Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times

Advertisements

No and i really appreciate those people who flash their lights at me at like 4pm to tell me that im supposed to have them on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I drive all the time with my "parking/running" lights on as I believe it makes me more visible to other drivers. My wife's Suzuki Gran Vitara will put the "parking/running" lights on when set to automatic lights.
That is actually against the law in Texas, do you notice they are called "Parking Lights" they are only to be used if parked on a roadside at night.

I drive with headlights on, vehicle mfr designed it that way, anytime vehicle is started the headlights come on automatically, I can then turn them off, but if I turn ignition off then back on the headlights come back on.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Around here most of the highways have daytime headlight requirements. So generally I use them all the time. When I remember anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:14 AM

13 posts, read 12,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
It's not that hard!! Pretty straightforward, actually.

My kids figured out how to replace the headlights and/or tail lights on 3 different models of vehicles we have, and have done so over the years. There are lots of online videos showing how to do this as well.
That actually backs what I said. As an adult, try changing the headlight on a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse. You need those tiny arms of a child to reach where the light bulbs go! Not at all practical placement for adult arms.

Oh yeah, I knew what to do, but my arm couldn't contort as needed for that feat.

Thankfully I've since upgraded from that car, but must admit I'm still not into car repairs. With my current ride, the non-standard wiper blades pose the new challenge. Nope, not gonna mess with it. I buy them and then watch the Auto Zone guys struggle to figure it out each and every time.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:09 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Headlights are on all the time for whatever vehicle I drive. Studies showed years ago that visability of your vehicle increases significantly during the day with them on (I remember reading the number is like 20% increase in visibility). Motorcyclists (and motorcycle manufacturers) know this to be true and do the same because of the dangers inherent in being on just two wheels... ever notice how the vast majority of them drive with headlights on all the time?

I believe in doing everything possible to make my vehicles more noticeable (and less likely to be hit). Changing headlights in my vehicles has never been difficult or expensive so using up the "hours" of the bulbs doesn't even enter into the equation. Driving with the parking lights on just seems like a huge mistake waiting to happen as I would have to remember to shift to the proper lights at night, or when raining etc.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Here in Canada, professional drivers are taught that when the key is turned on........so are the headlights.

Jim B.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM

162 posts, read 212,826 times
Yes.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:51 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
No one has explicit said this, so I will.

In restricted visibility, having your headlights on has TWO functions.
One: to see where you are going, and (in many cases more important),
Two: make it much, much easier for others to see (and notice) you.

I'm pretty confident with my driving, but I'd put a 500,000 candlepower marine strobe on my roof it it was allowed, to make sure others looked up from their texting and spotted me.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
It's not that hard!! Pretty straightforward, actually.

Depends on the car. On my Infiniti, you need to jack up the front and remove the wheels and then remove the inner fender liner to access the area to swap out headlight bulbs. Not hard, but not something everyone can easily do.

Anyway, with regards to the thread. No I do not drive with my headlights on all the time. It's it's a bright sunny day and I'm driving down the beach, i don't need them. If it's cloudy and overcast and i'm driving through wood-covered roads...ok then I need them. For the above reason I don't like having to change out my headlight (HID) bulbs all the time as it's not exactly fun pulling wheels off when it's snowy and 5 degrees outside.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:20 AM

155 posts, read 302,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I'm pretty confident with my driving, but I'd put a 500,000 candlepower marine strobe on my roof it it was allowed, to make sure others looked up from their texting and spotted me.
hahaha!!! oh that was funny!

You are right, I like to do whatever I can to avoid accidents and make it easier for others to see me. When it's particularly bad in the winter I will be put my flashers on because it makes you much more visible in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive