Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:47 PM

17,120 posts, read 56,786,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The 1960s and '70s Mopar Torqueflite automatic transmission did not need fluid changes except under "severe" conditions (trailer towing, for example).
I have read similar about other transmissions and rear ends (RWD) - I do think that the guys in marketing had a hand in writing up this sort of spec. I wonder what the chief engineer for the car or transmission would tell you in confidence over a beer, as to if the fluid needs periodic changes or not.

It is true particularly with modern ATF you don't really have to change the fluid that often - I have seen fluid go 100K miles and still look good - but at the same time on most transmissions, auto or manual, changing the fluid is a very cheap and easy maintenance to do. I do it as cheap insurance against problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 PM

24,473 posts, read 33,157,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have read similar about other transmissions and rear ends (RWD) - I do think that the guys in marketing had a hand in writing up this sort of spec. I wonder what the chief engineer for the car or transmission would tell you in confidence over a beer, as to if the fluid needs periodic changes or not.

It is true particularly with modern ATF you don't really have to change the fluid that often - I have seen fluid go 100K miles and still look good - but at the same time on most transmissions, auto or manual, changing the fluid is a very cheap and easy maintenance to do. I do it as cheap insurance against problems.
If was fairly common for owners of cars back then to ignore the transmission & rear ends (until there was a problem!). The G.M. Turbo-Hydramatic and Mopar Torqueflite transmissions were well-built and rugged and as long as the fluid level was at the proper height, they lasted many years.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:23 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,162,649 times
Manual transmission all the way.

In fact my hard line desire to only drive manual transmissions just saved me a ton of money. I was looking at a BMW 3 series wagon with the diesel. I really loved everything with the car and was impressed with the automatic that it had. Yet, when it came down to it...it was still an automatic and was missing that third pedal. No sale. Talk about saving me money!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:45 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,433,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Ah grasshopper.

Driving a stick is being one with the car.
One with the car!!! What does that mean? Some kind of kinky stuff!!!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:51 PM

11,296 posts, read 16,588,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
One with the car!!! What does that mean? Some kind of kinky stuff!!!
If you need to ask, you wouldn't understand. But keep trying grasshopper.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,339,286 times
in the last forty years of driving i have never owned an automatic. like someone said, being one with a car. to me the stick, the motor is direct solid hook to the transmission, not just pushing a hydraulic pump.

you not going understand unless you own a stick

Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 PM

21,536 posts, read 27,783,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
which is better?
There's no "better". It's personal preference.

Unless I'm stuck in tons of traffic all the time, I go manual whenever possible. It is hard to find certain cars in manual these days though. My "fun" car is always manual.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:49 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,211,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I have a 1987 Civic Si parked in the backyard with a broken timing belt. The clutch is still fine after 260,000 miles.
I already mentioned my Ford pickup's 300k mile clutch replacement (because we already had everything apart to replace the throwout bearing and decided to replace the clutch while we were in there. Even though the clutch was working fine)
Which, for the guy who said it wasn't easy "these days", was swapped out in the back yard... lol

We also have an '03 Focus with 220k on it and the clutch is still working perfectly.
Like I said, other than the pickup, I've never had a clutch that didn't last the life of the vehicle, and I only drive domestics.

And for whatever it's worth, most of the 200k+ drivers on several car boards I frequent, are manuals. It's not just my experience that they last longer...though, of course, the plural of anecdote isn't data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Driving manual is an art like riding horses is - it is reserved for those who pursue it more than the masses any more.
I think you're right.
Then again, I also have horses

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Ah grasshopper.

Driving a stick is being one with the car.
Unless that car is a Geo Metro

I'd rather drive an automatic Nissan GT-R than a stick Corolla

Old 05-14-2015, 11:00 PM

87 posts, read 80,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Unless that car is a Geo Metro

I'd rather drive an automatic Nissan GT-R than a stick Corolla
Now you're talking...I'll take an R35 GTR any day. Evo freak here, and they don't come in auto but that's good. A GTR's paddle shift will be sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive