Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:26 PM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times

Advertisements

It's not just your kids you have to pay attention to, it's all the other kids in the neighborhood who may have slipped behind your car while you weren't looking. The cameras are great for that. Same thing for random toys left behind the car.

The camera on my SUV is pretty wide angle. I can back up a foot or two in parking space, and see the cars and pedestrians that are approaching, even though my view from the driver seat is blocked by the Suburban next to me.

Backing up to hook up a trailer is trivial with a camera.

For those who say they've been driving for decades without an accident, any safety engineer will tell you that the past is no guarantee of the future. You'v ejust been lucky so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Research shows benefit of rear cameras

Small kids, when directly behind a vehicle, aren't tall enough to be seen by rear view mirrors.
But regardless, you should never get in your vehicle on your driveway and backup without looking around it first. If your home is in a neighborhood where there are kids, pets, and such, you have to assume that there could be from children to pets, and even toys, under or behind your vehicle.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet with all of these gadgets, there are less accidents now, and less traffic deaths.
On the contrary. There are more accidents than ever before, because there are more people driving.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
Its for lazy people who cant turn their shoulder and look behind.
We have turned into an obese society. Maybe the "fat neck" folks have trouble using the side and rearview mirrors. I wonder what they do when merging into traffic? Do they ever look into the sideview mirror, and then turn their heads slightly to make sure there is not a vehicle close-by before they merge?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
When you get old enough, your neck no longer turns 180 degrees like a hoot owl. You still need to go to the store to fetch groceries. If the camera works it might be worthwhile. Being that the guvment mandates it, I am highly suspicious, because I have long known that the streets of hell are paved with good intentions and are paid for with other peoples money.
I am old, and can drive big rigs without a "butt" camera There is an exercise that helps old farts like us keep our necks in shape (just turn the volume down to ignore the language, and read the instructions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddaLuWKRHY

Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
On the contrary. There are more accidents than ever before, because there are more people driving.
Less overall than in 1990.
Much less per capita.

Traffic death rates are also much less overall, per mile driven, and per capita.

Either way you want to analyze it, traffic accidents and deaths are less, despite all of these gadgets. If these gadgets were so bad, then the rates should be going up rapidly as more and more people use them.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Less overall than in 1990.
Much less per capita.

Traffic death rates are also much less overall, per mile driven, and per capita.

Either way you want to analyze it, traffic accidents and deaths are less, despite all of these gadgets. If these gadgets were so bad, then the rates should be going up rapidly as more and more people use them.
Most vehicles don't have backup cameras. I don't think that the main reason for an overall decrease in traffic accidents is because of these, specially on the road where you aren't driving in reverse. Is it possible that more people are riding buses, trains, and so forth instead of driving to work? I imagine that more drivers have become aware or educated in relation to driving under the influence and the penalties involved, or maybe wearing seat belts, or even the use of baby seats and such? And don't forget about the use of air bags. These save a lot of lives.

In my view a lot of people aren't as involved on the driving, and eventually won't even have the need to drive. Self-driven cars will be the norm, I guess

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-23-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 02:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
All the vehicles that I've owned for the past several years have had backup cameras. Do they still make many cars without them? It's as ubiquitous as a GPS screen.

I did rent a Dodge Charger a few months ago and it didn't have one. But it seemed like a really low end model. I was disgusted when I saw the interior door panel and dash were made of plastic with leather-like texture rather than real leather. Who would buy that? What were manufacturers thinking?

Old 05-23-2015, 02:29 AM

190 posts, read 286,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Hey, if it prevents one kid from being run over regardless of who is at fault I'm all for it
You sound like a school teacher.

That is the same mantra they cry (It's For the Children) when they whine/strike for more $$$.

Puhleeeze,, spare me the dramatics.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:32 AM

190 posts, read 286,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I wonder what they do when merging into traffic? Do they ever look into the sideview mirror, and then turn their heads slightly to make sure there is not a vehicle close-by before they merge?
The Automakers are now offering 360deg perimeter cameras to cure that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive