Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not unless you get to ride on flat ground.
What are you talking about? Whether you're traveling one flat or uneven ground, you aren't required to race. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that there's a reason to race on un-flat ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 01:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You don't have to race while commuting. You can bike leisurely. Of course in the summer, you're likely to sweat no matter what. But if it's below 70 degrees and you're in decent shape, you don't sweat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not unless you get to ride on flat ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest
What are you talking about? Whether you're traveling one flat or uneven ground, you aren't required to race. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that there's a reason to race on un-flat ground.
Proper context.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:57 PM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
So you'd rather pay $7,300 up front & get it back in $40 increments every week for the next 4-6 years ?

How long is a typical customer going to keep that car ? I suspect that for an electric car, at the current state of technology, no more than 7 years... if you're lucky. A Prius battery would last 7 - 9 years, and that's a hybrid. To replace the Prius battery is over $4K, which is probably almost as much as the car itself is worth after 9 years. An electric car battery is going to cost around $10k, at least for the current models. So keeping it long term is not really smart, and keeping it short term you never get your money back.
The Prius batteries come with a warranty for 100,000 miles or 8 years (150K and 10 years in California and Massachusetts).

There are many Priuses out there with batteries that have outlasted the warranty and are still driving fine. The warranty is really more for batteries with some defect that makes them wear out too soon.

The Volt has a similar warranty.

I would say, for most people, batteries are not going to be a big issue. If it comes down to replacing batteries for $3K or $4K, most people will just trade in the vehicle anyway, and get something much newer and with even better technology. 8 years is a long time in the world of EVs.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The Prius batteries come with a warranty for 100,000 miles or 8 years (150K and 10 years in California and Massachusetts).

There are many Priuses out there with batteries that have outlasted the warranty and are still driving fine. The warranty is really more for batteries with some defect that makes them wear out too soon.

The Volt has a similar warranty.

I would say, for most people, batteries are not going to be a big issue. If it comes down to replacing batteries for $3K or $4K, most people will just trade in the vehicle anyway, and get something much newer and with even better technology. 8 years is a long time in the world of EVs.
I drive cars for 8-10 years. So I would likely need a replacement.

Anyway, it still stands - unless EVs are priced close to the similar gasoline powered cars, they don't make sense financially. You're still paying $7-9k up front for the Prius, and most EVs are more expensive than Prius hybrid. I think the Leaf starts at $29k (but I wouldn't want it anyway, the concept is terrible). Volt, which I liked, is well over $30k. It's almost double the price of Corolla. It simply does not make sense to pay that kind of money up front when a compact gasoline powered car with good fuel economy will still be economical. It will take you years before you even catch up financially in case of cheaper Prius, and in case of Volt you'd likely still be in red when it's time to get rid of it.

If Volt was $22k and the gas was over $4 per gallon, it would be a better situation for EVs.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
If the hybrids and EVs didn’t make it with a $7000 tax credit and almost $5 a gallon gas, it is hard to envision a scenario that they would in the future.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:29 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I drive cars for 8-10 years. So I would likely need a replacement.

Anyway, it still stands - unless EVs are priced close to the similar gasoline powered cars, they don't make sense financially. You're still paying $7-9k up front for the Prius, and most EVs are more expensive than Prius hybrid. I think the Leaf starts at $29k (but I wouldn't want it anyway, the concept is terrible). Volt, which I liked, is well over $30k. It's almost double the price of Corolla. It simply does not make sense to pay that kind of money up front when a compact gasoline powered car with good fuel economy will still be economical. It will take you years before you even catch up financially in case of cheaper Prius, and in case of Volt you'd likely still be in red when it's time to get rid of it.

If Volt was $22k and the gas was over $4 per gallon, it would be a better situation for EVs.
Good news is the battery is warrantied for 8-10 years, so even if would need a replacement (very unlikely) it would be covered by warranty.

Paid $20,400 for my Prius. Not many cars you can get new for $11-13k at all.
Good news is that's about what the Volt sells for after rebates. They're discounted heavily since the second generation is coming up.
Obviously, they're more attractive with gas costing more per gallon.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Good news is the battery is warrantied for 8-10 years, so even if would need a replacement (very unlikely) it would be covered by warranty.

Paid $20,400 for my Prius. Not many cars you can get new for $11-13k at all.
Good news is that's about what the Volt sells for after rebates. They're discounted heavily since the second generation is coming up.
Obviously, they're more attractive with gas costing more per gallon.
Toyota has only had to replace about 0.3% (down from 0.5%) of hybrid car batteries under warranty. More automatic transmissions and clutches need replacement than hybrid batteries do.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8train View Post
I've seen a Tesla registered here in Wyoming, kinda surprising that there isn't a single one in Montana.

You will not find Teslas in Michigan either. This is due to state law that requires new cars to be sold by an authorized dealer. You have the same issue in other states.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
You will not find Teslas in Michigan either. This is due to state law that requires new cars to be sold by an authorized dealer. You have the same issue in other states.
I was in Holland, Michigan last spring visiting my folks. In town, there was a Tesla Model S in the parking lot with Michigan plate. I asked around about it, you can buy any car and bring them in state to get it registered. It's probably the same for other states that do not sell Teslas.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:45 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
We'd like to keep our Prius for 10+ years. The only thing that would make us sell, is the need for space or if the battery goes out. I'm guessing we'd hit the former first.

It's been an awesome car, but I don't know if I'd get another Hybrid/EV unless it made sense. If the Hybrid SUV got 50+MPG and it was around the same price as the Prius was, then maybe. As it stands Hybrid SUVs are more expensive and less efficient, so the money savings is clear.

In these cases space is the priority and so people see value to space and not value to MPG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive