Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:31 AM

802 posts, read 1,684,183 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Just wanted to hear your opinion on this. Today, I was driving behind someone who was going under the speed limit and they were randomly braking at intermittent times. Obviously, I knew they were lost or looking for the correct place to turn. I never tailgated them or honked, but at one point, they came to a complete stop with no indicator and there were cars BEHIND me so I finally did honk at this point. There is nothing wrong with this, correct? Also, I guess this depends on where you are from as "honking etiquette" probably differs from state to state. Please discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 01:59 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
It's not that deep. As the lost driver, I would think the other drivers can go around me.

If I was one of the other drivers, I would wait patiently as I've been lost before. I understand what the lost driver is going through.

I rarely ever honk my horn. I'll get to where I'm going eventually. I'm not an impatient driver.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
I think they already knew they were lost, and bringing that to their attention would have no positive value.

If they had gotten out and walked back and asked you for directions, would you have felt equally put out by their taking up time in your busy day? How would you have expressed that to them?

Old 05-09-2015, 02:54 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,609,714 times
Honking is slightly obnoxious also to nearby residents. I try to use it quite sparingly for things like real wake up calls or hazards. I would more often flash my lights since it makes no noise and hopefully the original driver is SMART enough to pull over and let people get by then they can take teir time to sort all out.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
i try to honk my horn as little as possible. there are times though it needs to happen to remind people that they are not the only people on the road, and that they need to pay attention to others as well as to what they are doing.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:37 PM

802 posts, read 1,684,183 times
I don't honk in this situation out of impatience. I honk because it's dangerous to come to a complete stop on a single lane road with no indication of what you're doing. People are so distracted these days and I don't want to increase my chance of getting rear-ended.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:40 PM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I don't honk in this situation out of impatience. I honk because it's dangerous to come to a complete stop on a single lane road with no indication of what you're doing. People are so distracted these days and I don't want to increase my chance of getting rear-ended.
Exactly!
If somebody is lost, it really IS possible to turn onto a side street in order to reorient one's self, rather than stopping in a traffic lane on a road that has just one lane in each direction.

I have driven for the past 45 years without being involved in a traffic accident of any kind, and if anyone thinks that I will tolerate being stopped in a travel lane because somebody is confused about their whereabouts, then they are mistaken. I will most definitely sound my horn in order to get that person to move and to cease their dangerous and selfish driving style.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:38 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,538,219 times
I dont get why so many do this nowadays, I dont think it ever happened until about 12-15 years ago. I mean they just sometimes stop in the lane, or creep along at 5 MPH. I mean I have been lost I might drive a little slower but not like that. Sometimes I am patient. Often I go around them with horn blaring, as said above they are driving dangerously and you cannot predict what they are doing.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:56 PM

7,129 posts, read 4,848,432 times
If I'm lost and there is someone behind me, I will pull to the side with my right blinker on and let them pass.

Just because you're lost or are searching for the correct street to turn on doesn't mean you are the only person on the road. Be aware of your surroundings for gods sake.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:09 PM

3,513 posts, read 773,275 times
i got honked at today for making a right turn in a no right turn situation .. i let them know the were # 1 with me ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive