Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 12:01 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Suppose the speed limit is 60, but due to heavy congestion the left lane is moving along at 50, and the right at 40-45 mph. People in the left lane are generally following the vehicle in front of them per the 2 second rule, and thus unable to go any faster than 50.

Every so often a gap will open up in the right lane, perhaps because someone took an exit. Some drivers will see that gap, move over to the right lane, pass as many cars on the right as they can, and then try to jump back over to the left lane thus gaining a few 'places in line' so to speak. I view this as queue-jumping and a word I'm not allowed to say here on CD. I will speed up just a little to make it difficult for them to get back over in the left lane.

Also I never understood trying to keep someone from getting in front of you if you know they want to go faster than you? Why do you care if you don't want to go as fast as them anyway? It seems like the crabs trying to pull the escaping crab back into the pot.

The other day I was on my way home in just this situation--left lane going about 50, and right lane doing 40-45. There was this one car, one of those boxy looking crosses between SUV and compact sedan. It was a model I don't think I've ever seen before, and I'm sure it was an almost-new car. No less than 3 times he jumped to the right lane, passed me on the right, spurting ahead, and wound up boxed in because no one would let him over. We had created a left lane 'curtain' that he could not penetrate.

He would have to fall back and wait for some slower driver in the left lane to let him back over, maybe even ending up further back than he had been. THREE times he did this. The last time he had success and I didn't see him again.

Opinions?
If you're going faster than right lane traffic, then how is anyone passing you using the right lane? I think your gap is probably too big, and probably you shouldn't be in the left lane. If people in the right lane are passing, the left lane people are doing something wrong.

I never understood why people care if someone gets in front of them if they already know that person wants to go faster than you. Chances are when traffic opened up, he'd still want to go faster than you would want to go, so why not let him get in front? Out of curiosity if traffic did open up, would you have moved into the right lane and let the people who want to go faster use the left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Why potentially cause a wreck or road rage incident like this guy in the truck did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA7BASFqXIw

Just let the guy wanting to speed ahead go and be done with it.

To the OP, you should read this thread to give you a better perspective on how some people feel about what you proposed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ailgaters.html

`
I have seen that video, and that is a very poor comparison. That guy also had a high BAC IIRC, something like .16 or .18., which is stumbling drunk.

We were cruising along at 50 mph, following just tight enough to make it a problem for the jumper to move over. At no time did I follow so closely that I would have been unable to stop if the driver ahead had braked. There was no accident--not even close--and I have not caused an accident, not even a fender bender, in over 25 years of driving.

Comparing that guy to me is not just a poor comparison, it is absurd lunacy, and I think illustrates the mentality of some of those on this thread.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you're going faster than right lane traffic, then how is anyone passing you using the right lane? I think your gap is probably too big, and probably you shouldn't be in the left lane. If people in the right lane are passing, the left lane people are doing something wrong.

I never understood why people care if someone gets in front of them if they already know that person wants to go faster than you. Chances are when traffic opened up, he'd still want to go faster than you would want to go, so why not let him get in front? Out of curiosity if traffic did open up, would you have moved into the right lane and let the people who want to go faster use the left?
These points have already been covered. see post #50. Your other questions have been previously covered and answered as well.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
The more I drive, the longer I live, I don't care WHAT OTHER drivers do.....as long as they don't slow ME up.

Yes, I have at some point, closed a hole and kept another car from getting in front of me.

BUT I also usually drive so there's no hole in front of me for them to squeeze into.
So I don't usually have to INTENTIONALLY keep a person out.

But sometimes I also let them in because I don't feel like being bothered with keeping them out....
If they're reckless let them just go on ahead and about their business.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
You never did respond to post #17. How many pages ago was that? Again, respond to that, and then we can go on to deal with the fresh stuff that you churn out. Including your multiple promises to vacate the premises.
This is hilarious. I replied to you 4 times, and not only are you still pretending that you didn't understand me, now you're mumbling about things I didn't even say. "Multiple promises to vacate the premises?" I'm sure you wish that were true, but once again, your reading comprehension fails you.

If that's any indication of your overall situational awareness, I honestly question whether you have any business even operating a motor vehicle in the first place. Especially when you drive in the foolish and unsafe manner you brag about in the OP.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
This is hilarious. I replied to you 4 times, and not only are you still pretending that you didn't understand me, now you're mumbling about things I didn't even say. "Multiple promises to vacate the premises?" I'm sure you wish that were true, but once again, your reading comprehension fails you.

If that's any indication of your overall situational awareness, I honestly question whether you have any business even operating a motor vehicle in the first place. Especially when you drive in the foolish and unsafe manner you brag about in the OP.
You mean you deflected 4 times. You never responded to post #17, wherein I quoted you and showed how you were wrong THREE times within one brief sentence. That was 6 pages ago, yet it still is not too late for you to finally respond. I would graciously accept your apology!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:48 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I used it as an example. However BOTH the Camaro & the truck caused it. Had the truck not sped up to keep the Camaro from getting in the lane (as it relates to this threads subject) and being on it's way, it never would have happened.
While I do understand that the Camaro was being the aggressive driver, the truck driver was not driving defensively, otherwise he would not have sped up. Then to make things even worse the truck driver intentionally kept brake checking the Camaro. Worse yet, he intentionally paced with the tractor trailer in the right lane for several minutes to block the left lane, so the Camaro could not get around. So while the Camaro driver certainly had some fault, so too did the truck driver for his actions!

As I mentioned in the other thread, far too many people play games on the road that they would never have the guts to do in real life. Can you imagine a person like the truck driver not letting someone behind him get around him by intentionally blocking him? Yet that is exactly what he did behind the perceived safety of his truck.
Far too many drivers feel empowered to act like power tripping idiots because they figure no harm will come to them. As we have seen time and time again with videos, accidents, road rage shootings, etc. can and do happen as a result.
The best thing to do is let the aggressive drivers get as far away from you as possible and not try to play cop of the highway.

`

`
Camaro is 100% at fault because he tried to pass in the median, which is the sole cause of the accident. Contributing factors were: 1. being drunk, 2. The truck blocking his path. The truck did not cause the accident at all.. He got a drunk upset is all. The Camaro guy decided to try and pass in the median. If he hadn't done that, no accident, just bruised egos. This is discussed at length over there in the other threads. Let's leave it there.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The guy in the Camaro caused that one. There's two threads on it here already.
Thats true, because the Camaro was DUI. But there was so much FAIL in that video from every driver. Apparently the highway patrol bought the pickup driver's argument that he could not move over because of the truck beside him. I don't buy it. He was clearly LLBing. He should also have gotten a ticket for impeding traffic. The truck driver could have also probably prevented the incident. It was a bad situation for him to be in with those two road raging idiots stuck beside him. He could have slowed down a bit and given the Camaro room to move in front of him. And the camera car was clearly tailgating multiple times. When his cell phone rang, I thought OK, this is it. They are going to crash and he is going to plow right into them. But he lucked out.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:33 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Have I done the right lane pass? Absolutely. Call me a dangerous driver if you will. But, it entirely depends on the situation. When I'm on a highway at rush hour knowing full well the highway is stacked end to end I do not make such a move because for one it is dangerous because there really isn't any room and it gets you no where. But on a highway where this shouldn't be happening, I generally get past the bottleneck which is usually a left-lane hugger who will not move to the right while everyone else just sits back and ties up traffic. I only do such a move when I see clear sailing several cars ahead.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:39 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
I have seen that video, and that is a very poor comparison. That guy also had a high BAC IIRC, something like .16 or .18., which is stumbling drunk.

We were cruising along at 50 mph, following just tight enough to make it a problem for the jumper to move over. At no time did I follow so closely that I would have been unable to stop if the driver ahead had braked. There was no accident--not even close--and I have not caused an accident, not even a fender bender, in over 25 years of driving.

Comparing that guy to me is not just a poor comparison, it is absurd lunacy, and I think illustrates the mentality of some of those on this thread.
Why must everyone exaggerate.
I never said it was a perfect or even a close comparison. However the similarities are there because it is clear you have put a lot of thought into this, and even have descriptive terms like "jumper" and "left lane curtain". So if you are driving defensively, and keeping a proper distance as you described, when a so called "jumper" tries to speed up along your right with the intention of scooting in, you presumably are speeding up to prevent it.
That is exactly what the truck in the video did initially.
Granted what happened afterward is unrelated(assuming you wouldn't pull the same stunt he did by brake checking and purposely pacing the vehicle in the right hand lane to prevent the guy from getting around you.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the frustration of trying to keep a safe distance at highway speeds, only to have others take advantage of the spacing and get in front of you. If you attempt to drive that way, you will find plenty of people that will take advantage. The question is, do you allow their behavior to cause you to do something unsafe, or do you just continue to drive defensively and back off from them at a proper driving distance?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive