Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 11:52 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times

Advertisements

Yes the pickup driver was being a "Left Lane Dick" but that's all he is guilty of. He did not cause the crash anymore than the Rig driver.

Tailgaters cause more crashes than speeders or slowpokes. Pretty sure all of us at one time have been the victim of a slowpoke driver holding up the line. Smart drivers will wait for the right opportunity to come along to make a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Really?
So the semi should impede the flow of traffic because someone is a drunken fool?
What if the semi driver would have slowed down a bit? He would have had a camaro lodged in the back of his trailer at that point because the camaro driver was much too close for the semi driver to even think about slowing down.
Truth be told the covered wagon more than likely had no idea the camaro was right behind him because he could not see the camaro because it was much too close to be seen by the semi driver.

Did you know, if you cannot see the side mirrors of the semi they cannot see you?
Did you know, that space the semi puts between them and the vehicle in front of them is NOT so you,in your 4 wheeled vehicle can squeeze in front of them.
Did you know, a tanker with a liquid load is always sloshing about and can at any point have the brakes on and still be pushed forward a bit from the slosh of the liquid?
Have you ever driven a semi? Do you know what it takes for them to stop? Do you know how long it takes for them to even slow down a wee bit?

The driver of the Camaro is the only one to blame here, no one else could "diffuse" the situation because he was legally drunk, impatient and being completely ignorant.

Those semi's cannot be maneuvered like a smaller vehicle, they have that big thing attached to the back of their vehicle called a trailer. Those trailers do not maneuver with a quick motion like a 4 wheeled vehicle. IF the semi driver had jerked the wheel slightly too hard the trailer would have jack knifed and caused a bigger issue.

Put the blame where it is due, on the driver of the camaro and the driver of that semi is one heck of a driver to keep the tractor and trailer upright in that sort of accident.
No, I have never driven a big rig. I have great respect for the folks who drive them. I even let them get in front of me when they need to change lanes, blinking my lights to let them know it's OK. The only time I have had a roadside breakdown (flat tire), one of them stopped to help me.

All I said was I wonder if the driver of the big rig could have helped by slowing down - not slamming on the brakes in panic mode, just slowing so that his vehicle was not part of the rolling block.

Yes, help defuse the situation.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:04 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Any idiot can see the shadow of the other vehicle on the video. You people defending the driver of the camaro? You need to go get relicensed, right now. Because you don't need to be on the road. We just watched this at work. and not one single person thinks the pickup driver should be charged with anything, as the accident was totally caused by the camaro. I am just thankful the drunk fool is now off the road.
No one cares what your coworkers at Wendy's thinks. I'm sure most aren't even licensed.

The fact of the matter is, had the Camaro driver pulled out a gun and shot him dead, not one person here would be saying "oh that poor pickup driver, he did nothing wrong. He was just an innocent bystander who didnt deserve that!" On the contrary he would be getting majority of the blame because everyone can clearly see he was the INSTIGATOR who escaladed an innocent lane change into a dangerous situation for all the real innocent bystanders behind him.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:30 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
No, that would not have helped at all, because the only way the camaro could ever have made it in front of the pickup, is if the pickup had slowed down to let him in. There was no room for the camaro to pass---he just figured he would MAKE room. And clearly, that didn't work.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:32 PM

LOL. I think we know who the fast food employee is here.

"Innocent lane change" my foot. As I have already said, you should not be driving, if you really thought that.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 04-29-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:40 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No he isn't. People who drive slow in the left lane are irritating. But that's all they are; irritating. Tailgating is never OK. It is is always a rude thing to do, and it can be very unsafe (see Camaro video for proof of this). If someone in the left lane is driving too slow for your taste, you can scoot over to the right and pass him/her. If that is not possible, be patient and drive slower than you prefer (I know, that's impossible for many drivers, such as Camaro idiot). 100% the fault of the Camaro. Pickup just acted as fingernails down the blackboard of the highway.
You had me, initially, at the "scoot over to the right." That's how I am--if I can pass, even if it means passing on the right, I'm fine. As long as I can, there are no worries.

However, you lost me at "be patient and drive slower." No, sorry, that is totally unacceptable. No one should EVER deliberately block me from doing what I want to do. EVER. That is not just "irritating," it is totally unacceptable. It's like what George Carlin said: you reach that point where you decide "I MUST get around this person--we may have to die, but I'm getting around this person." (It goes something like that anyway.) Once I decide you're too slow for my taste, and I want around you, that becomes the sole reason for my life pretty much at that point. I'm deadly serious on the matter.

So, therefore, one should NEVER NEVER impede traffic flow. EVER. To me, it would be an offense dealt with by jail--yes, JAIL. It's serious business to me. You just don't do it, ever.

As I said in a post somewhere before, I once even drove on the middle turn lane in the city to pass people who were doing this. I did it once, haven't done it since, and it was a risky move, but again--when I decide I want around, I WANT AROUND and THAT'S IT. They were going a good 10 mph below the speed limit, driving right beside each other, and there was all the room in the world in front of them. It wasn't a case of there just being so much traffic that it couldn't be helped, no, they were driving that way with plenty of room to do otherwise, some 10 mph below the speed limit, I approach them, signal that I'd like to go around, and they just sat there, refusing to budge an inch.

Frankly, I think it should be perfectly legal to back off, but then get up to 100 mph--in an 18-wheeler--and slam into them and send them careening off into the woods, MOVE THEIR BUTTS out of the way BY FORCE if it comes to that. Since that's not an option obviously, we're just going to have to find a way around. And yes, if someone comes into the middle lane to turn and there's an accident, it should be the slow drivers on the road's fault for creating that unacceptable situation and refusing to move and expecting other people to tolerate it.

That's what it comes down to me--I'm tired of being told to tolerate this. It's wrong and it should be treated as the wrong it is, in a most serious way. It should be treated on a level as serious as a DWI. They have toll-free numbers for road rage, well how about toll free numbers for people driving slow in the fast lane who won't move their hind-ends. That there are only numbers for "road rage" people is just ridiculous. Maybe some of that road rage is caused by the people calling in and complaining about it, frankly.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
You had me, initially, at the "scoot over to the right." That's how I am--if I can pass, even if it means passing on the right, I'm fine. As long as I can, there are no worries.

However, you lost me at "be patient and drive slower." No, sorry, that is totally unacceptable. No one should EVER deliberately block me from doing what I want to do. EVER. That is not just "irritating," it is totally unacceptable. It's like what George Carlin said: you reach that point where you decide "I MUST get around this person--we may have to die, but I'm getting around this person." (It goes something like that anyway.) Once I decide you're too slow for my taste, and I want around you, that becomes the sole reason for my life pretty much at that point. I'm deadly serious on the matter.

So, therefore, one should NEVER NEVER impede traffic flow. EVER. To me, it would be an offense dealt with by jail--yes, JAIL. It's serious business to me. You just don't do it, ever.

As I said in a post somewhere before, I once even drove on the middle turn lane in the city to pass people who were doing this. I did it once, haven't done it since, and it was a risky move, but again--when I decide I want around, I WANT AROUND and THAT'S IT. They were going a good 10 mph below the speed limit, driving right beside each other, and there was all the room in the world in front of them. It wasn't a case of there just being so much traffic that it couldn't be helped, no, they were driving that way with plenty of room to do otherwise, some 10 mph below the speed limit, I approach them, signal that I'd like to go around, and they just sat there, refusing to budge an inch.

Frankly, I think it should be perfectly legal to back off, but then get up to 100 mph--in an 18-wheeler--and slam into them and send them careening off into the woods, MOVE THEIR BUTTS out of the way BY FORCE if it comes to that. Since that's not an option obviously, we're just going to have to find a way around. And yes, if someone comes into the middle lane to turn and there's an accident, it should be the slow drivers on the road's fault for creating that unacceptable situation and refusing to move and expecting other people to tolerate it.

That's what it comes down to me--I'm tired of being told to tolerate this. It's wrong and it should be treated as the wrong it is, in a most serious way. It should be treated on a level as serious as a DWI. They have toll-free numbers for road rage, well how about toll free numbers for people driving slow in the fast lane who won't move their hind-ends. That there are only numbers for "road rage" people is just ridiculous. Maybe some of that road rage is caused by the people calling in and complaining about it, frankly.
Jesus H. Damn glad you don't drive anywhere near me. You are a freaking menace.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Thanks to this thread I'll try to remember to drive more defensively in such a situation. I'd hate to be at fault because I blocked the left lane.

I have to remember that I come across a lot of people while passing that don't bother to speed up from their cruise speed a lot and just putter along like a snail barely passing the person they are passing and how annoying that can be.

Never gonna change other people's behavior... you're better off focusing on things you can control such as yourself and reactions to situations.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, I have never driven a big rig. I have great respect for the folks who drive them. I even let them get in front of me when they need to change lanes, blinking my lights to let them know it's OK. The only time I have had a roadside breakdown (flat tire), one of them stopped to help me.

All I said was I wonder if the driver of the big rig could have helped by slowing down - not slamming on the brakes in panic mode, just slowing so that his vehicle was not part of the rolling block.

Yes, help defuse the situation.
Did the trucker even have a way to know what was happening? Didn't most of the situation take place within his blind spot? He was probably wondering why the pickup was pacing him, but did he even have time to notice the idiot in the Camaro? Any truck drivers here who would know?

Last edited by CoastalMaineiac; 04-29-2015 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Grammar mistake

Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
he was the INSTIGATOR who escaladed an innocent lane change into a dangerous situation for all the real innocent bystanders behind him.
It was a illegal attempt at a lane change, cars in lane are not required to yield to those coming into their lane. That's really the end of the story.

In other words, you're wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive