Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 PM

505 posts, read 847,835 times

Advertisements

Always see this happening and it's frustrating. I understand pulling out into the road if there's a break in the center median and enough room not to block moving traffic. What's annoying is when some pinhead is smack dab in the middle of a narrow street blocking thru traffic because he couldn't just patiently wait to make his turn back on the street he was leaving from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
I agree it sucks, but sometimes you have to do in order to make a left turn this century. There was one nasty intersection I used to go through nearly everyday in the town I previously lived in and the left turn arrow only was green enough to let one car in. If I didn't want to wait 10 minutes, I had to push my way through.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I hate to inconvenience people for a few seconds from time to time, but sometimes traffic density around here is so thick that I'd sit there for half an hour if I waited for clearings to simultaneously materialize in both directions. When traffic volume is this thick, it's usually slogging along slowly enough that it won't take anyone I blocked more than a block or so to catch right back up to the gridlocked traffic they'd erstwhile been driving in.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:02 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I hate to inconvenience people for a few seconds from time to time, but sometimes traffic density around here is so thick that I'd sit there for half an hour if I waited for clearings to simultaneously materialize in both directions. When traffic volume is this thick, it's usually slogging along slowly enough that it won't take anyone I blocked more than a block or so to catch right back up to the gridlocked traffic they'd erstwhile been driving in.
If it is that bad, I usually just make a right and then u-turn. Today we're seeing more right turn only in traffic engineering to avoid people trying to turn left across so much traffic, as it is dangerous and causes restrictions like above.

The one thing that bugs me the most are people who turn left at intersections but who do not enter the intersection to gain right of way. I have seen people sit through 3-4 cycles waiting for a chance to turn left, and when they get them, they waste time and opportunities by pulling into the intersection first.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Smart people make a right turn then a U turn - when traffic is that bad. Unfortunately there are not many smart people...

Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Always see this happening and it's frustrating. I understand pulling out into the road if there's a break in the center median and enough room not to block moving traffic. What's annoying is when some pinhead is smack dab in the middle of a narrow street blocking thru traffic because he couldn't just patiently wait to make his turn back on the street he was leaving from.

If a left turn is legally permitted, drivers have the right to occupy a position from which they can make a left turn when it is safe to do so.

If people making legal left turns are blocking traffic, the impatient pinheads being blocked can take it up with the municipal traffic engineer.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-23-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 08:13 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The one thing that bugs me the most are people who turn left at intersections but who do not enter the intersection to gain right of way. I have seen people sit through 3-4 cycles waiting for a chance to turn left, and when they get them, they waste time and opportunities by pulling into the intersection first.
OMG!! Houston is so bad for this. Here they just DON"T KNOW HOW TO TURN RIGHT!!!

I mean, really, its that bad....I swear driver ed actually teaches them NOT to pull forward.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
We seem to be talking about two different situations in this thread. The situation in the OP is what I will refer to:

If I can't do it without blocking traffic, I turn right and do a U-turn up the road somewhere.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Smart people make a right turn then a U turn - when traffic is that bad. Unfortunately there are not many smart people...
+1

Or, if a U-turn isn't possible, just go around the block and then make your final turn at an intersection where there is a traffic light.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I agree it sucks, but sometimes you have to do in order to make a left turn this century. There was one nasty intersection I used to go through nearly everyday in the town I previously lived in and the left turn arrow only was green enough to let one car in. If I didn't want to wait 10 minutes, I had to push my way through.
There should be a push to build accumulation lanes for the purpose of both left and right turns where traffic volume warrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive