Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,111,732 times

Advertisements

My personal experience is opposite of the previous posters. Also many in my family and circle of friends do drive VW's & Audi's and continue to do so with very little issues.

The Passat is the better value car, plus unlike the Jetta (Mexico made) it is made in TN. I do believe the 2012+ Passat is best value medium-large sedan in its class (two year in the row car of the year).

Some Jetta's had issues couple of years back when they started to make them in Mexico. However the recent ones are as bad anymore.

The TDI (2.0 L diesel) is one of best engines widely used. A diesel engine will give you about 40% better MPG when compared to same gas car. So if your cost if diesel is less than 40% higher than regular gasoline, it might be worth it.
Plus with diesel engine you have lower maintenance cost (no tune up) and diesel engine usually last twice as much as regular engine while offering much higher torque.
TDI cars are more fun to drive due to high torque at low rpm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,282,593 times
I've never had any problem with VW's or Audis, not like the many stories I've read here. I know a VW tech, and the one VW he would never recommend would be the Touareg. Something to do with the minimum service time needed to replace bolt on components. That car is put together, where you need to drop the engine in order to replace water pumps, something like that. Other than that, Jettas are the economy version of the Passat, with interior finishes much better with the Passat model. Passat is roomier than the Jetta....

I've dated a lot of females who drove Jettas and GTI's and they never had problems with them. I've owned a GTI years ago, but have had Audi's for over 10 years now. The bottom line is that you need to do regular oil changes, using synthetic oil, perform the scheduled maintenance and all is good. If you buy used, have a mechanic check it out...don't buy ones that are lowered, with coil overs, sway bars, big brakes, upgraded exhaust etc.....especially if they are in their 20's....those cars are being raced

Every auto manufacturer has customer complaints, because people expect to squeeze the most out of every dollar they spend. You can start a thread about any car built, and you will get negatives for purchasing them. It's a lot harder for people to stick up for products they buy, but very easy to complain about them. Look at the numbers of VW's around......it's obvious that you are going to read more negatives about them since millions are driving them today.

Last edited by vigueur2014; 05-28-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Our Jetta has one problem. The A/C stopped working. One look at the cost to fix it and we just roll the windows down. Other than it has been pretty reliable. I hope it goes another year with no problems because then it will be paid off. We're going to replace it then.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,282,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Our Jetta has one problem. The A/C stopped working. One look at the cost to fix it and we just roll the windows down. Other than it has been pretty reliable. I hope it goes another year with no problems because then it will be paid off. We're going to replace it then.
If you live in a decent sized city, you probably can get that fixed from a certified VW tech, making extra side money looking on Craigslist, and many times they can fix it while it's parked at your work place.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:34 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,715,423 times
Ive never had any issues with VW. Ive owned a Golf, Jetta and a Passat and the only reason I don't currently still own a VW is because they don't make one in AWD. My most recent was a 2012 Passat TDI ... absolutely loved it. It was fast, solid, got 53 mpg's on the highway, and had an enormous amount of interior and trunk space. My friend has a CC, and my sister in law has a Jetta. The CC has an issue but it was covered under warranty and has been great ever since. My sister in law has a 2009 Jetta that she does not maintain at all and it has also never given her any issues.

Needless to say even though I love VW they are a little pricy when it does come time to fixing them if and when they do break. I like VW because they are not a cookie cutter car like Honda or Toyota and offer so much more I think in terms of drivability and quality. They may not have the reliability record like Honda or Toyota but they are much more fun to drive.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:52 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
If you live in a decent sized city, you probably can get that fixed from a certified VW tech, making extra side money looking on Craigslist, and many times they can fix it while it's parked at your work place.
Certified VW Techs advertise on Craigslist? How would I know to trust them? I'm in Northern Virginia near DC.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 AM

17,004 posts, read 21,686,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Certified VW Techs advertise on Craigslist? How would I know to trust them? I'm in Northern Virginia near DC.

no....unemployed oil change guys that changed oil on a VW once would advertise on CL....

Most techs just want their paycheck and don't want to bother with cheapskates that won't service their out of warranty made in Mexico VW at the stealership!

Old 05-29-2015, 08:56 AM

488 posts, read 851,619 times
I own a 2010 Jetta. I bought it used from a friend. When I bought it, it had around 29K miles on it, and a year and a half later it has 34k miles on it (both me and the previous owner work from home) and so far, I haven't had a problem. It was certainly a more expensive oil change than I'm used to, but so far, so good.

This same friend bought it because he had a work car that was a Jetta and loved it so much he bought one for his wife's personal car (which is what I now own). When they replaced his work car with another Jetta, he bought the work car for his personal use. He hasn't had any problems with either.

Mine is a manual, and his is an automatic diesel.

When I was doing research online before I bought this car from them, the Jetta had excellent reviews. Maybe my opinion will change once I rack up some mileage, but I have no complaints so far.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:03 AM

469 posts, read 572,563 times
For what it's worth we have a 2012 Passat SE that we bought brand new, and nearly 4 years/55000 miles later it has been flawless. It gets great gas mileage and it's so roomy you could practically live in it. No rattles or squeaks to speak of. We couldn't be happier with it honestly.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,637,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
For what it's worth we have a 2012 Passat SE that we bought brand new, and nearly 4 years/55000 miles later it has been flawless. It gets great gas mileage and it's so roomy you could practically live in it. No rattles or squeaks to speak of. We couldn't be happier with it honestly.
ah ok. U dont live all that far from me. Do u mind if I ask where u purchased ur car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive