Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times

Advertisements

Modern RWD cars do very well in bad conditions thanks to traction/stability control. My Magnum does surprisingly good in snow.

When its really bad out, I use the AWD Astro van...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Modern RWD cars do very well in bad conditions thanks to traction/stability control. My Magnum does surprisingly good in snow.
The Regal GS I have has traction control, that was the best vehicle I ever drove in the snow bar none except awd/4wd. Someone previously mentioned RWD is as good and I'd have to strongly disagree with that. I've driven both extensively in all kinds of conditions. It's just a a matter of physics, trying to push something over a slippery surface will never give you as much control as pulling it. Plus you have the weight of the engine directly on the wheels.

Just one simple example here, suppose you're in town and go around corner to quick (not that I ever did that). If you start sliding a little there is not a whole lot you can do with RWD. With FWD you can turn the wheel and punch it.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
OP may have mis-stated the term muscle car although he DID use the mustang as a comparison. If you are looking for mustang level performance under $15k you are certainly looking at a used car.

That much power in a FWD car will get you torque steer and generally difficult power management and you'll end up feathering the throttle to avoid smoking 1 wheel.

Muscle cars are cool because you can lay some rubber by smoking the rear wheels, but what is even cooler than that is a 4 wheel burn out. So while a WRX is powerful, the STI is closer to the muscle you're looking for.

In my opinion, one of Audi's V8 S4 models is a top choice and might be found under $15k very soon. Otherwise, the STI and the R32 could be very entertaining drives. No opinion or comment on reliability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGfmTzlJbNA

Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
There a plenty of FWD cars with a little "umph" but I would definitely not consider any of them muscle cars.

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart 1.4T. I've done some small mods(exhaust, air intake) and it's still extremely slow(220hp ish with 200 lbs torque ish). But I love it, it gets great gas milage, it's wonderful in the snow, and overall has been a good car. You can get a 2013 for easily less than 15K with still low miles. I bought mine last year with 7K miles for 16K.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post

Muscle cars are cool because you can lay some rubber by smoking the rear wheels,
It's even cooler when it's the front wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGDaEjMQYs

The regal can do a decent burnout without the brake stand but you're not going to get rear wheel type burnouts especially if there is clutch involved.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's even cooler when it's the front wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGDaEjMQYs

The regal can do a decent burnout without the brake stand but you're not going to get rear wheel type burnouts especially if there is clutch involved.
I was crackin' up at the soundtrack to that video. That was awesome. And those are one of my favorite sleepers for sure.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
And those are one of my favorite sleepers for sure.
That's the best part about it, no one knows. As I said to my cousin a lot of cars may be faster but they aren't as fast. 60 to 90 is scary and that is where you will either catch up or pass, it just keeps on accelerating after that.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:28 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
The OPs desire would have been easier back in the 1990s when there was a glut of FWD sport coupes like Mazda MX6, Ford Probe, Mitsubishi Eclipse and it's Chrysler clones, the GM cars (Grand Am coupe and it's siblings), the Honda/Acura coupes like Integra and Prelude, Nissan 240SX, Toyota Celica, Chevy Berretta, and Subaru SVX (the forgotten sport coupe). Most sports coupes no longer exist anymore. It's almost all sedans now.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:38 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
I noticed no love for the 2010-present SHO. While not FWD per se it is as close as you will get to "muscle car" and is AWD.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:34 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,551,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I noticed no love for the 2010-present SHO. While not FWD per se it is as close as you will get to "muscle car" and is AWD.
I thought about posting it. There really are a lot of options. He doesn't seem interested in AWD though. And the SHO was the only Taurus with the V6EB motor, which only came with AWD. They are very heavy cars, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive