Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,685 times

Advertisements

The FICO business is highly questionable and to a degree an over exaggerated value to retail business that has evolved into a standard or scale that often is bogus and doesn't permit umpiring. Could FICO regulation be a security risk to our economy ? Look at the pathetic mindset of auto dealer financial institutions. often exacerbating marginal investors in a car/truck purchase with obsurd interested rates (part of an effort to profit having zero to do with the FICO but rather leveraging off of clueless schmucks who forgot to pay the electric in 2011!). This scam reduces the sales of cars,trucks,cycles and RV's costing the economy billions . How these auto sales folks tolerate this ridiculous near criminal bunch of handicapping obstaclee is inconprehensible and virtually insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM

520 posts, read 532,190 times
What? Its a credit score. Thats all. How else would somebody be able to assess you for a loan?

Old 06-03-2015, 12:31 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
It appears to me that perhaps the op has a rather dismal credit score.

Bob.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It's all they have, and it works. It does not reduce car sales, it provides more interest to the lender in compensation for the increased risk associated with a lower credit score. Most electric providers do not report to FICO, but a "*******" who forgets to pay any bill is almost always going to get a reminder before it is late enough to affect their score.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:48 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
It takes a lot more than one missed payment 4 years ago to "ruin" a credit score.

If the rate being offered seems high, shop elsewhere.

Better yet, if your credit score is bad, stop using it and start paying for cash so you avoid things like "missed payments."

Old 06-03-2015, 03:41 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
To use the OP's own terminology, this thread is..."obsurd".
And, if the OP is concerned with "interested rates", I can tell him that I am not interested in this non-issue.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Credit scores are meaningless when you pay cash. It's really simple, walk into a dealership, put a deposit down on the car and get a cashier's check from the bank. Title shows up two weeks later .

Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
FICO ain't perfect, and can be manipulated to some degree...but, as others noted, it is really the peg that any institution has as a qualifier, be it car loan, home mort, personal loan, et al.

Don't see in the lit or stats where 'car/truck sales' are less than they could be due to FICO.

The loan biz is a dlr gross margin center, (like warranty and post warranty service work), and the used car lot guys 'live off of' the loan biz, often factored out to a third party.

Not sure the OP's point is valid, and the OP's understanding of FICO, car sales, interest rates charged, etc, may be limited.
GL, mD

Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Nothing's perfect. Overall though, it's great. It increases auto sales since lenders are much more willing to lend having a quick tool for judging credit risk and most people can't afford to pay cash. For those of us who make a habit of paying what we owe, it means access to cheap credit which is again great. Most of my assets are in retirement accounts although I have a little outside. I'd have to handle things differently to pay cash without withdrawal fees and paying taxes on them. Borrowing is much cleaner. I don't have to plan ahead for 2-3 years to save up outside retirement funds. I just borrow at 0%.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Nothing's perfect. Overall though, it's great. It increases auto sales since lenders are much more willing to lend having a quick tool for judging credit risk and most people can't afford to pay cash. For those of us who make a habit of paying what we owe, it means access to cheap credit which is again great. Most of my assets are in retirement accounts although I have a little outside. I'd have to handle things differently to pay cash without withdrawal fees and paying taxes on them. Borrowing is much cleaner. I don't have to plan ahead for 2-3 years to save up outside retirement funds. I just borrow at 0%.
Precisely.

One thing I am figuring is that when my CD is up at year's end, I'm going to break it up into pieces and stagger them so I can borrow from them (if need be when on work downtime) as they expire one after the other and reload as necessary. My truck is at 1.74% interest. I can make that/those CD(s) work for me for a better rate.

When you can borrow money for dirt cheap, you have the option to do better things with your money than (see below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
pay cash.

OP probably won't complain when the gubmint gets around to ensuring easier borrowing by strongly frowning down on lenders considering bad credit history and late payments when making lending decisions. So...there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive