Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,380,171 times
This law needs to be apply nationally, especially here in the bay area. Clogging up the left lane should be illegal. Kudos to the state of Indiana.

Should we punish drivers who dawdle in the left lane?

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Uh-oh, someone rubbed THL's lamp...

Old 06-03-2015, 01:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
the problem with these types of laws is what happens when you are in the middle of passing in the left lane and faster traffic comes up behind you? and yes this has happened to me. i was passing four 18 wheelers, i was going over the limit, and at the point that faster traffic caught me, i was right next to the third trucks trailer. the guy was flashing his lights at me, but where was i supposed to go on a two lane highway?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Every country deals with this problem and seems to make it work. Sure there are always issues like you describe but if you move at the next opportunity usually everything is fine.

The problem in the US is the prevalence of people who think because they may be going 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit that they are going "Fast Enough" and should sit in the left lane and stop anyone else from going any faster. This attitude is surprisingly common and combined with people who just don't pay attention serve to make driving time worse for everyone.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the problem with these types of laws is what happens when you are in the middle of passing in the left lane and faster traffic comes up behind you? and yes this has happened to me. i was passing four 18 wheelers, i was going over the limit, and at the point that faster traffic caught me, i was right next to the third trucks trailer. the guy was flashing his lights at me, but where was i supposed to go on a two lane highway?
That's not a problem with the law, that's a problem with the person behind you.

If a pass is gonna take me a while and there's someone behind me looking to get by, I'll goose it a bit to complete the pass quicker. If it's not gonna take me much time, they can wait until I get over.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:49 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,495 times
Quote:
ANY idiot can see there are trucks in the way making it impossible to get over but they still pull that crap...they aren't watching the news and seeing the pictures of the latest crash between a semi and an impatient driver....Tennessee is full of them...everyday it seems some big huge crash on the interstate...it is scary...

Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I simply pass any laggards dawdling in the left lane on the right. if I am passing in the left lane and somebody comes rushing up with head lights flashing I simply continue my pass until it is safe to move over. If the flashing lights are blue I will complete the pass as soon as possible.

I try to set my speed so I am passing four cars out of five and spend as little time in the left lane as possible.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Here's the actual Indiana Code regarding speed limits.

Indiana Code § 9-21-5-2: Maximum speed limits
Sec. 2. Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with section 1 of this chapter, the slower speed limit specified in this section or established as authorized by section 3 of this chapter is the maximum lawful speed. A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed in excess of the following maximum limits:

Here's another take on the new Indiana law. (The legislator who pushed for it has made it clear that he's a road hog of the speeding variety, by the way.) It appears, however, that the police are more likely to cite the speeder, in practice. (Except for the sheriff in the first article who has just made it clear in print that he only upholds the laws that he personally likes.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Here's the actual Indiana Code regarding speed limits.

Indiana Code § 9-21-5-2: Maximum speed limits
Sec. 2. Except when a special hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with section 1 of this chapter, the slower speed limit specified in this section or established as authorized by section 3 of this chapter is the maximum lawful speed. A person may not drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed in excess of the following maximum limits:

Here's another take on the new Indiana law. (The legislator who pushed for it has made it clear that he's a road hog of the speeding variety, by the way.) It appears, however, that the police are more likely to cite the speeder, in practice. (Except for the sheriff in the first article who has just made it clear in print that he only upholds the laws that he personally likes.
Exactly the response we would expect for you. Speeding is against the law *yawn*. Now so is impeding the flow of traffic. Its up to the police to enforce the laws, not "you". If they want to ticket the speeder they have every right, but now they also have the right to ticket the driver that is holding up traffic

From the article "When the law takes effect in July, all cars traveling in the left lane will have to yield to faster traffic coming from behind. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. If you don’t move to the right, that’s a $500 fine."

Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
You continue passing them all. Feel free to press the gas pedal a little teensy weensy more. Once completed, you move over. Ignore the flasher in this instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive