Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Scenario 2:
One lane road, traffic is stopped at least a half mile from the light. The line begins to move, but the car in front of me does not move at all. The line of traffic has now moved 15 car lengths from the car in front of me. I beep, the car moves.
3 minutes later, still behind the same car. I am trying to exit the street going right with my signal on. The car in front of me has arrived at the side street I want to turn on to and I am behind with my signal on to make a right. There is more than enough room for them to pass the side street and let me turn, however the car stops as if not to block someone turning left coming form the opposite direction. I beep. The car does not move. I beep again, The car does not move. I open my door, the car moves. There is no reason for the car to stay stopped where it was. Are people really that spiteful? I won't let you turn because you beeped at me before?

Maybe I should just have my horn removed....
In many states, it is illegal to block a side street. What if a police officer, firetruck, or ambulance needs to get down the road to save someone's life? You're all worried about yourself and getting home 20 seconds faster. Would your tune change if it was your kid the medical personal was trying to save but couldn't because a 1/2 mile line of cars blocked the side street? You'd be on here complaining about that.

No one made you God of the Road. No one needs to get out of your way because you honked your horn. Take a chill pill and relax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 11:42 AM

585 posts, read 492,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I bet the OP is using his horn too often and when he does it is for too long.

And, only one tap is needed. Not two.
I bet you are wrong and when you assume, well you know...

Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
In many states, it is illegal to block a side street. What if a police officer, firetruck, or ambulance needs to get down the road to save someone's life? You're all worried about yourself and getting home 20 seconds faster. Would your tune change if it was your kid the medical personal was trying to save but couldn't because a 1/2 mile line of cars blocked the side street? You'd be on here complaining about that.

No one made you God of the Road. No one needs to get out of your way because you honked your horn. Take a chill pill and relax!
There was several cars length room for them to pass the side street. They would NOT have been blocking it.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If it wasn't necessary to pass inspection, you would do well to get rid of your horn to remind you to be polite and NEVER use your horn to hurry up another driver. Horns are to scare animals out of the road and should NEVER be used to tell humans what to do.

Are you one of those people who puts your foot on the gas immediately after the light changes without checking to make sure the traffic is stopping and not running the red light? That has caused the death of many drivers. Learn patience and courtesy. I would sit through 2 red lights without moving before I would rudely blow my car horn at another driver. Unless you are going to pay for the other driver's car insurance, you need to adjust to their driving and stop using your horn to tell them how it should be done. They have a right to be safe.
You would seriously just sit behind an unmoving car and not do anything? Really, what if they never moved? Would you sit there twiddling your thumbs forever, not to be rude?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Folks,

I am wondering if it's just me or if other people have noticed the reactions I get when I beep my horn? I am not saying this happens every time I have beeped it, it just seems there have been some extreme reactions that I don't understand.

Scenario 1:
I am at a stop light behind one car and the light is red. The light turns green. The car does not move. His brake lights remain on. I count slowly to myself one-two-three and then beep my horn. The car starts to move, and then jams on their brakes and then doesn't move until the light turn yellow and then they floor it. When the car jammed on their brakes I beeped again as a what gives? The car didn't notice the light turn green and is mad that I don't want to sit behind him at a green light?

Scenario 2:
One lane road, traffic is stopped at least a half mile from the light. The line begins to move, but the car in front of me does not move at all. The line of traffic has now moved 15 car lengths from the car in front of me. I beep, the car moves.
3 minutes later, still behind the same car. I am trying to exit the street going right with my signal on. The car in front of me has arrived at the side street I want to turn on to and I am behind with my signal on to make a right. There is more than enough room for them to pass the side street and let me turn, however the car stops as if not to block someone turning left coming form the opposite direction. I beep. The car does not move. I beep again, The car does not move. I open my door, the car moves. There is no reason for the car to stay stopped where it was. Are people really that spiteful? I won't let you turn because you beeped at me before?

Maybe I should just have my horn removed....
I seriously doubt you are really beeping. You are probably leaning on the horn and pissing people off.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
There was several cars length room for them to pass the side street. They would NOT have been blocking it.
No one has to move for you because you honk your horn! What don't you understand?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No one has to move for you because you honk your horn! What don't you understand?
So first you say it's illegal and now when I told you they had plenty of room you think it's OK for someone to just block the road, huh?

So would you just sit behind a non-moving car and do nothing?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 AM

933 posts, read 1,477,342 times
I generally refrain from using my horn unless I ABSOLUTELY need it. It's better to just let people do their thing than cause someone to start road raging at me. In extreme circumstances, I'll use it, but I'm one of those people who just can't deal with the aftermath normally, if that makes sense.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:59 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,729 times
Quote:
You would seriously just sit behind an unmoving car and not do anything? Really, what if they never moved? Would you sit there twiddling your thumbs forever, not to be rude?
Absolutely.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I seriously doubt you are really beeping. You are probably leaning on the horn and pissing people off.
No I am just tapping it. Why would I want to go around pissing people off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive