limits are set too low for a given area which is often, VERY often the case in particular they love to set speed limits 35 when they should be 45-50 ... that's really the problem the city needs to address not by just singling out out of state drivers to collect revenue.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
They want you to lie there quietly, as they keep kicking you while you're down.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:50 AM

367 posts, read 458,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post

What am I supposed to do? I'm not looking for another ticket. Inevitably, some time further up the road I see the police pulling over one of the people that were so desperate to pass me.
Which should always make it worthwhile! If I can do it safely, I'll even wave to the driver of the car that is pulled over that was speeding. I travel daily on an aggressively patrolled road, so I am in that situation to see people pulled over on it often. I've only been pulled over on it once, but not for speeding. (and got off with just a warning).

As long as you're not in the left lane, then who cares what these drivers think, once they are by you, they are gone and they will focus on the next car up the road who is driving the speed minimum (aka speed limit). If you are in the left lane, then move over as soon as you can. Or I become one of those jerks!

I can't see how unlimited speed interstates would make things safer. Having cars traveling a wide range of speeds is a recipe for disaster. Discretion needs to be used when writing tickets, and I think it is, for the most part. If a group of cars are doing 80 in a 65 and just following each other nose to tail, then they should be let go. If a cop observes a same group of cars approaching a car doing 68, and you have one car in that pack deciding to make a lane change or two, then that was a not a safe maneuver, and where discretion should be to give that one a ticket. That driver will argue they were going with the flow, but really, they were not as the pack was a approaching a slower vehicle.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dburger View Post
I wouldn't have cared. If they're annoyed, so be it.
Those annoyed people are not going to pay your increased insurance bill for points. Are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive