Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 01:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

A used low mileage fully equipped Toyota Camry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 02:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Over 3 years....

Acura TL: $12,909 in premium fuel
Honda Accord: $9,880 in reg fuel

So he would save $3,029 in fuel alone. Not including all the work required on the TL I mentioned above.
That's not bad at all. The Accord will depreciate more than that just by driving it off the lot before putting any miles. I could sell the Acura for what I'll pay - no drive out depreciation.

I would own the Acura free and clear. I would end up paying $18-20k more for the Honda and have a car payment. Acura has Bluetooth recently replaced. Would need to replace timing belt, etc. in 10-15k miles. My concern is that it would make an additonal 60-80k miles in 3 years. After this assignment I would sell and get a new Acura TLX or RDX, which is what I would get anyways if I didn't have to put a car through so much in the near future.

I'm selling the Jeep in any case and using the funds to purchase whatever I get.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:26 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Sounds like a plan.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:50 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Just found out a friend of mine is selling a used 2007 Acura TL with Navi Tech for a very good price. It has 90k miles. It has everything I want except that it is used and uses premium gas. He said it can get 30 mpg highway. Is this a good option or would a new Accord be better? I would trade in the Acura when this assignmnet is over. Accord would be too new to trade. How reliable will a well maintained TL be going from 90 to 150k miles?? Should I consider this??

FYI I have a 13 year old Jeep with over 150k miles that has had more than its share of issues and gets 16 mpg highway on good days, much less in any traffic. It does use regular gas.
I wouldn't obsess over regular vs premium gas. Premium, at least around here, costs about 20 cents per gallon more than regular, regardless if regular is $2 or $4/gallon. Do the math, the premium fuel does not cost you that much more money.

Although, be clear to check the car out with a mechanic if you can't check it out yourself, don't take your buddy's word for anything. Assuming the car is in good shape, it should run out to 200K or more without issues.

Keep in mind that some cars like this have a timing belt that needs changing at something like 90 to 110K miles. If it needs that, rough estimate of cost $500, you need to do it, don't let the belt break and ruin the engine.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
You said no hybrids, but really a used Prius would be a great deal.

The only thing, I think the base model doesn't have is leather seats. Oh and the stock headlights are average. The higher packages may have leather and HID headlights.

We've taken ours on many road trips and 40-50 mpg is what we get. 62000 miles so far, the only thing we had to replace is tires.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
That's not bad at all. The Accord will depreciate more than that just by driving it off the lot before putting any miles. I could sell the Acura for what I'll pay - no drive out depreciation.

I would own the Acura free and clear. I would end up paying $18-20k more for the Honda and have a car payment. Acura has Bluetooth recently replaced. Would need to replace timing belt, etc. in 10-15k miles. My concern is that it would make an additonal 60-80k miles in 3 years. After this assignment I would sell and get a new Acura TLX or RDX, which is what I would get anyways if I didn't have to put a car through so much in the near future.

I'm selling the Jeep in any case and using the funds to purchase whatever I get.
No need to think of the Acura as a "grenade" when you finish this assignment. If you do the needed maintenance, it should be good to go for quite a few more miles.

Speaking of "grenade", check if the Acura has one of the recalled Tanaka airbags, lest it grenade in your face.

Unless you just don't have any place to keep it, you might keep the Jeep, you probably won't get that much for it in trade. Or by selling outright. Having multiple cars means if one is in the shop, you have a spare.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
A diesel powered car is a good option for highway travel. VW offers diesel in the Golf, Jetta, & Passat (VW's midsize sedan). Chevrolet Cruze also has a diesel option. Many compact sedans get close to 40mpg highway, but you'll get better comfort in the midsize class. On midsize class, you don't always have to get the powerful thirsty engine to get leather seats. In some models you can get the top line model with the base fuel efficient engine. You need to sit in each car to figure out which has the seat most comfortable for your body. Road comfort will vary by model as some offer a more sporty feeling suspension making them harder over bumps. I haven't driven the midsize class but have watched and read comparison test. Hyundai Sonata & Kia Optima as well as the Toyota Camry were pretty smooth over bumps. On the midsize class I'd say the Sonata, Camry, and Passat should be on your short list. On the compact class I'd consider the Elantra, Sentra, Cruze Diesel, Golf diesel, Jetta diesel, and Corolla. If you go up market from these brands, check Buick (Verano, Regal), Audi (A4), Volvo (S60), Mercedes C class, and BMW 3 series sedan. You'll get less MPG, but better comfort.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
To be fair, I'll list the compact and midsize sedans of the entry level brands. You look them up to narrow your search.
Compact-Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Dodge Dart, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, VW Jetta, Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza, and Mitsubishi Lancer

Midsize-Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Chrysler 200, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, VW Passat, Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mazda 6, and Subaru Legacy.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Thanks all. I wouldnt go upmarket for this, except for the used Acura. I'm not comfortable with anything smaller than midsize. I just made the drive and paid attention to the vehicles: lots of pickup trucks, 18-wheelers, SUVs, sports cars, and yes midsize cars, including plenty of Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, etc. But I saw very little smaller compact cars (Kia Fortes, Honda Fits, Prius, etc.) I would not feel safe making this drive in a Prius. Accord or Acura TL, I'd be OK - plenty of those on the road.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:35 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I would look at the used Acura, change the timing belt now, and get the fluids changed as well at 90k. It could be a very good buy, and use synthetic oil. It would not cost you as much as the depreciation in a newer Accord with higher mileage, and would have residual value for a trade-in/sale, even with 180k on the odometer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive