Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:25 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times

Advertisements

» Automakers Want to Outlaw Gearheads From Working on Their Own Cars Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-for...160000229.html

More big business in bed with big government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Shouldn't be too big of a problem for those comfortable with spending what could be a months salary on a broke down vehicle.
Plenty on here seem to feel that way as it is

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I don't have a problem with it, we can still do some work like fluid changes and brakes, and really, that's what classic cars are for, they provide plenty of wrenching fun.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,157 times
DMCA has been ruining video games for years. It's stupid. If you want your PC game to be pirated, embed some ridiculous DMCA. Spore had one of the worst - you could install the game 3 times, after that you needed to contact Electronic Arts and get a new authentication code / product key to do it; And they where not exactly good at honoring it. The result? Spore is was one of the heaviest pirated games of all time.

The music and movie / video industry is enshrouded in this BS as well. Apple is horrid with this stuff, you buy a song / album and you don't own sh*t. You own the right to use it, but try to move it around between PC's in your house and it's a nightmare / impossible.

They (auto industry) are just following suit for precedence already set in other industries. It's rampant in the TECH industry, it's full of patent trolls. It's not the small businesses either, the big guys are horrible about it. Apple being one of the guiltiest.

It's stifling progress in what I'm taking a good guess is pretty much every industry. One of our best visionaries alive IMO has an excellent quote about this:

"If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal." -Elon Musk... What an awesome quote from an incredible person and this concept can be applied to anything. IMO patent law needs some serious re-working. It is the major force / factor that is pushing this behavior.

I will say, as someone that has a decently modified Subaru WRX, this pisses me off. Frankly though, just like pirating games when a developer decides to go a route that is contrary to serving the customer; There will always be solutions to those that are willing.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM

If anything drives us back to the 1700s, it'll probably be these copyright protections and things breaking down to the point of "can't be fixed, the code authors can't be found(ie,. died a long time ago.)"

Stifling advancement to the point of "who cares", I'm going to hook the plow up to the donkey.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:16 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
I used to work on cars, and still give advice to those that do, sorry but I agree the average person has NO business working on a car. You might think that is harsh, but if you saw the stuff I do everyday, you'd agree

Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I used to work on cars, and still give advice to those that do, sorry but I agree the average person has NO business working on a car. You might think that is harsh, but if you saw the stuff I do everyday, you'd agree
Some mechanics have NO business working on cars either.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I gave up working on my own vehicle in 1983 and I do not regret nor mind paying someone else to use their mechanical talents and get greasy.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Until the price comes down to the point where people aren't going broke over a catastrophic repair disaster, ride a bike and think twice about those doing so.

Honest mechanics and techs are hard to come by when navigating a endless sea of swindlers.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
This is not really aimed at the back yard mechanic who wants to replace the alternator or swap out the brakes to avoid being raked over the coals at the shop. They want to restrict access to the technology in the car, which I think is to shut down the people who are altering the computer programing for tuning purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive