Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,753,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Because this is the USA not Europe.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,067,272 times
Murica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 AM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Complete biased bologny. The US has MORE stringent testing than Europe as a whole. The US uses higher speeds and heavier crash test dummies resulting in better results.

Don't know why people are so quick to believe the worst about the US, even to the point of inventing untruths.
This is true. Some people hear about one particular thing and generalize that over the entire system, whereas if they actually knew the truth, they'd see the US is more stringent in some areas and less stringent in others, to the extent that it's just as expensive to retrofit a European car for additional safety and environmental standards for the US as vice versa.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why do you prefer red blinkers in the rear? I see your point that if one sees a blinking light, of any color, one will eventually figure out that the person wants to turn in the direction indicated. But my point is by having the blinker a different color than the brake light, one can tell instantly whether it is a turn or a stop that is being signaled. Why do you prefer to have the brake and turn indicators be the same color?
Two lights--no, make that three lights (including the "high point light") = stop. One blinking light = turn. I can't imagine anyone in real life spending any time confused by someone tapping his breaks.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
You like to praise America and want to make everything more difficult when it is proven that amber back turn signals lead to less rear-end crashes even according to US studies!
I'd like to see that proof. I don't really care either way, but I'd like to see that proof.

I've also noted that a lot of imports also have red rear turn signals. There is no law requiring red rear turn signals, so if everyone else is making them amber, why wouldn't all imports have amber rear turn signals?

My daughter's Mitsusbishi, for instance, has red rear turn signals. I don't know whether the Mitsubishis intended for Japan have amber or not, but why would they have a second line installing red lights when no US law requires it?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 PM

493 posts, read 384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'd like to see that proof. I don't really care either way, but I'd like to see that proof.

I've also noted that a lot of imports also have red rear turn signals. There is no law requiring red rear turn signals, so if everyone else is making them amber, why wouldn't all imports have amber rear turn signals?

My daughter's Mitsusbishi, for instance, has red rear turn signals. I don't know whether the Mitsubishis intended for Japan have amber or not, but why would they have a second line installing red lights when no US law requires it?
Amber Rear Turn Signals Are Safer Than Red, But Few Use Them - Trailer Talk - TruckingInfo.com

Preventing accidents with amber turn signals

“In 2008, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, responsible for writing U.S. vehicle safety standards, released tentative findings that amber (‘yellow’) turn signals are up to 28% more effective at avoiding crashes than red ones,” wrote automotive author Daniel Stern on the website aCarPlace.com.
“Then, in 2009, they released preliminary findings that across all situations, including those in which turn signals don’t matter,vehicles with amber rear turn signals are 5.3% less likely to be hit from behind than otherwise-identical vehicles with red ones."

Old 06-02-2015, 12:16 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,182,860 times
03 VW Jetta has em

Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,083,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
we pretty much have to.

Spent my honeymoon in Ireland for a week or two. Average car size is much smaller than it is in the US.
American cars are tested to higher standards in collisions, because chances are if you get hit it's going to be by an SUV, not a fiat.

On top of that, US drivers rarely wear safety belts, and collision standards take that in mind over here. Not the case for EU.
That's complete nonsense.

The emphasis has been wear your seatbelt, wear your seatbelt, wear your seatbelt for a long time now.

Anyone who chooses not to wear a seatbelt is an idiot.

Also, anyone who doesn't belt their children into a quality car seat or booster seat, as required by law, should be charged with child endangerment.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM

15,410 posts, read 25,725,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Because they think that's what Americans want. Back home, the same car has amber signals.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Because they think that's what Americans want. Back home, the same car has amber signals.
I'd be surprised if marketing surveys show that Americans care...except to the extent that they've been annoyed by Europeans over the matter--such as this thread.

Otherwise, I doubt Americans care one way or the other. Who would have otherwise bought a Mitsubishi, but refuses because it's now got amber turn signals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.