Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
... Are you implying that I don't now remember what the symbol means? And where did you get the idea of "ignoring warning lights?" and my not being an attentive driver? You are really adding in a lot of assumptions that have nothing to do with this thread.
No, I am implying nothing. I am saying it's no big deal. You get a light, you take action. What else is there to this really? I recognize that you think the icon could be more user friendly, but then so could other iconography that we use every day. Even so, if it was changed to something you think is more recognizable, then someone somewhere else will not. Some may think a complete round wheel icon indicates that your wheel just fell off. Some may think it is time to rotate the tires. Some may think it is time to buy new tires. Some may think it is the Buddist "Wheel Of Life" and it is time to reincarnate. You read the manual to find out if you don't know. As I said, no big deal.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-27-2015 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
The first time this little light ever lit up in my car, I had to pull over and look it up in the owner's manual. It seems to me to be the most stupidly designed symbol for something that people need to recognize and attend to right away. Yes, it could light up when your tire pressure is just a little low, but mine was extremely low when this happened. I know a lot of people would not have pulled over right away to go thumbing through the owner's manual, but would have kept driving, and that could be dangerous.

Apparently I'm not the only one, because in this survey a few years ago, a lot of drivers didn't know what the symbol meant.
Do You Know What This Symbol Means? Neither Do One-Third of Drivers » AutoGuide.com News

It would make so much more sense, to have a round tire-shaped circle, a complete circle, maybe with some dot in the middle for the hubcap, and an exclamation point next to it. Or maybe a complete circle, but flattened on the bottom, to actually look like a flat tire. But to me, this looks like a pot or vessel, maybe with some liquid in the bottom. How is that symbol supposed to evoke the image of a tire that's going flat? Sure I get that the things at the bottom are supposed to be tire treads. But that open-topped shape does not look like a tire. Maybe a vase or a fish bowl. My first reaction was that some fluid was low.

Now this image is universally used in all vehicles, but it's the silliest icon ever designed. Everything else on my dashboard looks like what it's supposed to signify. The battery light looks like a battery. The oil light looks like a little can of oil. The little wrench light evokes the thought "I guess my engine needs someone who can wield a wrench." But this little lights makes me think "the goldfish needs water."

Anyone else agree?

Not me. Seems clear.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times
Quote:
The first time this little light ever lit up in my car, I had to pull over and look it up in the owner's manual. It seems to me to be the most stupidly designed symbol for something that people need to recognize and attend to right away. Yes, it could light up when your tire pressure is just a little low, but mine was extremely low when this happened. I know a lot of people would not have pulled over right away to go thumbing through the owner's manual, but would have kept driving, and that could be dangerous.

Apparently I'm not the only one, because in this survey a few years ago, a lot of drivers didn't know what the symbol meant.
Do You Know What This Symbol Means? Neither Do One-Third of Drivers » AutoGuide.com News

It would make so much more sense, to have a round tire-shaped circle, a complete circle, maybe with some dot in the middle for the hubcap, and an exclamation point next to it. Or maybe a complete circle, but flattened on the bottom, to actually look like a flat tire. But to me, this looks like a pot or vessel, maybe with some liquid in the bottom. How is that symbol supposed to evoke the image of a tire that's going flat? Sure I get that the things at the bottom are supposed to be tire treads. But that open-topped shape does not look like a tire. Maybe a vase or a fish bowl. My first reaction was that some fluid was low.

Now this image is universally used in all vehicles, but it's the silliest icon ever designed. Everything else on my dashboard looks like what it's supposed to signify. The battery light looks like a battery. The oil light looks like a little can of oil. The little wrench light evokes the thought "I guess my engine needs someone who can wield a wrench." But this little lights makes me think "the goldfish needs water."

Anyone else agree?

I don't agree.

The first time I saw that symbol, I knew it was about TPMS warning. It's a typical cross-section of a typical tire.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:11 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
I don't agree.

The first time I saw that symbol, I knew it was about TPMS warning. It's a typical cross-section of a typical tire.

If it was round I would think it was time to stop and get some donuts.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Bwa-ha-ha-ha, ruin the vehicle because of a low tire. My previous statement applies to you too!
If I drove with a flat tire, I'd damage my rims. No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
You can go to any tire store for free air even SAMs club has free air, but I Suspose some people don't even know what a tire gauge even looks like or don't even know how to put air in their tires.
Sam's Club? The closest one is over an hour away! So how would that help the people who don't live anywhere near one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
If you don't have a tire gauge and don't know how and where to fill your tires, you do not deserve your driver's license. Maintaining proper tire pressure affects traction, handling, safety, MPGs, etc. If it's too much to ask to buy a $5 tire gauge and find a gas station or tire store to fill your tires, then you should consider a bicycle.
There are plenty of people who don't know how to do this. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have a driver's license. The DMV has not made this a rule so chill out. You think 70 year olds with bad hips should be bending down or sitting on the ground checking their tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Maybe you live in the ghettos but I see air/water stations at every Shell station and most other branded stations. Many even take credit cards in case you don't have quarters. But a 12v emergency compressor can be had for under $50 and is good to have around. A tire gauge costs $3-10 depending on whether you want a plain stick gauge or a digital readout.
Nope. I don't live in the ghetto. I live in a rural area. There aren't any Shell stations here....You have Sunoco, Tops which is a grocery store, and BJ's......On the other side of the city, there's some no named gas station. Why are you being a jerk? No need to treat people like crap especially people you don't know and haven't a clue about. Who died and made you Mr. Wonderful?

Why all the jumping down my throat? Whoever said I don't know what a tire gauge is or how to use it? I have one that my dad got me from Snap On in my vehicle. Doesn't mean I ever use it. My Durango tells me my tire pressure and if there's a problem I go to the dealer which is 20 minutes away. No worries! I live in the country so there's no place to fill up tires unless I want to sit in the driveway and blow into the valve....no thanks!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why all the jumping down my throat? Whoever said I don't know what a tire gauge is or how to use it? I have one that my dad got me from Snap On in my vehicle. Doesn't mean I ever use it. My Durango tells me my tire pressure and if there's a problem I go to the dealer which is 20 minutes away. No worries! I live in the country so there's no place to fill up tires unless I want to sit in the driveway and blow into the valve....no thanks!
Since you live in the sticks then you need to be more self-sufficient. Get a 12v air compressor.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:57 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
ss20ts I just threw SAMs out there ther are plenty of tire stores or independent repair shops out there. Thers no excuse for people to have low tire preasure you can buy a cheap tire Compressor at Walmart or autozone. Read the whole response I posted not just the SAMs club remark.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Since you live in the sticks then you need to be more self-sufficient. Get a 12v air compressor.
I have AAA so I'm good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
ss20ts I just threw SAMs out there ther are plenty of tire stores or independent repair shops out there. Thers no excuse for people to have low tire preasure you can buy a cheap tire Compressor at Walmart or autozone. Read the whole response I posted not just the SAMs club remark.
What makes you think I don't know how to add air to my tires? Maybe I'd just rather pay someone else to do it? I did read your whole response and it was condescending. Still doesn't make me think I need to do more than I am already doing.....been surviving this way driving for 25 years......seems to be working just fine for me.

Oh and here's a shocker.....some of you may fall over and die from this one. I don't change my own oil either. The dealership does it!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:39 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I have AAA so I'm good!

What makes you think I don't know how to add air to my tires? Maybe I'd just rather pay someone else to do it? I did read your whole response and it was condescending. Still doesn't make me think I need to do more than I am already doing.....been surviving this way driving for 25 years......seems to be working just fine for me.

Oh and here's a shocker.....some of you may fall over and die from this one. I don't change my own oil either. The dealership does it!
Huh. You pay someone to put air in your tires? I think I have a bridge to sell you

Old 05-27-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Huh. You pay someone to put air in your tires? I think I have a bridge to sell you
Yup. They were filled over the winter while I had some work done at the dealership. One was really low and they had to check the tire to make sure it was alright. It wasn't free and I didn't complain about paying them for their service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive