Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
This is kind of a silly thread but I was thinking about it today after reading an article where many people get ticketed for not having their lights on when their wipers are on (it's a law in NJ).

I put my headlights on every time I drive whether rainy or sunny, night or day! I guess it's unnecessary when it is bright out but it's just a habit now. That way I know I won't get a ticket when I use my wipers since they are always on! I think of it as a safety precaution as I might be driving when the sun is going down.

Is this a waste?
It is NOT a silly thread.

I drive with the lights on ALL the time, day/night, sunshine/rain-snow, anytime I have the vehicle running the lights are on.
No If, ands or buts, the lights go on.

It is a safety issue. They make lights that run when the ignition is on anyway, mine doesn't have them, so I manually turn my lights on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 10:32 AM

13 posts, read 12,227 times
Interesting ... from motorists.org:

8 Reasons To Oppose Daytime Running Lights

8 Reasons To Oppose Daytime Running Lights

In reviewing the literature related to the value of DRLs, "pro" DRL studies were regularly criticized for their failure to consider confounding results or other mitigating factors.
Increased fuel use and resulting emissions are modest on a per vehicle basis. However, multiplied by millions of vehicles, these amounts become significant, especially in light of the absence of proven off-setting benefits to the consumer.
While we understand the desire of automobile manufacturers to "harmonize" their product lines from country to country, the NMA believes the real negatives of hard-wired DRLs far outweigh the unproven and hypothetical advantages. The NMA generally supports the notion of "consumer choice" as it relates to vehicle equipment. However, it is not the purchaser of a DRL-equipped vehicle who suffers the immediate consequences of DRL operation (other than fuel utilization and electrical system maintenance), but rather the other motorists who are subject to the glare and distraction of DRLs.
The reasons to oppose daytime running lights can be summarized as follows:
1) They increase visual glare.
Headlight glare from both oncoming and following vehicles is the most common complaint registered with our office. General Motors vehicles are the most often cited sources of DRL glare. Reported motorists' responses include the use of nighttime rear view mirror settings during daylight hours, maladjustment of external rear view mirrors, and the use of sun glasses even during low light and cloudy conditions. The most frequently cited reaction is one of "aggravation" or "irritation." All the aforementioned add additional stress to the task of driving, resulting in shorter tempers and less attention paid to the task of driving. Also, the maladjustment of rear view mirrors means they are not able to serve the purposes for which they are intended thereby increasing the likelihood of an accident.
2) They obscure the directional signal lights.
DRLs are blamed for reducing or obscuring the visibility of directional signal lights.
3) They increase visual clutter.
Rather than simply increasing conspicuity, multiple vehicles with DRLs are found to be distracting and adding an element of confusion to otherwise normal traffic flow.
4) They mask other roadway users
DRLs dominate visual attention to the exclusion and disadvantage of pedestrians, bicyclists, highway workers, and other vehicles that do not have DRLs.
5) They reduce the conspicuity of motorcycles.
Many motorcyclists feel that the conspicuity of their smaller vehicles is increased by operating with their headlights on during daylight hours. There is concern that the widespread use of DRLs on automobiles will eliminate the (assumed) value of daytime headlight use by motorcyclists.
6) They distort distance perception.
Complaints of distorted distance perception vary. Certain individuals claim DRLs make on-coming vehicles appear closer than they really are. Others people make the opposite claim. What is consistent is that DRLs distort distance perception.
7) They reduce emergency vehicle conspicuity.
Daytime use of various lighting systems serve to distinguish emergency vehicles from other traffic on public roadways. This differentiation is diminished (if not eliminated) by large concentrations of DRL-equipped vehicles. This is also a concern for convoys of slow moving vehicles and special circumstances such as funeral processions where groups of vehicles are not moving in sync with normal traffic flow.
8) They can discourage motorists from using standard lights.
Because DRLs provide a degree of forward lighting, many motorists fail to turn on their standard lights in low-light, low-visibility situations. This means the rear lights of certain vehicles are not illuminated. We believe DRL use increases the probability of rear end collisions. The potential for daytime tail light use to mask brake lights has already been recognized, as evidenced by DRL circuitry that excludes activation of tail lights.
Ultimately, the fact remains that any motorist who feels the need for greater conspicuity has the ability, immediately at hand, to turn on his or her headlights. This is not a task that can be classed as arduous, difficult or confusing.

Last edited by Love the Sunshine; 05-21-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,000,438 times
Not only do I not drive with the headlights on, but I have the DRL function on my Charger turned "off." I see no necessity to run the lights in normal daylight conditions. They do turn on automatically with the wipers, or in dark conditions.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 12,227 times
Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights

The Association of Drivers Against Daytime Running Lights - DADRL - is actively working to stop governments and manufacturers from installing Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) on motor vehicles. There is no conclusive evidence to show that DRLs are effective at reducing crashes. Rather, there are a number of safety-negative side effects of DRLs on automobiles, including emitting excessive glare to other drivers, masking of other vulnerable road users, and increased energy consumption. Please browse our pages to learn more about how DRLs are an ill-conceived safety gimmick and how you can help us to combat them.
Check out our sister sites: Bulgaria, Lithuania, Poland, UK.

BOYCOTT OF THE MONTH

2013 Hyundai - ALL MODELS

Hyundai has decided that for the 2013 model year most, if not ALL of its models would come standard with high beam DRLs. This isn't about safety, folks (see below), it's about a cheap gimmick. If Hyundai were truly concerned about safety, they would read the reports about DRL ineffectiveness in the US and choose not to implement them. Instead, they enable the most glaring and cheapest DRL solution. When shopping for a new vehicle, drive past the Hyundai dealership.

NHTSA FINDS NO SIGNIFICANT BENEFIT FOR DRLS

Big news: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has recently released a technical report finds DRLs are of practically no use, and further admits that DRLs have negative safety consequences. In NHTSA's own words:
"The analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effect on the three target crashes. When combining these three target crashes into one target crash, the drl effects were also not statistically significant. When examined separately for passenger cars and light trucks / van (LTVs) , drls in LTVs significantly reduced LTVs involvement in the target two vehicle by 5.7 percent. However, the remaining drl effects on these three target crashes were not statistically significiant. Although not statistically significant, drls might have unintended consequences for pedestrains and motorcycles. Particularly, the estimated negitive effects for LTV's were relatively large and cannont be completely ignored.
"Currently the NHTSA is in the rulemaking process in response to General Motors (GM) petition to mandate DRLs. This report will affect the rulemaking decision. Therefore the report is considered to contain 'highly influential scientific information'."

About the Association

We are a grass roots Internet organization. We have no central location and we have members from across the world. There are no membership dues. The mission of the organization is to end hardwired daytime running lights and to encourage the responsible use of vehicle lighting. Additionally, we want the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to inform motorists that the daytime use of headlamps is not beneficial to overall safety and that such practices be discouraged. The scope of our organization originally to combat the proliferation of DRLs in the United States. Recently, however, our efforts have broadened to Europe, Japan, and Australia.
While we would welcome a reduction in the DRL intensity from the current 7000 candela down to a less glaring 800 candela (measured at 14V) at any point in the lamp's beam pattern as a responsible step for NHTSA in eliminating annoying glare, we would continue our mission to end hardwired DRLs and oppose any efforts to mandate the devices until such time as they are proved to be of a safety benefit as demonstrated by competent studies.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:57 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,276 times
I do. I've read it's safer and it only takes about a tenth of a second to flick the switch to turn them on. I do it without thinking about it now since I've gotten so used to doing it.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
I would turn on the DRL whenever I was on a rural two-lane road, because it made me more visible to oncoming traffic. Now that my new car has automatic headlights, I tend to just leave the "auto" feature turned on, and let the car decide if it wants to use DRL or regular headlights. I've noticed, though, that it doesn't always kick over to headlights when it rains, so I do that manually.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Our 2003 Chevy Astro Van has the lights on when ever the parking brake is released and the van is on. When we are driving they are on. Our 2011 Honda Accord has Daytime Driving lights on all the time. We do have to remember to turn on the lights when it is night though.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:33 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
This is kind of a silly thread but I was thinking about it today after reading an article where many people get ticketed for not having their lights on when their wipers are on (it's a law in NJ).

I put my headlights on every time I drive whether rainy or sunny, night or day! I guess it's unnecessary when it is bright out but it's just a habit now. That way I know I won't get a ticket when I use my wipers since they are always on! I think of it as a safety precaution as I might be driving when the sun is going down.

Is this a waste?
I don't put my headlights on because my car has daytime running lights. When I had a car without them, I did drive with headlights on. I always drive with my lights on in rain, fog, and snow. The idea is to make yourself visible to other drivers.

If you have a black or dark gray car, your vehicle may blend into background in the distance, especially in cloudy weather or around sunset.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:07 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love the Sunshine View Post
Interesting ... from motorists.org:

8) They can discourage motorists from using standard lights.
Because DRLs provide a degree of forward lighting, many motorists fail to turn on their standard lights in low-light, low-visibility situations. This means the rear lights of certain vehicles are not illuminated. We believe DRL use increases the probability of rear end collisions. The potential for daytime tail light use to mask brake lights has already been recognized, as evidenced by DRL circuitry that excludes activation of tail lights.
Ultimately, the fact remains that any motorist who feels the need for greater conspicuity has the ability, immediately at hand, to turn on his or her headlights. This is not a task that can be classed as arduous, difficult or confusing.

Like a remaining 10% of their lights are not being used not a big deal it's likely that you can't tell the difference either way.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:24 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
We have DRL's and I always turn on the fog lights before driving. For some reason a full size black GMC pickup is invisible, I have been rear ended twice.
Ouch !!!....have had a couple close ones with my Black Silveardo myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive