Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

When I take decisive action, I'm being assertive. When anyone else does, they're being aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 05:36 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I'd say there's a difference between healthy aggression and the type of sociopathic narcissistic aggression I've seen some posters here take where they wish bullets in the head of people who dare get in their way for more than 10 seconds having to cut people off and dart in between lanes of traffic to get places a few seconds faster.

Life is not black and white.. it's shades of grey. I can have my aggressive moments and may be somewhat assertive but try to relax and realize that mental discipline will get me further in life than letting my narcissistic tendencies run wild. The only thing you can really control in life is your behavior and your thoughts.. trying to change others is a futile endeavor.. you only are affecting yourself with your negativity.

Those aggressive people are good though because they counter the real slowpokes and help overall to keep us a faster society. Ying and the yang. Wouldn't want to be stuck back at a national '55' speed limit again.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When I take decisive action, I'm being assertive. When anyone else does, they're being aggressive.

Everyone who does faster than me is an idiot. Everyone who goes slower than me is a moron.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,123 times
At 16, I got my first lesson in driving assertively from my driver ed instructor. He said, when you merge into traffic, signal, look, and then take your place in that lane as if you mean it.

To me, good assertive driving is a combination of assertiveness, courtesy, and defensiveness. Assertiveness means driving in a way that elicits consideration for your space, right of way, and intentions. That means being respectful and understanding of others, signaling, communicating, and making sure you're seen, and acting on your intentions in an appropriately decisive manner. It means knowing other drivers' blind spots and staying out of them; positioning your vehicle so as not to cause alarm or consternation; and being reasonably predictable for everybody around you. The courtesy is basically recognizing that everyone else there has the same rights, to space, right of way, and being able to proceed without being vexed. Defensiveness is about understanding that not everybody plays by the rules, or has lapses in attention, judgement, or ability, and giving yourself opportunity to bail at any moment.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:05 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
It's funny how many people complain about others tailgating them, but I find that when you have respect for other drivers, and you see they are coming up behind you , and you GTFO the way like people will rarely tilgate you. I don;t understand why people have to have so much pride, if you're driving slower than other you just are!!

Drive however fast you want, but don't try, and subject other drivers to what you want.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:04 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Isn't "defensive" driving to keep the other guy from reaching his goal?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I think aggressive driving kind of depends on the circumstances. If you're out there in a congested metro area with the road warrior commuters at rush hour, everyone is trying to get to work or get home as quickly as possible. If you're a clueless left lane bandit, you deserve the flashing high beams, horn honks, and extended middle fingers as the world passes you on the right. Move with traffic or get out of the way.

I used to have that life. If I could go 80 in a 65 on my way to work, I'd go 80. That saved 10+ minutes of commute time per day that I could use for other things in my life. It adds up. I haven't had a commute in more than a decade. I slowed down. I watch my mirrors and get out of the way when someone is rolling up on me at 80. If there's nobody behind me, I yield to people and wave people on. I assume many on them have a tight time budget and I don't.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Isn't the objective of "defensive driving" to keep the other guys from reaching their goal when they've got the ball?
That's why AAA no longer uses that phrase to describe their refresher driving course. It's called a "safe driving" course now.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Yes, there is a thin line between assertive and aggressive......sometimes they cross-over.

I am currently a slow/granny'ish driver, mainly because I am driving a big van full of my possessions, my home. I have no problem with assertive or aggressive drivers.......but when the aggressive drivers cross-over into being dangerous idiots, that gives me pause.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:32 PM

323 posts, read 222,099 times
I'd say well...cautious assertive at 4 way stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive