Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:40 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,288 times

Advertisements

OP - what do you want to drive every day? There are a million opinions and your are in a situation where it isn't going to be a slam dunk decision either way. A week after you buy the truck and enjoy hauling crap without having to vacuum the carpets you're going to have a dinner invitation with three other people that won't be practical in the truck like it was in the car you traded. It's called life. Go look and test drive a few and see what you think. Then make a decision and get on with life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:29 AM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Just rent a truck when you need one. If you just want one because you want one, then get one.
I vote for this option too.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
OP - A week after you buy the truck and enjoy hauling crap without having to vacuum the carpets you're going to have a dinner invitation with three other people that won't be practical in the truck like it was in the car you traded. It's called life. Go look and test drive a few and see what you think. Then make a decision and get on with life.
That's where the 4 door quad cab comes in. A truck basically turns into a comfortable 4 door sedan with an open trunk. Trucks now days can be had with comfort options that rival and surpass most sedans so a truck is a perfect vehicle to use for a night out, no matter how classy.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:57 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
That's where the 4 door quad cab comes in. A truck basically turns into a comfortable 4 door sedan with an open trunk. Trucks now days can be had with comfort options that rival and surpass most sedans so a truck is a perfect vehicle to use for a night out, no matter how classy.
Like this?

Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Do you think your going to like how a massive truck drives compared to an SUV? If you think the SUV's of the world are not car-like enough, I am doubtful a pickup is going to drive idealy for you either. Many modern SUV's drive far more like a car than pickup trucks do.
Actually, many trucks drive quite nicely, FWIW. Way too many of my ex-neighbors thought my two F150s drove way too nicely for trucks. I'll take their word for it, since they did pay me for the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

If you don't need a truck... I wouldn't bother. They are not cheap to use as a commuter ($$$ tires and brakes).
The subie can be 'thrown away' when it has served it's useful life (~300k miles).
Your tires and brakes of choice made of platinum? Pads aren't a huge expense, rotors can be turned and tires...my last set I put on the SCrew (still on there, btw) before running off for finals in Florida was a hefty $160 mounted (factory size of 275/60/18, too). You can keep your new tires and warranties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Your best option may be to trade the Impreza in for a nice Crew Cab V8 full-sizer. They really do just about everything possible a vehicle can. They're comfortable and fairly fuel efficient (especially for what they are).

The reason I say trade in is this. They are a good value, but not quite cheap. A Ram 1500 with all the bells and whistles can be had for $35k for example. It's a better deal to get this than a stripped-out model and have 2 vehicles. Sure, you may pay a little less for gas, but overall vehicle running costs will be higher. Tires/oil/belts/registration/insurance/etc for 2 cars is more than 1.
Eh, if OP doesn't have tons of guests, he can still keep the Subie and do some Craiglist hunting for something like a reg cab/long bed F150. Someone out there is probably trying to get rid of one--maybe even with a camper top--for a couple grand because they are rather "undesirable" trucks, because you can't use one for much more than hauling stuff.

There are a handful of examples here--and I would trust most of those, too, as long as they were wigged out with HIDs and other garbage of that sort:

houston cars & trucks - craigslist

Old 05-30-2015, 02:47 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
OP, this should do it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=f650...2F%3B736%3B490

Old 05-30-2015, 03:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Your tires and brakes of choice made of platinum? Pads aren't a huge expense, rotors can be turned and tires...my last set I put on the SCrew (still on there, btw) before running off for finals in Florida was a hefty $160 mounted (factory size of 275/60/18, too). You can keep your new tires and warranties.
we all place different priorities / cost thresh-holds. I live in Mtns with 9% grade to town (LOTS of brakes required)

I have 5 trucks, but my cars are my commuter workhorses... $20 for pads (drums and rotors similar) and $5 for tires (I get car tires from wrecking yard $5 each (usually near new in pairs) and have my own tire machine and balancer)

Trucks... You can seldom find good used tires...
for my baby trucks (1T duallies) the tires are ~$150 - $200 each x 6. Pads ~ $50, drums and rotors ~ $100

I put about 20k miles/yr on my utility 'trailer' behind my CHEAP commuter cars. I LIKE the thought that I am putting junk, mowers, rock, scrap iron, dirt, bricks, lumber, and sand in a $400 'replaceable' vehicle. I never 'cringe' when the loader drops a bucket of rock in the trailer... not quite the same if a load of 3" rock gets dropped in your $40k pickup with a paper thin metal bed. I always wanted to see a YouTube video of a 10 yd quarry loader filling a Ridgeway or Avalanche with rock.

BTW: I am on my way out the door with the LARGE riding mower in the trailer behind 50 mpg Passat, headed 30 miles to maintain a rental property. The 20 mpg diesel trucks are staying home today (tho they all got a fresh oil change yesterday. 12 qts + 2 filters for the trucks ($100+ for synthetic) 5qts +1 filter for the cars ($40). )

Your priorities / tastes my vary.

I love my trucks and couldn't get by without them, but for the last 40 yrs they have got 'selective' use.
In my teens and 20's I exclusively drove my trucks, usually my 1951 GMC 1/2t purchased for $75, drove it for 20 yrs. I had a brand new 4x4 gasser that added only 34k miles in 10 yrs. then... I went to CTD. It is handy, as I can tow to 30,000 GCVW.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,542 times
Buy a truck and keep for 15 to 20 years. Ext cab with 6.5 bed. Forget midsize, go with full size. Stay with Ford, GM, or Ram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive