Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeefy View Post
Yes.
But it handles worse. Those 200# really hurt it. I was all about the new crown vic. Errrr....mustang. but then she got fat. Ford is forever ****ing up. In 2005 they kept the sra and went with a puny motor. Now they fixed the motor and irs...and made it like a dodge charger with a smaller back seat. Why can't they just get it RIGHT. Stay tuned for the ats platform Camara imo. GM figured suspension out a long time ago. Now it seems they will fix weight. Motors have not been an issue for gm since the early 90s.

For right now, the 392 scat pack is the real bang for your buck. They are both morbidly obese, but the Dodge moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 PM

520 posts, read 531,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
But it handles worse. Those 200# really hurt it.
Do you own one? Im curious as to why you think that. It certainly doesnt handle worse than any solid axle Mustang ive ever owned and I drive my 05 back to back. Granted I dont have a 14 but whats your point of comparison? Around turns especially this one is rock solid.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
Do you own one? Im curious as to why you think that. It certainly doesnt handle worse than any solid axle Mustang ive ever owned and I drive my 05 back to back. Granted I dont have a 14 but whats your point of comparison? Around turns especially this one is rock solid.
No. I don't drive ford and haven't since I stopped working for them back in '05. I'm just basing it off of lap time comparisons and all the auto journalists who are hammering it feeling disconnected and wollowing and turning worse times than the outgoing model. And I know ford's history of replacing one issue with another one.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 PM

520 posts, read 531,976 times
Those lap times are pretty meaningless in the real. I kick the sh* out of my cars and I live on the west coast so lots of open highways and country roads to race on. Was I concerned about the weight? Sure I was. If anything my 05 at 3600 feels heavier. The 15 is lower sleeker and you dont feel the weight. Some of that might be mitigated by the tons of extra power, but the handling thing your saying just isnt true. The 15 is stable everywhere the 05 isnt. Train tracks and curving freeway onramps freak me out a bit on my 05 but in the 15 its rock solid stable. Its actually so good that driving the 15 is more boring and youre going a lot faster than you think you are in all the same places. I love my 05 to death and its my blue collar junk yard dog with that 4.6 motor. But capability wise the 15 is a much much better car.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Those lap times are pretty meaningless in the real. I kick the sh* out of my cars and I live on the west coast so lots of open highways and country roads to race on. Was I concerned about the weight? Sure I was. If anything my 05 at 3600 feels heavier. The 15 is lower sleeker and you dont feel the weight. Some of that might be mitigated by the tons of extra power, but the handling thing your saying just isnt true. The 15 is stable everywhere the 05 isnt. Train tracks and curving freeway onramps freak me out a bit on my 05 but in the 15 its rock solid stable. Its actually so good that driving the 15 is more boring and youre going a lot faster than you think you are in all the same places. I love my 05 to death and its my blue collar junk yard dog with that 4.6 motor. But capability wise the 15 is a much much better car.
Sounds like you got what you need. No cornering ability and a softer ride. Some people are cool with that and that's good. That's not what excites me. Well connected cars with proper weight dist. And a competent suspension is my thing. For example, the brz is the most impressive car I've driven in a while. I could have as much fun in it as my c6z. It was much better than my 370z. I remember the 05 mustangs feeling like BMW sedans until I leaned on them and ugly things reared their head. I know that 05 was a long time ago though and Ford ironed a lot of that out, but to give you an example , the gt came with 235 / 55/ 17's back then. Ford is clueless about performance. That is why Shelby and roushe and Saleen handled that for them and sold back through dealers.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,241 times
Quote:
The only thing I would ever consider on my 15 is an exhaust and Im still toying with that idea, but thats it. Shes just too fast and too stable to want to ruin it by modding.
Well the ruining part simply isn't true. You can get more performance and even gas mileage out of your car with a proper tune compared to the conservative factory settings they have on these cars off the line.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I know that 05 was a long time ago though and Ford ironed a lot of that out, but to give you an example , the gt came with 235 / 55/ 17's back then.

Yikes! I assume that wasn't very good for the torque or traction on tires that size?

I changed the stock tires on my 05 to 19" with 245 in front and 275 in back. I think that helps mine handle the extra power being slightly modified than the stock Mustang GT and the torque from my higher gears. I also have the Ford Racing Suspension on mine too. She hugs the road quite well. I haven't noticed anything ugly when I lean on her?

Care to expand on the ugliness you noticed? Good discussion in here. Makes me want to take her out for a late night ride!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Yikes! I assume that wasn't very good for the torque or traction on tires that size?

I changed the stock tires on my 05 to 19" with 245 in front and 275 in back. I think that helps mine handle the extra power being slightly modified than the stock Mustang GT and the torque from my higher gears. I also have the Ford Racing Suspension on mine too. She hugs the road quite well. I haven't noticed anything ugly when I lean on her?

Care to expand on the ugliness you noticed? Good discussion in here. Makes me want to take her out for a late night ride!
It was soft. Throw it into a corner and the tiny tires and heavy weight pushed you around. On a 1-2 shift it laid 10+ feet of rubber. In short, it was a car for high school kids and old guys who don't drive and just want a burn out, styling looks, and a v8 burble but don't put much premium on handling or understand the friction circle. My 2001 ws.6 cost me a few gt sales, back in 05, lol!

My opinion from just reading is that ford is hoping 300 ft skidpad numbers get more sales than actual on track numbers.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Well the ruining part simply isn't true. You can get more performance and even gas mileage out of your car with a proper tune compared to the conservative factory settings they have on these cars off the line.
Ford has a conservative tune, yes, but it's a safe tune and leaves the warranty in tact. If you wanted more power should have bought the 392 scat pack or any number of gm products. I don't do mods really. I had a fully build 1988gt and hated it. Most mods are a guve and trade and if you don't mod all the systems (brakes? Suspension? Why do you want more power when the car struggles to control what it has already? ) you end up no better off than the guy with the ls1 Camara running 11s with just a cam and lt and sticky tires. One trick pony.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Ford has a conservative tune, yes, but it's a safe tune and leaves the warranty in tact. If you wanted more power should have bought the 392 scat pack or any number of gm products. I don't do mods really. I had a fully build 1988gt and hated it. Most mods are a guve and trade and if you don't mod all the systems (brakes? Suspension? Why do you want more power when the car struggles to control what it has already? ) you end up no better off than the guy with the ls1 Camara running 11s with just a cam and lt and sticky tires. One trick pony.
Not sure what you mean by safe but keeping it under warranty, yes. Don't mess with a new car if you've got a warranty.

Well if we were talking about a $50k car like the Scat Pack, than sure, but we're talking about having an affordable car that the Average Joe can drive and you're better off doing that and tuning to get a bit more performance. Hell, a decent tune and power flow intake is a reasonable way to increase performance a little for the money it may cost.

And I guess my car is the exception. It's been modded enough to handle the power it seems as I feel it performs pretty well.

Power Flow Intake
One piece drive shaft
Hurst Shifter
Lunati Cams
Ford Racing Suspension
Strut Tower
4:10 gears

It is pretty crazy the amount of HP even the base model Mustang is putting out at 305, which is higher than the stock GT HP of 2005!

I'd take seeing any pictures of you new Stang if you feel like posting any. That color sounds awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive