Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,703,156 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as "basic" transportation anymore. Too many tech gadgets, everything is controlled by computers and sensors, many repair/replace items are in such a bad place that its easier just to take it somewhere...for example when my wife had her outback it was a major project just to change a headlight. Growing up I did all of my own work on my cars and I enjoyed it, however, I wont touch a new car at all, if there's a problem it goes right to the mechanic unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:53 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,887,466 times
Actually, the answer is really very simple!
1. Don't get old. If you do, your willingness to do your own work fades. Now that I am over 70, I don't even want to change the oil!
2. Buy and drive "classic" vehicles, those made before the advent of computer controlled everything. Yes, you will have to learn how to do your own carburetor work. The "technicians" of today can't be trusted with the things!
3. For vehicles in the "borderline years" (one simple computer), there may be a way to remove the computer and throw it away. I found an article on how to do that on AMC vehicles. I did it to a Jeep CJ7, and it worked GREAT!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:10 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This is not really aimed at the back yard mechanic who wants to replace the alternator or swap out the brakes to avoid being raked over the coals at the shop. They want to restrict access to the technology in the car, which I think is to shut down the people who are altering the computer programing for tuning purposes.

Bingo.

This is more geared towards ECU modification and tuners. They are stating they own the programming in the ECU and don't want it to be modified.

has nothing to do with brake jobs or spark plug changes

Old 04-24-2015, 08:18 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,862,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This is not really aimed at the back yard mechanic who wants to replace the alternator or swap out the brakes to avoid being raked over the coals at the shop. They want to restrict access to the technology in the car, which I think is to shut down the people who are altering the computer programing for tuning purposes.
^^^

Yup.. a lot of people may not know this but lots of today's car can be reprogrammed.

Go into most car enthusiast and there is usually a coding section where folks are modifying (customizing) a car to their desire.

I remember about 10-12 years ago when I took my MDX into the dealership. All the techs were standing around looking at my car. They the manager came out and asked me what I did to my car. Well, what's interesting to them was the I had modified the startup screen for the NAV system. Techie members on there had figured out a trick to update the files on the NAV system and that's what I did.

I think this is what they are trying to stop. Good luck with that.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times
The way I see it, if a car dealership can fix it, I probably can too on many things. But the way these newer cars are designed, I think some of the design is on purpose to get you to the dealer for repairs.
Timing belts should have a big easy to remove cover rather than a 5 hr + job to replace a belt. Another example: Chevy Cruze must have the engine mount removed to replace a serpentine belt or many things on cars now adays that are designed to be worked on from underneath rather than above.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:21 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,927,995 times
I see what they are saying for the way cars are today, but once this type of law passes, you watch, they will expand what the computer actually controls. Pretty soon the computer will have control over all the basics such as your brakes, alternator, battery(ies), etc. Then, because this law has passed, you won't be able to do any kind of routine maintenance. I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it so far that you could no longer even replace tires without going back to the dealerships.

For instance, I test drove the new Lincoln MKZ. Everything on that vehicle is electronically controlled. So, if I blew out a shock 10 years later, would I be able to replace that shock knowing that the suspension is electronically controlled?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 AM

15,677 posts, read 20,170,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Idrove the new Lincoln MKZ. Everything on that vehicle is electronically controlled. So, if I blew out a shock 10 years later, would I be able to replace that shock knowing that the suspension is electronically controlled?

Only if a law specifically stating you cannot remove and replace a defective component is passed, then why wouldn't you be able to replace that shock?

SEMA would have a field day if such a law were to be proposed. They are the NRA of the automotive world.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:03 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,853,959 times
I'm not worried. Such a law won't ever pass.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,177,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Bingo.

This is more geared towards ECU modification and tuners. They are stating they own the programming in the ECU and don't want it to be modified.

has nothing to do with brake jobs or spark plug changes
Don't take away my Cobb Access Port!

It's BS, Intel tried to fight overclocking their cpu's (they attempted to lock multipliers) for a bit but eventually gave up trying to block it because people always found a way around, just like DMCA when it over reaches.

I sell Subaru's and I see plenty of morons that go do a tune and don't have the corresponding parts, or vice versa. Usually results in expensive repairs - some understand the risks they take, others are a-holes and try to pull one over on the dealership.

But what happens when these lines of code start to overlap between manufactures and they are all trying to claim them as their own protected proprietary property. Example - lets say Ford manages to implement something along these lines and Honda happens to share some of the same lines of code, wtf then? Car manufactures are going to start suing each other over this crap like Samsung and Apple, its dumb and does nothing but hold back progress.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,927,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Only if a law specifically stating you cannot remove and replace a defective component is passed, then why wouldn't you be able to replace that shock?

Because so much of the suspension is electronically controlled, I wouldn't be surprised if the law is stretched to prevent people from working on anything electronically controlled. In the Lincoln's case, the suspension can be adjusted via the touch screen. This could be construed as proprietary software. Obviously, I'm not going to hack the computer system by replacing a shock, but it is the whole "give an inch, take a mile" scenario which I think would come into play with this type of ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive