Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
CR hates Jeeps. I wonder what percentage of 2000 model year Cherokees are still on the road and what percentage of 2000 Corollas?
They don't hate Jeeps. You should read their reviews.

Jeeps are slow, don't handle well, don't get good fuel economy, have historically had cheap interiors, are noisy, etc. But they are really good offroad, and people like the looks/lifestyle associated with them. Reliability has never been a strength of the Jeep brand. Remember - the reliability data comes from their subscribers.

Jeeps don't score well on CR's tests, which involve measurements and road tests. Not how cool it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I used to subscribe to Consumer Reports. I allowed the subscription to expire because I found that I quite often could not believe what they were saying about various things, including vehicles!
I had a 1984 AMC Eagle that went over 200K miles, with no major component replacement.
I have owned several Jeeps of various models. None had the reliability problems that CR said they would, and none rolled over (why on Earth would anyone be foolish enough to make a right angle turn at 30+ MPH in a high center of gravity vehicle?). I know a couple of them went well over 200K. Many had well over 100K.
I had a Dodge Ram 3500 CTD that had 276K when I got rid of it. I no longer needed a truck that size, and I wanted a truck that I could tow behind the motorhome.
So, I got a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The motorhome tows it nicely, and it has 198K on it, plus several thousand miles in tow.
I once had a 1952 Kaiser Manhattan that had well over 100K on it.
I have had Fords and Chevys that were close to 200K with minimal maintenance.
Sorry, but the recommendations of CR mean nothing to me. It seems they will ALWAYS recommend foreign cars over U.S. built models (yes, I know, many "foreign" cars are built in the U.S. now). Having been a subscriber several times over the years, I can only say "Never again!"
Another person unable to read, apparently. CR does not ALWAYS recommend foreign cars over US brands. Lots of American brands (regardless of where they are built) are recommended. Just look at their ratings.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Everyone is not a DIY. Most people will drive 15-20K a year, so typically 3-4 oil changes are needed if they do it at 5K and if they go to the dealer, it will be $30-40 since most newer cars use a synthetic blend oil.

I agree wheel alignments are when needed, but even my mostly highway driving, I need an alignment after about 9-12 months. Firestone, sears , and others will not honor the tire warranty if it wears out too soon and they see you are not doing atleast 1 wheel alignment a year minimum, even though they recommend every 6 months.

I change air filters and cabin air filters twice a year and they are always very dirty and my wipers start streaking after about 4-6 months.

As for the timing belt, thats why I said CERTAIN MODELS, many hondas and toyotas still used belts and have to be changed around 90-100K. As for tuneups, you DO NEED to change your plugs at 100K as platinum plugs typically last that long.

As for everything else i listed, that is why i said after a car is paid off, which is usually 5-6 years for most folks and many are approaching that 90-100K mark by then when many things need to be changed like serpentine belts, coolant, trans fluid etc. My batteries usually have lasted 3-5 yrs.

Brakes are only cheap when you DIY, and since every one doesnt know how to change brakes, many will pay the dealer $150 per axle for a brake job with good pads and even more if they need rotors.

I do most of my own work on cars as I know it will be done correct and not rushed, but many of my friends that knows nothing about cars have no choice but to pay what I mentioned to get their car fixed.
The average American does not drive 15-20K. Recent data says 13,474 miles per year. The typical oil change interval is closer to 7500 miles these days. The maintenance minder on two of my Hondas says 5% oil life around 7000 miles. That's when I change it. So two oil changes per year. Our old F250 V10 had a 5K interval, but my Audi has a 10K.

The Average American Drives This Much Each Year -- How Do You Compare?

I think Texas roads might be in better condition than those in snow/ice areas. But I haven't had an alignment in over 25 years with more than a dozen vehicles owned over that period. How is it that you need one every year? Discount Tire has never given me an issue on a warranty issue - but I have had almost zero issues related to a tire warranty.

Air filters are usually on a 30K schedule, and I haven't found a reason to change them early. Just because they look dirty doesn't mean they are too dirty. That's the cheap tactic Jiffy Lube uses to get people the change them early. Cabin filters are the same. But they are cheap in any case - about $10 if you do them yourself.

I agree spark plugs might need to be changed about 100K - which is how long they last now.

A typical transmission fluid interval is 30K, but many cars expect it to last far longer.

Honda V6 engines need a timing belt - typically at 105K miles now. I won't DIY that - so that's a $750-$1000 service.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:56 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
How fast are you using your wipers? I grew up in Orlando, I don't remember my parents replacing their wipers every 4 months.

You don't need to do a wheel alignment every year. That's just insane unless you drive 30k or more a year. It's recommended you do it when you change your tires.
Unless I get the wipers that are $20 a piece, usually after 4-6 months they don't make a clean streak, so I just get some new ones and in 5 minutes everything is all better for $15-20. I could keep them on there longer, but that is just one of my random nitpick items.

Usually when I do an alignment check every 6 to 9 months, it does show its slightly off, but Atlanta can have some random potholes or these cheesy iron manhole covers all over the place.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:25 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Doesn't mean you wouldn't have had the same experience purchasing only cars they recommend. One doesn't exclude the other

All it really says is (1) you take good care of your cars and/or (2) cars are very well made today regardless of mfg
What it proves is that CR is worthless. If you're saying I would have got the same results following their recommendations, then what is the point of CR? I know you're wrong about this. No, I'm only a little better than the average guy at taking care of my cars. I drive the hell out of them. I don't do anything special to make them last. Your 2nd point is correct. They all do a better job building them than they used to.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:18 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Unless I get the wipers that are $20 a piece, usually after 4-6 months they don't make a clean streak, so I just get some new ones and in 5 minutes everything is all better for $15-20. I could keep them on there longer, but that is just one of my random nitpick items.

Usually when I do an alignment check every 6 to 9 months, it does show its slightly off, but Atlanta can have some random potholes or these cheesy iron manhole covers all over the place.
Try Valeo wipers. Purchased my most recent set Sep 2014 and so far no streaks or skipping. Still cleans fine. Not sure if any local stores carry them but is available online

Old 05-10-2015, 06:12 PM

661 posts, read 1,248,324 times
My Toyota Celica passed 300,000 miles already....didn't mean to rub it in.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Any car can go 200 K miles or much more as long as the owners have deep pockets. You can religiously change the oil every 3,500 miles, the transmission fluid at 15 K, the coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, and with a lot of luck the power train might last 200 K miles. Therefore, you saved all that new car payments.
You wish.
But: The power steering rack will leak. So will the radiator, the transmission, the water pump, the crank main seal, the alternator will go, along with the window regulators, the brake master, the calipers, the clutch (if not an automatic), the fuel pump, all the little relays, the ignition switch, the struts, the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold.
The a/c compressor, the timing belt, the headlight switch, wiper motor, they are all likely candidates for replacement around the 100 K mark, then again at 200 K.
But you saved the car payments, isn't terrific?
And when after 10-15 years you grab a calculator and add up all that expenses, you realize you spent a small fortune to keep an old beater going to 200K miles.
If I were really poor I would get the cheapest new car, a Toyota Yaris or Corolla, keep it until 90-100 K and trade it in on another. The payments were $200-300 a month, and the maintenance was another $ 1,500 for the life of the car.
The guy with the 200K car probably spent more than $ 1,500 just to keep the a/c going.
Or buy a used 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser and never worry about failures. At least that has been the experience of myself and a lot of others. 1998 LC, 331k miles and still running strong with the only non-maintenance failure being 1 starter.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
They don't hate Jeeps. You should read their reviews.

Jeeps are slow, don't handle well, don't get good fuel economy, have historically had cheap interiors, are noisy, etc. But they are really good offroad, and people like the looks/lifestyle associated with them. Reliability has never been a strength of the Jeep brand. Remember - the reliability data comes from their subscribers.

Jeeps don't score well on CR's tests, which involve measurements and road tests. Not how cool it is.
You realize you have just bolstered my argument, right? Jeeps are slow? Compared to what? They don't handle well? Like a sport car, or like a big squishy riding Cadillac? I could go on but everything you've written is totally subjective as is the narrative that Consumer Reports issues with their reports and some buy into it 100% without the slightest discerning eye.

And, yes, I understand fully that their reliability data is based on their already biased subscribers but is augmented by undisciplined judgements based on historical reports from those same subscribers "when sufficient data is not available." I also understand that any organization can set up measurements and road tests that will prove their hypotheses. Has all this escaped you? Are you one of the CR loyalists?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:15 AM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Any modern day vehicle can go 200K Miles as long as you take care of it and maintain it properly plus consumers reports is not like it used to be and manufactures can buy good Reports/press from them.

my guess is Honda and Toyota take out huge ads with them and thus get more favorable results then if they fork out lots of cash and did not advertise with Consumers reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Any car can go 200 K miles or much more as long as the owners have deep pockets. You can religiously change the oil every 3,500 miles, the transmission fluid at 15 K, the coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, and with a lot of luck the power train might last 200 K miles. Therefore, you saved all that new car payments.
You wish.
But: The power steering rack will leak. So will the radiator, the transmission, the water pump, the crank main seal, the alternator will go, along with the window regulators, the brake master, the calipers, the clutch (if not an automatic), the fuel pump, all the little relays, the ignition switch, the struts, the catalytic converter and the exhaust manifold.
The a/c compressor, the timing belt, the headlight switch, wiper motor, they are all likely candidates for replacement around the 100 K mark, then again at 200 K.
But you saved the car payments, isn't terrific?
And when after 10-15 years you grab a calculator and add up all that expenses, you realize you spent a small fortune to keep an old beater going to 200K miles.
If I were really poor I would get the cheapest new car, a Toyota Yaris or Corolla, keep it until 90-100 K and trade it in on another. The payments were $200-300 a month, and the maintenance was another $ 1,500 for the life of the car.
The guy with the 200K car probably spent more than $ 1,500 just to keep the a/c going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Some models have a design flaw, and no matter how well maintained they won't make it to 200k without major repair. For example, the 2010-11 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain which had the "zebra striped" piston rings, some of those didn't even make it 40k miles before needing new engines. Some of the 2011-12 Hyundai 'Theta II' engines are also having issues with spun rod bearings and oil consumption over 60k miles, likely due to fuel diluted oil. You just never know, especially with a new engine design.

What we are referring to is cars in an ideal situation. Most cars should last beyond 200k easily these days with oil changes and proper maintenance. Of course cars with flaws wont last but we are referring

And another thing we are referring to the engine lasting 200k miles and trans, ofcourse other small minor things will happen but as long as the engine is still running strong that all matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive