Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Most people couldn't tell the difference if their lives depended on it. I have electric on my 2015 Sonata and my 2016 Silverado. It works just fine. My 2015 Wrangler is hydraulic. It works just fine too. I really don't care which I have.
Read reviews of cars with EPS, by Car & Driver, etc.

You'll find plenty of complaints of "numb steering", lack of feel, poor centering, especially from 2004 - 2015 model years. It's steadily improving though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:14 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah my 2015 Kia Forte has the same Comfort/Normal/Sport settings. I just leave it in Sport all the time for some sort of feeling. Comfort is crazy, way too light.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:11 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
GM got their electric steering from sabb when they owned them the Avalanche and the Malibu were the first to get it, and they had real problems at first with it.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah my 2015 Kia Forte has the same Comfort/Normal/Sport settings. I just leave it in Sport all the time for some sort of feeling. Comfort is crazy, way too light.
Forte! Lucky you! 🙂

Normal mode is fine for most off-highway driving for me. I use Sport on the highways, because it seems my eyes and steering wheel are connected: Because of how I'm 'wired', I tend to steer wherever I glance, and the extra weight of Sport mode mitigates that.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Read reviews of cars with EPS, by Car & Driver, etc.

You'll find plenty of complaints of "numb steering", lack of feel, poor centering, especially from 2004 - 2015 model years. It's steadily improving though.
Professional drivers may be able to tell the difference, but 99 percent of the American driving public can't.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:42 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Just make it adjustable and give the drivers a choice. With a Camaro SS you have the choice between Touring mode (rather feels like a Camry), Sports mode, Track mode and Snow/Ice mode. Track mode is a little hard and made my girlfriend too dizzy after several miles of windy roads, so I wasn't allowed to use it anymore.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Just make it adjustable and give the drivers a choice. With a Camaro SS you have the choice between Touring mode (rather feels like a Camry), Sports mode, Track mode and Snow/Ice mode. Track mode is a little hard and made my girlfriend too dizzy after several miles of windy roads, so I wasn't allowed to use it anymore.
What IS track mode, and what about it made her dizzy?

By the way steering mode is being supplanted by drive mode lately, which makes adjustments to power train as well as steering. I prefer them to be separate, as all I want is to be able to change amount of steering assist, not tx shift points, etc.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Update:

I recently drove a 2014 Chevy Cruze and 2013 Toyota RAV4. The Cruze definitely has EPS, and I *think* so does my friend's RAV.

On both, I find the steering to be too light for my taste, but the steering wheels center, and stay centered, reasonably, on both vehicles. No self-steering, like that 2011-13 Sonata, nor any wander. There is also modest weight build up of the steering wheel when turned left or right beyond 11 or 1 o'clock on both the Cruze and RAV, but not as much as on my 2015 Elantra even with Normal steering selected. Conversely, my old 2005 Malibu had zero streering heft across the wheel's entire range of motion, and modest return-to-center from a turn. Even with its relatively narrow 65-series tires.

I do find that careful adherence to the cold tire pressures recommended on the B-pillar load stickers also plays a big role in steering and road feel in cars with EPS. I personally find that inflating to more than 1-2psi over those figures makes the steering oversensitive, and a bit twitchy. Even inflation also makes a difference, so if your car calls for, IE: 33psi all around, that does not mean 32psi in one tire, 35 in another, and 31 in the others. Why I come across cars with pressures that unequal is beyond me! I even them all out, and the thing drives fine.

One note about my friend's 2013 RAV4: I drove it with 'Sport' mode on and off(you also must re-engage it every time you turn off that particular model and restart it), and felt zero difference in the steering feel, again, even after careful adjustment of the tire pressures(33psi all around). Next time I will drive it on the highway with Sport mode off, then engage it, and see if steering weight changes, or if acceleration or shift points change.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 12-21-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-21-2019, 11:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
EPS has gotten a lot better.
First experience with EPS was way back in 2004. It was really horrible.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
EPS has gotten a lot better.
First experience with EPS was way back in 2004. It was really horrible.

I just feel that early on, the engineers overcalculated how much equivalent electrical power they needed to match the same effort with conventional power steering. And Hyundai just plain blew it with their first EPS models, for 2011-13. And never openly admitted they made some mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive