Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Not all cars use sensors in the wheels so winter tires don't matter. For example, my BMW measures the speed differential of the wheels and computers that one has different pressure.
This is news to me. Interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
so at what pressure does the light come on ? .. i cant tell on my toyota by looking when a tire is 5 pounds under inflated ..
My tires are supposed to be at 32, and I've since found that the light comes on whenever they get to 26 or below, according to my gauge. The gauge on my compressor pump always says different though, so I rely on my hand-held gauge.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
It is not always exact... but the system on my car does show when something is wrong.

For example... For a year, I was always getting low pressure warnings. I'd check, and sure enough the tires were not even. After a while I came to realize it was always the right rear that was low. But usually only by about two to three pounds. I had the tire checked several times and they could find no leak. When the warnings started becoming more frequent, I had the whole wheel submerged for about a half hour in clean water. When the water settled I could see very slow frequency bubbles. Turned out there was a hairline crack - about a quarter inch wide in the wheel.

Even though I believe people should visually inspect their car before getting in each time, as said above, there are times the eyeball won't catch the issue.

There are some systems that seem to be a waste of money; but when your tires are only rated for about 18K miles, having one at the wrong pressure can wear it out in half that time. And I would rather not spend at least $600-$900 a year for a couple of tires or $1200-$1800 a year for a set of four. Or lose the car because a wheel broke.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
This is news to me. Interesting
I guarantee you if there is an easy simple way to do something, the Germans will find a more expensive, more convoluted way of doing it "better."

Lots of people hate TPMS and have horseshoe/exclamation point light fatigue, but AT LEAST the sensors have gotten cheaper and the systems can pinpoint the tire (on more some/more expensive vehicles). When changing tires or wheels you were almost guaranteed to need a couple because they wouldn't survive the trip. But, it is getting a little easier to deal with and maintain the system

Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
I think the symbol is pretty obvious.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I think the symbol is pretty obvious.
I find it bizarre that so many think it's obvious. How? How do you see any resemblance to a tire in tbat symbol???

And how do all these people own tire gauges? I can see a car geek, yeah. I am 56 years old and NEVER heard anyone I know mention owning a tire gauge.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:18 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find it bizarre that so many think it's obvious. How? How do you see any resemblance to a tire in tbat symbol???

And how do all these people own tire gauges? I can see a car geek, yeah. I am 56 years old and NEVER heard anyone I know mention owning a tire gauge.
No one mentions it because they cost less than $5 for a simple one and sit in a bin by the register at the parts store.

I have one in each of my/our vehicles.

They're like someone owning a hammer or a screwdriver, nothing exotic about them.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
My tires are supposed to be at 32, and I've since found that the light comes on whenever they get to 26 or below, according to my gauge. The gauge on my compressor pump always says different though, so I rely on my hand-held gauge.
Always check tires before you drive first thing in the morning or before you drive it that day to get a accurate reading. Remember the air in tires expand when they get warm.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I don't think the symbol is obvious. Nor do I have TPMS in any of my vehicles. I do have a gauge for each car in addition to a Sears portable compressor, and know which gas stations I can get free air at. The one around the corner is my favorite, as they toss the hose out the door every morning and it just has a simple chuck on the end of it.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,127,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It is not always exact... but the system on my car does show when something is wrong.

For example... For a year, I was always getting low pressure warnings. I'd check, and sure enough the tires were not even. After a while I came to realize it was always the right rear that was low. But usually only by about two to three pounds. I had the tire checked several times and they could find no leak. When the warnings started becoming more frequent, I had the whole wheel submerged for about a half hour in clean water. When the water settled I could see very slow frequency bubbles. Turned out there was a hairline crack - about a quarter inch wide in the wheel.

Even though I believe people should visually inspect their car before getting in each time, as said above, there are times the eyeball won't catch the issue.

There are some systems that seem to be a waste of money; but when your tires are only rated for about 18K miles, having one at the wrong pressure can wear it out in half that time. And I would rather not spend at least $600-$900 a year for a couple of tires or $1200-$1800 a year for a set of four. Or lose the car because a wheel broke.
$1200-$1800 for tires what are you driving tires last longer than 18,000 miles even the cheapest tires out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive