Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

Suppose the speed limit is 60, but due to heavy congestion the left lane is moving along at 50, and the right at 40-45 mph. People in the left lane are generally following the vehicle in front of them per the 2 second rule, and thus unable to go any faster than 50.

Every so often a gap will open up in the right lane, perhaps because someone took an exit. Some drivers will see that gap, move over to the right lane, pass as many cars on the right as they can, and then try to jump back over to the left lane thus gaining a few 'places in line' so to speak. I view this as queue-jumping and a word I'm not allowed to say here on CD. I will speed up just a little to make it difficult for them to get back over in the left lane.

The other day I was on my way home in just this situation--left lane going about 50, and right lane doing 40-45. There was this one car, one of those boxy looking crosses between SUV and compact sedan. It was a model I don't think I've ever seen before, and I'm sure it was an almost-new car. No less than 3 times he jumped to the right lane, passed me on the right, spurting ahead, and wound up boxed in because no one would let him over. We had created a left lane 'curtain' that he could not penetrate.

He would have to fall back and wait for some slower driver in the left lane to let him back over, maybe even ending up further back than he had been. THREE times he did this. The last time he had success and I didn't see him again.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 12:37 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Suppose the speed limit is 60, but due to heavy congestion the left lane is moving along at 50, and the right at 40-45 mph. People in the left lane are generally following the vehicle in front of them per the 2 second rule, and thus unable to go any faster than 50.

Every so often a gap will open up in the right lane, perhaps because someone took an exit. Some drivers will see that gap, move over to the right lane, pass as many cars on the right as they can, and then try to jump back over to the left lane thus gaining a few 'places in line' so to speak. I view this as queue-jumping and a word I'm not allowed to say here on CD. I will speed up just a little to make it difficult for them to get back over in the left lane.

The other day I was on my way home in just this situation--left lane going about 50, and right lane doing 40-45. There was this one car, one of those boxy looking crosses between SUV and compact sedan. It was a model I don't think I've ever seen before, and I'm sure it was an almost-new car. No less than 3 times he jumped to the right lane, passed me on the right, spurting ahead, and wound up boxed in because no one would let him over. We had created a left lane 'curtain' that he could not penetrate.

He would have to fall back and wait for some slower driver in the left lane to let him back over, maybe even ending up further back than he had been. THREE times he did this. The last time he had success and I didn't see him again.

Opinions?
I've seen similar things happen to folks who were continually jumping from lane to lane. They force everyone on the brakes when they cut over, and eventually, folks get tired of it, so they close the gap and box them in. It's actually quite entertaining to watch from a distance, although I prefer not to raise the ire of fools myself; they might just crash into you.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I initially thought you were referring to something (e.g. an actual curtain) to keep rubberneckers from slowing down traffic. Especially when the accident is on the other side.

It's really frustrating to be stuck in traffic, then to find out that it had nothing to do with your side of the road.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:40 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,578 times
It's an art form to make sure there is plenty of room available to pass without tipping off the enemy as to your intentions. I generally don't do it very often, but if I can see there is one car holding up the left lane, I'll move around others if I can in order to get in front that jerk.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:22 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
So you think it's a good idea to be a highway vigilante?

I can't agree. You could cause an accident, and if traffic is that close together it could be a big one.

Just drive, make sure what you're doing is safe, an don't try to police the other drivers.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
So you think it's a good idea to be a highway vigilante?

I can't agree. You could cause an accident, and if traffic is that close together it could be a big one.

Just drive, make sure what you're doing is safe, an don't try to police the other drivers.
Agreed. Nothing on the road is worth dying for. I've seen this situation before, and fortunately, the person who got boxed in had brains enough not to try for a wreck. While his being boxed in certainly seemed to cut down on the brake light waves, it could just as easily have resulted in a major wreck or death had he been a real road rage type.

As for me, in heavy traffic or light, I am quite content to leave enough room for someone to change lanes safely in front of me. I really don't get the hang-up some people have about it.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:45 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
The left lane curtain increases traffic flow because all the drivers are driving as a pack. This is the same theory used for automating cars. The pack is safe as long as they travel at the same speed.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
That's called road rage, and is illegal. When in the presence of an idiot like that, just let him get past you and relax. Your brief moment of satisfaction is not worth an expensive ticket, accident, or getting shot. OK, in Bellevue the last is not likely, but I have seen it happen in CA.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why? What makes it any of your business? Just drive your own damned car and mind your own damned business.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:40 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Why? What makes it any of your business? Just drive your own damned car and mind your own damned business.
Why? Is that a serious question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive