Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 07:21 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Please link where it specifies wheelchair. That makes no sense, as one can be just as immobile without a wheelchair.
Do your own research. I found with a simple Google search. .gov document as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A deer crossing sign is a leaping buck. Are only bucks who are leaping allowed to cross the road? Funny thing. I've only seen 2 bucks cross the street ever and I've lived in deer country most of my life. One took his sweet time. The other one was young, agitated, and kicking out to the side. I've seen hundreds of does cross the street and never was one leaping....running yes, but not leaping.

Cow crossing signs are female cows. Bulls and calves certainly cross the street!
Tangent again.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The ADA was for those who use wheelchairs, but it was also for those with other kinds of disabilities. I know. I'm Deaf. I also use a wheelchair. The ADA was written for everyone with a disability,, not just wheelchair users.
The context is the extra width parking spot. Keep it in context. Repeatedly mentioned as well. Some folks will say anything to rationalize their poor behavior.

Last edited by Felix C; 05-08-2015 at 07:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I think many of us are going off on irrelevant tangents. The point is, OP is judging handicapped people based on what he/she sees, knowing nothing about them at all, and deciding that they don't deserve to park in handicapped spaces. That's a pretty nasty attitude, IMO.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:50 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We have had placards and plates in 2 states. In both of them the DMV has a form that has to be filled out and signed by a doctor for a placard or plate to be issued.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:58 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The context is the extra width parking spot. Keep it in context. Repeatedly mentioned as well. Some folks will say anything to rationalize their poor behavior.
Actually, in several places we frequent, the only handicapped spaces also include the loading zones. Costco is one, and so is Shoprite (local grocery chain). What is a cane user to do then?

From the Delaware DMV website:

Quote:
To obtain a special plate or placard for the first time, customers must meet one of the following requirements:
  • Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest; or
  • Cannot walk safely without the use of or assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair or other assistive device; or
  • Is restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the applicant's or household member's forced (respiratory) expiratory volume, one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg. at room air or rest; or
  • Uses portable oxygen; or
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that the applicant's or household member's functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to the standards set by the American Heart Association; or
  • Is severely limited in his or her ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition.
NOTE: Applicants 85 years of age and older need only show proof of their age to obtain a placard.
You may notice that more than just wheelchair users are entitled to use handicapped parking, regardless of the loading zone.

Given the choice, I'll use a regular handicapped spot, or a regular non-handicapped spot if it's closer, but I feel no guilt for using one with a loading zone.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Actually, in several places we frequent, the only handicapped spaces also include the loading zones. Costco is one, and so is Shoprite (local grocery chain). What is a cane user to do then?

From the Delaware DMV website:

You may notice that more than just wheelchair users are entitled to use handicapped parking, regardless of the loading zone.

Given the choice, I'll use a regular handicapped spot, or a regular non-handicapped spot if it's closer, but I feel no guilt for using one with a loading zone.
Why would you do that? Doh! I didn't see that you use a cane.Sorry

Last edited by Versatile; 05-08-2015 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: To correct my self.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:21 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
When did you make it clear, before this, that you were talking about van accessible spots? Forget it, not important. It's clear now. Van accessible spaces are indeed for wheelchairs unloading from a van. However, the law does not forbid other people with other disabilities from parking in them. While it should regulate that, the law does not. We are at the mercy of those who ignore courtesy and park in them even when there are other spaces available.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
A lot of times myself and others with handicap plates, will use one of the wider spots. Especially if the other handicap spots are regular narrow spaces.

Reason. I drive large SUV or Large Pickup both 4X4. When getting into or out of one of the vehicles, I need room to open the door fully, to get in and out, which the narrow space does not allow this especially if the cars on both sides are parked near the dividing line. Too many parking lots, are designed for small narrow cars, not full size vehicles like I drive.

I drive the type of vehicle I drive, because in the winter I need them to be able to go where I need to go in snow and ice conditions.

Also as I am tall with a long body, and I cannot even get in and out of small cars.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:45 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Why would you do that? Doh! I didn't see that you use a cane.Sorry
No worries.

My car is small and low, but it is a two door, so the extra room helps for exiting and re-entering the vehicle. I just had surgery today, which will now necessitate my using a walker or wheelchair wherever I go. At least for the next month, because I'll be non-weight bearing for a time. I will definitely need the wider spaces then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive