Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:07 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

You're welcome. Check out autotrader, that's where I found that 2012 E350 near you. Plenty of nice late model Mercedes to choose from. If those aren't sporty enough, and if your kids are small, then you could look at Porsche 911s, they have a small back seat that could fit two kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:24 PM

88 posts, read 144,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You're welcome. Check out autotrader, that's where I found that 2012 E350 near you. Plenty of nice late model Mercedes to choose from. If those aren't sporty enough, and if your kids are small, then you could look at Porsche 911s, they have a small back seat that could fit two kids.
My boys are 6th and 8th grade so we need all 4 seats!! But thank you very very much for the websites or I would be stuck getting ripped off on CL

Old 04-28-2015, 03:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
If it doesnt have to be a convertible how about a 4dr pickup=
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...ck-62219-7.jpg
or if it does need to be a 4 seat convertible =Mustang, although the rear seats might be a bit tight.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...onvertible.jpg

Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
I guess first off, we need to resolve the issue of who the "new" car will be for.
I believe you stated you wanted to give a car for her birthday.

That being said, the car would be for her, not kids, and not to transport them around town.
If this is truly a gift for HER, then let it be for her.
Obviously I am partial to the Corvette.
Again, me, and many other Corvette enthusiast think the C5 has it all over the C6, especially in looks.
When they went for the frog eyes headlight treatment in the C6, and discontinued the hidden lights that were on the C5, a lot of Corvette owners opted to keep their 5's.
It is a great personal car.

No need for you to bring another cookie cutter vehicle into the neighborhood.
Beamers, Audi, Lexus, are a dime a dozen.
You see them everywhere.
Corvettes are a bit limited in their numbers, and when you see one on the road, it just says something special about the person driving it.

Corvettes have , and always will be a car that many long to own, but for one reason or another most that want one are in situation where owning one would not be practical.
I have always felt that if the idea of owning a Vette is a life long dream, then do it, and do it now.

As I said earlier, if the car is a gift for her, then it should be for her, and no one else.
On those few occasions that the kids need to be driven around, let them use your vehicle.
That day, you get to drive the Vette.
Bob.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I would ask her what kind of car catches her eye. You wouldn't want to buy a Corvette and her say oh it's.........nice.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:25 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
Sweet man!! We live in Staten Island NY...lots of Italians and Greeks here and the culture is very ostentatious EVERYTHING. Houses with marble columns and gargoyles and Beemers, Benzes, Lexuses in the drive way..my boys are very into sports so when my wife totes them around to the games and stuff she sees all the ladies sneering at her in a Jetta. I'm definitely gonna look around for a Vette like that she would be floored.
It's a dangerous slippery slope you are on. Far better to learn to be happy with what you have. Those people showing off are probably broke too.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Yeah, C5 might impress the high school girls but no one else. Get a C6.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 PM

387 posts, read 589,250 times
have your wife find a new group of people to be around with.

i just saved you 30k.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
An E-Class is good as a sedan, if you want to replace the Jetta. If you want a coupe or a convertible that is practical, look for an Audi A5 as it is available in both FWD and AWD, so it can handle snowy conditions. Mercedes also makes an E350 convertible that has 4-seats, but is RWD, as it is not offered in a 4Matic, so it could not be used in snowy weather, but would be a good three-season vehicle.

If you can deal with a smaller sedan, the Lexus IS is a good vehicle, and available in AWD. You would have to look at a certified pre-owned to stay under budget, but the vehicles are very solid, still a bit sporty, and reliable. A Volvo S60 would fit the bill in terms of price, available room, and available AWD. Another good bet in a sedan, a mid-size, would be an Audi A6. You could get a high trim level 2012-2013 certified A6 with Quattro, navigation, etc., and low mileage for a price in the low $30k range, and she would have a plush vehicle that's also pretty reliable. The A6 is a better bet than the A4, not only because it has a higher safety score, but is larger inside, so will accommodate your kids and whatever they need to tote in the trunk.

An example of an A6 with an asking price in the range you quoted, for the V6 with a high trim level, not a stripped vehicle, with heated front and rear seats, etc.: Cars for Sale: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Premium Plus quattro in Huntington, NY 11746: Sedan Details - 395095442 - Autotrader

An A5 convertible, certified, would be in the 2012-2013 model years as well for your proposed budget range, and could be a good vehicle to consider, blending practicality with some fun. However, it is not a hardtop convertible, so could be a bit of a pain in snow, though it will handle well with the Quattro system.

An A5 example: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...93494494&Log=0

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-28-2015, 09:05 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,472 times
Honda Odyssey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive