Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
yep and new tires may not make it safe. Safety is always upper most in my mind since so many get killed in wrecks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
If your car can't be aligned - alignment - then you have serious suspension issues.

And vastly unsafe.

Good Luck.
Safety is a mindset issue, not an equipment issue. Everything is safe, as long as you understand its mechanical limits and don't try to push it beyond that limit..

If it is your characteristic nature to push your car beyond its limitations, then no tires at any price will give you safety.

When you get behind the wheel, you had better be in the habit of making your own good luck, and not depend on your credit card to buy it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
When they're worn or damaged beyond repair.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,149,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Safety is a mindset issue, not an equipment issue. Everything is safe, as long as you understand its mechanical limits and don't try to push it beyond that limit..

If it is your characteristic nature to push your car beyond its limitations, then no tires at any price will give you safety.

When you get behind the wheel, you had better be in the habit of making your own good luck, and not depend on your credit card to buy it for you.
It's true that money does not necessarily equate to safety, but worn-out tires or brakes can cause problems at unexpected times and in unexpected ways. Luck can only take you so far when an equipment failure happens and you have to deal with it instantaneously. I hope I never drive next to some of the people in this thread.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Where I live/drive tires are everything. Studs are the first thing to wear down and I get two winters at most out of a set of tires. So every two years I replace tires, on average. Yes it gets expensive, but it beats being blown into oncoming traffic (up to 120mph cross winds!) while driving on ice, in the middle of a white out blizzard.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 AM

6 posts, read 6,539 times
I usually change my tire after 4 years to avoid future problem.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:54 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
I change mine when I can see the air in them ...

Old 06-05-2015, 06:35 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Unless theres a problem, like a ply separating or something, I change them when they wear out. Only exception to this was a set of tires on one truck I had that were just junk to start with. At 20000 they were wore about half way, but had no traction at all in wet weather, which in turn caused me to do 3500 worth of damage to it. Bridgestone knew this was a problem but did nothing about it. The day I got my truck back, off they came!!!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:44 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
My personal vehicles are usually replaced every two years or so due to mileage and wear. Three years is a long life for tires in our household. As a fleet manager, we strictly enforce replacement in our administrative cars at 3/32 and if they are in the shop at 4/32 they get done while there. Police and law enforcement vehicles are replaced by 5/32 in most cases.

The idea that safety is a mindset issue, as someone said, is true. That mindset also needs to include planning for the unexpected and minimizing risk. We minimize risk by operating equipment that is operating at or near optimum standards and providing all the manufacturers benefits available through engineering and design. Just as no tire will provide safety when a vehicle is pushed beyond its limits, no driver can claim safety awareness driving on bald or inferior tires.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:19 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
What year/make/model of vehicle?
When were shocks/struts done last?
How often is it aligned?
What brand of tire?
The answer to all of those questions is "it varies" because I've owned almost a dozen vehicles in the past four years and often driven the living bejeezus out of them. I'm generally meticulous about maintenance for cars I intend on keeping (read: the ones that I don't sell for a quick profit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive