Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 02:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times

Advertisements

Again some of the cases here, while a person has a medical disability, really does not mean they have to use the extra wide parking area with the wheel chair ramp nearby. Seems to me it really is for folks who need to bring out a walking aid from their car and deploy it next to the vehicle who need the spot. The ramp being the obvious as a wheelchair fits the above description. I could see a person with walker as they are cumbersome to use and require extra room for use.

In short for people who need to use an actual aid to exit their vehicle and actually move about outside of their vehicle. Some of the folks here are quite mobile who have handicapped tags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 02:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Last week I was at the local Home Depot, parked my Vette in the handicapped spot,and as I was walking into the store,this dude stops me and says,"do you know you parked in a handicapped spot"?
You don't look handicapped to me, and driving a Corvette doesn't look like you are handicapped either.
I repieid, "To begin with, what I drive is none of your dammed business, now get lost before I call store security".
Where do people get off judging a disability, or lack thereof, by the vehicle one drives?

Bob.
Ok I admit I'm totally jealous....I'd love to ride in a Corvette. And the truck sounds pretty sweet!

PS The cops sound like they had absolutely nothing to do.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Again some of the cases here, while a person has a medical disability, really does not mean they have to use the extra wide parking area with the wheel chair ramp nearby. Seems to me it really is for folks who need to bring out a walking aid from their car and deploy it next to the vehicle who need the spot. The ramp being the obvious as a wheelchair fits the above description. I could see a person with walker as they are cumbersome to use and require extra room for use.

In short for people who need to use an actual aid to exit their vehicle and actually move about outside of their vehicle. Some of the folks here are quite mobile who have handicapped tags.
Ninety percent of the time I am mobile, but it is that ten percent of the time when I would need to be close to my vehicle when leaving a store, should my lower back kick up.
That pain is extremely debilitating and I never know when it is going to happen.
Just because someone is reasonably mobile does not mean they should not be able to park in a handicapped spot , and display the placard.
What is with you?

Do you have something against people with disabilities?
I wouldn't wish the pain associated with a faulty spine, on my worst enemy,as it is extremely painful, but in your case I would make an exception.
You have no right to judge anyone, unless you have walked a mile in their shoes.
How dare you.

Bob.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:

I can tell you've never been to Lowe's or WalMart with me! I can walk going into the place. I have nerve damage in my back and I broke a bone in it years ago. After walking on a concrete surface for several minutes, there's several pain in my hips and legs. I have to lean on a shopping cart to keep going. I walk significantly slower. I can barely walk by the time I get back to my vehicle. The pain is excruciating. You would NEVER know any of this to look at me.

I don't have a disability parking tag. I don't really want one. I'm going to have several surgeries to attempt to correct the issues in my back. The surgeries may or may not work. They may make things better. They may make things worse.

Just be flipping happy you never broke your back or have nerve damage! And mind your own business!!!! Until you walk a few miles in my shoes or anyone else's, you don't know squat.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 PM

Yeah but you guys can walk and how about the person in the wheel chair?

I was at the airport years ago for a flight but on crutches due to an unexpected accident. The attendant at the airline counter asked if I wanted a wheelchair as I was not used to the crutches and ungainly and it was a long walk to the boarding gate. I said not because someone who needs a wheelchair may show up and I do not want to use one if somehow no other one was available.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:53 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,852,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Handicap tags are for people that use more than one vehicle to transport themselves or have someone transport them. If a neighbor drives them some where they can use that tag in the neighbors car for that trip. There are more handicap tags issued than permanent ones primarily for that reason.
My wife has one, she has M/S which is not noticeable at times but is limited in her walking ability. We have 3 vehicles, we take her tag with her when we change vehicles. If we fly to another city/state and rent a car we can use it in that vehicle when she's in it.
One section of the HC law says the handicap tag is valid for those that have difficulty walking more than 200 feet without tiring out.
Granted there are abusers, but you don't know..
Here are the rules...
How to get a handicap parking permit in Arizona (AZ)
My wife has M/S as well. We have hang tags and have to remember to take them with us when we ride in someone else's car or fly to some place and rent a car. Believe me, I would be willing to park in the FARTHEST parking place in order for her to be free of that chronic illness.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah but you guys can walk and how about the person in the wheel chair?

I was at the airport years ago for a flight but on crutches due to an unexpected accident. The attendant at the airline counter asked if I wanted a wheelchair as I was not used to the crutches and ungainly and it was a long walk to the boarding gate. I said not because someone who needs a wheelchair may show up and I do not want to use one if somehow no other one was available.
Why the pissing contest about who can walk and who needs a wheelchair? There are people who use wheelchairs who are able to walk, but have some issues. Nobody is better than anybody.

Airports have multiple wheelchairs. The airline was trying to be helpful and kind.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 PM

No pissing contest and you are losing your cool.

Rather obvious the intent of the disabled tag was for folks who need an extra wide parking spot.-Guess why? To use a wheelchair from the car and then the ramp access adjacent to enter/egress the store. Probably also for folks who must have a walker.

I know they have multiple wheelchairs and just like today's proliferation of disabled tags, folks use the conveniences who do not really need them. Eventually a needy user will have to shift for themselves.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
No pissing contest and you are losing your cool.

Rather obvious the intent of the disabled tag was for folks who need an extra wide parking spot.-Guess why? To use a wheelchair from the car and then the ramp access adjacent to enter/egress the store. Probably also for folks who must have a walker.

I know they have multiple wheelchairs and just like today's proliferation of disabled tags, folks use the conveniences who do not really need them. Eventually a needy user will have to shift for themselves.
No. I'm not losing my cool.

And no the reason for the disability tag is not for wider parking spots for wheelchairs. It's for people who have a disability. There are hundreds of types of disabilities that don't involve wheelchairs, but involve other health issues.

My grandmother has a tank of oxygen 24/7. She doesn't have a wheelchair. She has a disability parking tag. Why? Her doctor insisted because she can't walk more than a few feet and be out of breath. So because she can walk and doesn't use a wheelchair she should have to park 300 yards from the front door at the grocery store? She wouldn't make it to the front door! 911 would get there faster than she would.

Common sense appears to have gone wayside with the dinosaurs and dodo birds.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:15 PM

You should smack your head because the spots are wider to allow people to use walking aids.

As for the rest you are exagerrating the 300yards and so further discussion is uselfess.

I think you are the one who has lost both his cool and common sense. By taking that route just shows you had no real point to make when confronted with logic. It is like discussing race and the person does not like how the discussion is going and so uses the racist card. Same here, did not suit you so you go for the OMG! Common sense deprive, blah, blah, blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive