Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times

Advertisements

I had the alternator replaced on a 2001 Dodge Neon. Car ran great for about 5 miles, then the power steering quit. I took it back to the mechanic, and they said the PS belt had come off, but it couldn't possibly be a result of anything they did. They did put it back on for me at no charge, but said if it happens again, the only choice would be to replace the entire PS assembly, pump, and belt. They told me there's a spring in the assembly that has stretched out, causing the belt to be loose, and it will likely come off again, they can't predict a timeline for it.

They quoted me over $1000 for the repair, which is way too much to put into a 14 year old car with over 190K miles. I love this car, and would hate to give it up. Does this quote and info sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM

190 posts, read 286,180 times
Do you have a single serpentine belt on that car?

On most domestic cars with serpentine belts, there is a small tensioner assembly (that is mounted independently from any other device).

It's sole purpose is to keep the proper tension on the belt.

It is a cheap part (< $50) - should take a mechanic 5 mins to switch out.

Normal maintenance tip - if you change the belt, change the tensioner also.

Take a look under your hood, if you have one belt,

my bet is that your mechanic is attempting to take your wallet or purse for a looooong ride.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
The first thing that you need is a new mechanic!

More than likely, your problem is simply a worn-out belt tensioner. Replacing the tensioner and the belt should probably cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-350, depending on labor costs in your area.

Replacing the PS pump and related parts because of a loose belt is like amputating some toes instead of simply clipping your toenails--i.e. massive overkill. This mechanic sounds to me like an unethical thief.
Ask friends, neighbors, relatives, and co-workers for recommended mechanics in your area.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Way over the top. https://repairpal.com/estimator/dodg...placement-cost

Old 06-02-2015, 09:32 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
I'd first check to see if the Alternator Pulley is in line with the others....if it's not, it could run the belt off.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
That sounds like they are full of fantasy. Try a new belt and a different mechanic!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
I'm not a mechanic so I don't know that much, but if the power steering pump is on a separate belt. Can't you just drive the car without power steering ? It might suck, but I wouldn't want to drop that kind of cash on a 14 year old car either.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'm not a mechanic so I don't know that much, but if the power steering pump is on a separate belt. Can't you just drive the car without power steering ? It might suck, but I wouldn't want to drop that kind of cash on a 14 year old car either.
The car won't work like this since according to Autozone it is a single serpentine belt that powers all of the accessories.

If it is an older belt, it could have stretched a bit and now the tensioner can't hold it tight enough if it is at it's limit of travel. I would get a new belt, and if the new belt is not tight enough, often you can get a belt that is 1" shorter and that might work. A new tensioner can be expensive and cost some labor if it is hard to get to. But yes I agree, I would look at another mechanic also.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:18 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Did he also mention a new johnson rod and blinker fluid?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:19 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Several years ago I moved to Tampa Florida, not knowing anybody.
I had a car with a few years and a lot of miles on it, and needed some work.
I went to my local auto parts store to price what I needed, to get an idea of what the repair would cost.
While I was there, I was talking to the store's manager, and asked if he knew a good local, honest 'shade tree' mechanic.
About the time he started telling me a guys name, he walked in the door.
He was, I say respectfully, the ugliest guy I've ever met. He'd been rode hard and put up wet. All six of his teeth were about gone... He was a site - again, I say very respectfully...
I introduced myself to him, told him what I needed and the next thing you know I'm buying those parts, putting them in my trunk, and following him back to his house where he put them in (Motor mounts for a '99 Chrysler Sebring Convertible).
I don't remember what he charged me, but the cost of the parts were more than the labor.
Vince did an excellent job and my car was back to normal in no time, and I was very happy with the price.
From that point on, every time I needed any work done on my car, he'd get my business, and his service and price were far beyond making me happy...
So, do as I did, check with your local parts supply store and ask for a good shade tree mechanic, and give them a try.
I know not everyone will be that lucky, but it's worth a shot...
As for your quote: as others have said, your 'mechanic' is trying to empty your wallet... into his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive