Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 PM

55 posts, read 238,301 times

Advertisements

I won't give any make or model suggestions. But if I were going to commute 100 each way, three times per week, for several years... then I'd want a vehicle that is FUN to drive. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:02 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
What weather can you expect through the year?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:30 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I feel your pain, and know where you live by your user name. My "home sweet home" Not. My suggestion is (and I'm being completely serious) is you get a different job. I've lived here most of my life, and will hopefully be moving soon, and a lot of the reason is because you can't get where you want to go. I don't know what you do, but our traffic here is INSANE. Even if you only have what you believe would be a 20 minute drive, much less 100 miles, it can easily become double that by wrecks, road construction, and slowdowns that you have no clue what the cause is. I'm not sure what your profession is, but please consider my suggestion. If you want to commute anyway, I suggest you avoid Hwy 290, 610 Loop, Hwy 59, and Hwy 45, as they get more clogged than Beltway 8, Hwy 99, Hwy 288, and I-10. Good luck with your choice of vehicles.
I would have to agree. Perhaps you could rent an apartment close to the new job. I did a 50 mile 1 way commute for years because I simply could not find another job that paid enough closer to my rapidly unaffordable yet "inexpensive" home.

You will be tired when you get to work and tired when you get home. If you get a poor night's sleep you will fall asleep at the wheel... BTDT

In addition to back problems and maybe sciatic nerve issues, you will be going through a lot of audio books. it's not a good way of living.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I would have to agree. Perhaps you could rent an apartment close to the new job. I did a 50 mile 1 way commute for years because I simply could not find another job that paid enough closer to my rapidly unaffordable yet "inexpensive" home.

You will be tired when you get to work and tired when you get home. If you get a poor night's sleep you will fall asleep at the wheel... BTDT

In addition to back problems and maybe sciatic nerve issues, you will be going through a lot of audio books. it's not a good way of living.
That is not an option at this time. We love where our current place is - great schools, extended family in walking distance, lots of good job opportunities for my spouse, have 3% fixed 30-yr mortgage on a house in a great family friendly neighborhood that is appreciating and improving, with lots of parks and cultural amenities, etc.

The job is in a more rural remote locaton with terrible schools, and there is very little that we like in that area.

The drive is because my wife doesn't want us to 'live apart', and I dont want to strain my family life. Having 2-3 years with this opportunity will make me considerably more valuable in the future in locations close to our house. Without that experience, my career will be significantly limited.

The Acura TL will be fun for me.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Why "regular gas" as opposed to diesel? Diesels are ideal for highway driving, offering better fuel economy and range than your gas alternatives. Not to mention that the range on a tank means you won't have to fill up every day.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:13 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why "regular gas" as opposed to diesel? Diesels are ideal for highway driving, offering better fuel economy and range than your gas alternatives. Not to mention that the range on a tank means you won't have to fill up every day.
No issues with diesel per se, but where I'm located, diesel is more expensive than premium gas and only offered at certain stations. Not sure who makes good diesels.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,106 times
You talking new or used? New check out the Ford Tarus. Large car, lot's of power and good hwy fuel economy. Used car for a good price that has similar attributes would be the Chrysler 300c. They are getting a little long in the tooth though.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I think you should work out at the gym until your back is sore, then go test drive a few different possibilities. Nothing worse than a long commute with a bad back in a car that has uncomfortable seats. Maybe consider the seats that have adjustable lumbar support.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,434 times
In my point of view ford c-max is the best. it gives good millage as well as luxuries travel to you.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My first thought was- Is this a joke? You can't be serious, a Honda 4 banger? A Yugo would be about the same.... I'd stick to an SUV of some kind.
Um, no your post is the joke! Goodness! Thinking a "4 banger" is not enough? Are you still living in the 70's? Plenty of 4 cylinders have over 200 hp, if that is what you are into. Last I checked you can only drive 70mph on most big highways in the US. Why would you want more power? Small ego? Small something else?

Honda is an excellent choice. SUV's are way outdated. You don't want to drive a brick on wheels for a long drive, you want something modern. You seem to be on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive