Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
That's just how the japanese do things.

Sit inside an Audi A3 or A4 vs a Lexus LS460. Tell me a Lexus isn't luxury. Yes I'm comparing a base Audi vs top end Lexus but it is still Audi vs Lexus.

If you can't call Lexus a luxury brand than you can't do the same for Audi.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes all have low end models barely clearing $30K. Same with Infiniti and Lexus. But those are still luxury vehicles due to the nameplate. They can only be purchased new at a Lexus dealership (vs Toyota). Same for Infiniti.

You're definition of luxury is just different than mine. I have different justifications as to what I define as a luxury car. For one, FWD shouldn't be on a luxury car.

We aren't going to agree here, and i'm not expecting to convince others of my points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You're definition of luxury is just different than mine. I have different justifications as to what I define as a luxury car. For one, FWD shouldn't be on a luxury car.

We aren't going to agree here, and i'm not expecting to convince others of my points.
Agreed. But keep in mind most Lexus models are RWD with optional AWD. The only one I can think off the top of my head as a FWD model is the ES (maybe CT also?)

Also, many people cross shop LS with 7 series with S Class.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Agreed. But keep in mind most Lexus models are RWD with optional AWD. The only one I can think off the top of my head as a FWD model is the ES (maybe CT also?)
The two vehicles that make up the bulk of Lexus sales are the FWD ES and RX.
FWD luxury crossovers are big sellers. Cadillac looked at RX sales and ditched the RWD SRX for FWD.
It immediately jumped to #2 seller in the class, staying there for a number of years and handily outselling its predecessor.
Women drive the sales of these things. For many the packaging advantages of FWD trump which wheels drive the car.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
I've never heard the notion that RWD = luxury. Sporty yes but not luxury

Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Whether you disagree or not. In the U.S Infiniti is considered a luxury brand. They are not compared against Toyotas or Hondas or Hyundias.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:51 AM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Yes, a lot of silly folks are.

Many are priced out of home ownership, so they spend on cars to make themselves "look better."

Many copycat stupid reality show people.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:11 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
People set out to have the best that they can get their hands on, to enjoy life. I don't fault people for wanting to lease a BMW for $329/mo. If they struggle every month, that's on them. If they do it just for image rather than enjoy the product, that's also on them. It's so common these days - who cares if you're in a BMW except those who point it out to others on the road or on the internet? Enjoy it because getting what you want is the only reason you're working.
Exactly. You work for your money, so you should be able to enjoy it as you wish. I love driving and have always loved cars and appreciate the fine engineering and craftsmanship that go into a luxury vehicle, as well as the more refined driving experience. That would be my reason for owning one. I don't give a flying hoot about what other people think about me or my car. I personally don't live beyond my means and prioritize things like home ownership and retirement savings, but if other people stupidly stretch themselves thin in order to impress other people, then that's on them. I think that would also be my biggest reason to not purchase, say, a BMW. I love BMWs, but I am not sure I would want to be associated with the stereotypical BMW driver. So in a few years when I'm ready to trade in my Subaru, I think I will be looking hard at a Volvo. They are a really underrated brand, IMO. Definitely not as showy as the first-tier luxury brands, but still offer a great combination of luxury and "everyday" sportiness.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:17 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Guess what there are 12k, 15k, and 18k plus a year mile leases too. You can lower your payment by opting for the lower mileage. However, if you sell, buy or trade in your lease before final lease date and you're over mileage you won't get penalized. You only get penalized if you turn it back into dealer and walk away.
I did not know that.

Well, that's still not enough mileage for me. I'm not driving anywhere near 81,000 miles/yr like I did in 2007, but I'm still over 18K by a lot.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:46 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Some of my coworkers and I were talking about this the other day. A lot of us drive BMW 3 series. The issue is a lot of American cars are getting pretty pricey, often putting them on par with "expensive" imports. Why would a 25 year old single yuppie buy a Mustang when he can pay 2k more and get a BMW 3 series with a few miles on it? Some American SUV's now are actually more expensive than these luxury imports. The new Explorer ranges from 30k-43k. You can get an X3 in my area for that range with under 20k miles.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
The Mustang in question will have a 435 hp V8 and will blow that 4-cylinder BMW into the weeds.
The X3 is tiny compared to an Explorer. A comparably sized BMW costs a whole lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive