Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 PM

756 posts, read 833,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosBall View Post
I'm considering a vanity license plate. My first name is short and will fit, along with one of my favorite passions (GOLFR). Or I might just do my name and favorite number/letter. Or name and lifelong favorite team name abbreviation. I checked them on motor vehicle site, and they are all available for me to take.

What is your opinion of placing your first name on your vanity plate? Is that a bad idea? I'm a respectful driver. Does having one's name on the plate draw negative attention (hecklers, random vandals, etc)?

"Here comes "JOE"/"TIM"/"BOB"/"BILL"/"SAL" his mommy wrote his name on his car just like his underwear!"

"Hey, get a real sport! Golf sucks."
One of my vehicles happens to be a collectible. That every body wants to steal. I do not meed to attract any more attention to the vehicle (or ME either!) by adding my name to a vanity license plate.

Besides, I like Texas and its TWO license plates. I do not meed to worry about vanity licence plates to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:11 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
why would you announce your name and hobby to the world? Get a facebook account and post hourly if you need more attention.

They don't call'em vanity plates fer nuthin', Ev.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 PM

275 posts, read 455,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I always take pics of funky license plates and post them on my FB account. I got "J S Bach" for example or "Mon Dieu". I always marvel at what these choices try to convey about their owners. Sure, aspiring musician or??? No french people would chose a license plate "mon dieu" (My God).
Other like "ITLNBRN" shows ethnicity and so on. If I were bolder Id pick "TNGDNCR" for myself, but im not.
Ive also seen "DIVORCD"
Did you see DIVORCD in Galax, Virginia by any chance?!

Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
OMG, I'm gonna DIE!!
I not only have my first initial and last name on my "vanity plates", they have my amateur radio call sign! (the call sign IS my first initial AND LAST NAME!)
But then, on the 27th and 28th of June, I may be participating in the ARRL Field Day, broadcasting my call sign to the entire United States, if not the whole world, depending on RF propagation.
ANYbody who has a scanner and a computer can hear me broadcasting, and look the call sign up on the ARRL website!
perhaps I should return my Amateur Radio License to the FCC, sell all my radios (including the CBs), and never broadcast again "just to be SAFE!
Nah, that ain't gonna happen!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,379,741 times
I got a chuckle out of a plate on a car parked outside a psychiatrist's office, it said "shrink".

Years back my wife had "Mumsy" on her MG roadster. Our college age son hated to be seen driving it.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:51 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,712,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I always take pics of funky license plates and post them on my FB account. I got "J S Bach" for example or "Mon Dieu". I always marvel at what these choices try to convey about their owners. Sure, aspiring musician or??? No french people would chose a license plate "mon dieu" (My God).
For awhile on my commute to work, I was almost always behind a car with the vanity plate reading "MY GOD I"

I always wondered, "My God I what?"

Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 AM

509 posts, read 554,384 times
I've known tons of people, including my own husband, with their names on their cars. Never heard of an issue.
Really, who has the time or energy to create an issue over a vanity plate speeding by?
If someone wants to start something with you, they will do it vanity plate or not.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:08 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Definitely over-thinking this. It's your car, get what you want for license plates, don't worry about what other people think.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:11 AM

546 posts, read 408,477 times
I had a vanity plate used on several "fun" cars - shortened version of my first name, the letter s, and "toy". First one I considered things like HotDodg because it was a fast Dodge, but went more generic calling it my toy. Which was helpful as I didn't need to change my plate when I traded in my Dodge... or the next 5 cars it adorned.

Then I moved to a state where they're ridiculously expensive, no more vanity plates for me.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:32 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Personalized license plates usually means paying extra for the plate to get it. I refuse to give the government anymore money than I'm giving them already for registration of a vehicle I already own. Anyone can report a plate personal or not. If someone wants and is willingbtonpay for personalized plates that's fine. It's their dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive