Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 02:23 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,541,297 times

Advertisements

I knew how to parallel park at one time, but I haven't had to do it in years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 02:28 AM

16,544 posts, read 17,306,171 times
I used to park a Jaguar XJ, with its long overhangs, without parking sensors. These days with parking sensors and maybe cameras it makes it even easier.

I even got shown a self parking car recently- not sure I'd go to the expense of that but it was interesting.

The ability to parallel park here in the UK is generally required more than many parts of the US I think.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM

114 posts, read 262,452 times
It's as much about putting several skills together (close-quarters maneuvering, backing, checking for traffic, use of signals, blind spot monitoring, efficiency of maneuvering (does it take 10 backings to get in?), etc.). In many states, particularly more rural ones, it might not be a primary need. But it DOES show that the driver can put skills together, as well as not hit stuff. IMHO, Maryland is making a mistake by dropping it. We don't need to be making driver skills tests too easy.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 AM

551 posts, read 578,341 times
It's funny...parallel parking was the component of the licensing test I feared most. I struggled with it...I think it may have been the only thing I did right the first test! (Eventually got my license, on the third try.)
Now I take pride in it. I figured out the trick to working the angles just right and can nail it in one shot most every time. Parallel parking is my secret superpower
It should NOT be eliminated from the test. It is an important skill to have.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:06 PM

24,268 posts, read 25,762,958 times
Been licensed and driving for 58 years and have lived in medium to fairly large cities. Never had to pp when I got my license and not even when visiting large cities.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:21 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,521,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Fewer folks are able to parallel park these days, and it isn't required on most driving tests.
Do you think it's important for people to be able to parallel park, or is it just something cool to learn if you have the time?

I don't really care if others can't parallel park - it just means I have a better chance at finding a parking spot.
I did it during my driving test, but haven't done it since. I just don't go anywhere that requires parallel parking.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:01 PM

780 posts, read 2,905,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Fewer folks are able to parallel park these days, and it isn't required on most driving tests.
Do you think it's important for people to be able to parallel park, or is it just something cool to learn if you have the time?

I don't really care if others can't parallel park - it just means I have a better chance at finding a parking spot.
Is it important to have the skills and knowledge to change a flat tire even though your vehicle doesn't have a spare?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:40 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,884,999 times
I agree that it really tests your ability to maneuver in tight places. This comes into play when backing-up and going around other vehicles in driveways and/or garages.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:56 AM

520 posts, read 528,578 times
I live out in the west coast and in the suburbs where there are miles of parking lot in front of everything so I just dont parralel park and dont even know if I still remember how to to be honest. I know I had to learn it at least basically for my driving test. You couldnt pass everything else and then just flunk the parallel parking and get enough points, so I had to do it atleast moderately ok. Cant say as how I remember anything though.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,748,866 times
Okay, here's one I witnessed recently...

The individual managed to parallel-parked their car. However, both right wheels ended-up flush with the curb after the back-and-forth maneuvering. That had to require some serious tire scraping to get out of that spot.

I'm not sure that was a successful effort after-all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive