Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 06:58 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My Silverado has a full size spare, but I still carry a portable 12 volt compressor, and a tire plug kit. My Wifes Maxima has a donut, and I wouldn't expect her to change the tire....told her if she can't reach help by phone, drive on the darn thing....I don't care if you destroy a rim, just drive slowly and hobble along till you reach help.
Another Silverado owner who carries a compressor and plug repair kit (plus a full set of tools). I do that now primarily for the trailer; but you never know. But when I off-roaded and lived in Moab, I learned my lesson on just having a spare. I also crank the spare down every year and lube the drive system so if I need it, it won't be frozen in place.

Also carry a can of ether starting fluid in case I have to reseat a tire to a rim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
ikr? I rent cars and some have a can of fix-a-flat. TRUE STORY!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:57 PM

308 posts, read 499,202 times
Like many others have said, they do it to save weight and money.

I still prefer to carry a spare. I also carry extra tools, breaker bar, etc. I also bought a bottle jack for my truck.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:17 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
For weight and space reasons, for the most part.

Both my BMW M series and other car doesn't carry any spares (they have staggered tires) which would have to mean carrying two different size type of tires (front's are thinner than the rear) in case of a flat//just too much space and weight for a performance car.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
We have roadside service, that we can call to come out and take care of us in case of flat tires. We each have a cell phone.

Problem: Out in the wild west, you may be in an area out of service for 50+ miles in each direction, and the cell phone is worthless at times like this.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:36 AM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Exclamation Spare Tire Can Be Dangerous:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
More and more, the spare tire is being replaced with and inflator kit. Is this simply an issue of saving money or is it because tires are much less likely to go flat than in the past?
The spare tire can be very dangerous. I do not like the spare tire. I remember some people drive regularly on their spare tire. Hundreds of miles for many months. Their car looked very silly doing that.

If that is not the reason why they do not have the spare tire any more, then the reason could be that car manufacturers are silly.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Lots of women and old people don't have the strength, dexterity or skill to lift a tire or use a jack.
They used to have the strength. What happened? Has the human race suffered some kind of medical collapse that I haven't heard about?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

Both my BMW M series and other car doesn't carry any spares (they have staggered tires) which would have to mean carrying two different size type of tires (front's are thinner than the rear) in case of a flat//just too much space and weight for a performance car.
Staggered has nothing to do with it. Performance goes out the window when you are riding on a space saver spare that's smaller than any of the tires on the car. 50miles and 50mph max, remember? They just didn't do it because of weight and ease of use like all the rest.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They used to have the strength. What happened? Has the human race suffered some kind of medical collapse that I haven't heard about?
Be careful, this is bordering on stupid post of the day. At 72 I can't throw tires around like I did at 30.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:17 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post

I had staggered wheels car in the past and it comes with a little spare so that has nothing to do with it. BMW uses runflat on a lot of their vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive