Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 08:17 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times

Advertisements

This is how I did it last year...
Mind you, I had been to 2 dealerships (both demanded over book value for the car I wanted, so I said "Have a nice day"), and was at a third dealer looking at a car I was seriously considering. Long story short, after careful inspection, and knowing what I wanted to pay, I haggled and haggled 'til I got my price. The salesman was getting the finance papers ready after the price was locked in - and then I said, "You know what? Forget financing. I'm paying lump sum!" and whipped out a cashier's check for the price.
Oh, and incidentally, if such is your intent, it should go without saying that the dealer will take your information (driver's license, social security) and probably run your credit information. For the time being, before even discussing payment terms, you may want to write on their paper, NOT TO BE USED FOR CREDIT CHECK! They should only run your credit AFTER financing is mutually agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
For the time being, before even discussing payment terms, you may want to write on their paper, NOT TO BE USED FOR CREDIT CHECK! They should only run your credit AFTER financing is mutually agreed!
How do you figure? They can't really make you an offer on financing til they check your credit...

Old 06-08-2015, 09:48 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
This is how I did it last year...
Mind you, I had been to 2 dealerships (both demanded over book value for the car I wanted, so I said "Have a nice day"), and was at a third dealer looking at a car I was seriously considering. Long story short, after careful inspection, and knowing what I wanted to pay, I haggled and haggled 'til I got my price. The salesman was getting the finance papers ready after the price was locked in - and then I said, "You know what? Forget financing. I'm paying lump sum!" and whipped out a cashier's check for the price.
Oh, and incidentally, if such is your intent, it should go without saying that the dealer will take your information (driver's license, social security) and probably run your credit information. For the time being, before even discussing payment terms, you may want to write on their paper, NOT TO BE USED FOR CREDIT CHECK! They should only run your credit AFTER financing is mutually agreed!
Oh, I LOVE this! I am totally doing this.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:49 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
How do you figure? They can't really make you an offer on financing til they check your credit...
In my experience, they always ask me what my credit is (good, excellent, etc). My credit doesn't matter anyway. I KNOW I have excellent credit and they still gave me the interest rate for "fair" so they could pocket the spread.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:02 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
If it is such an incentive for the dealer to finance, why not go along with their hokey financing and then just pay it off right away?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, I don't know about you, but my experience is I go in, tell the salesperson that I'm interested in "Model X", Stock #, etc. He of course gets a copy of my license (obviously), and on said copy I emphasize that my information is not to be used to run credit. I haven't bought the car yet right? So why check my credit?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Forgot to put in that the license copy is obviously to ensure that you're a licensed driver.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,235 times
Quote:
you may want to write on their paper, NOT TO BE USED FOR CREDIT CHECK!
What, precisely, do you think this will do?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Well, I don't know about you, but my experience is I go in, tell the salesperson that I'm interested in "Model X", Stock #, etc. He of course gets a copy of my license (obviously), and on said copy I emphasize that my information is not to be used to run credit. I haven't bought the car yet right? So why check my credit?
When I worked in a dealership, we needed the SSN to check credit, and the bank wanted to know their income before they would approve a loan. That customer wouldn't divulge that information (the sales/finance staff) til after the customer had committed to filling out a credit check. We were coached not to hand them a credit application til we were certain they would buy a car (assuming the financing went through, the interest rate was acceptable, etc...) Credit is still only one piece of the equation. I had a customer with an 815 credit score get denied a loan; she simply wanted to buy too much car, and a $60K truck payment (even at 84 months) wasn't going to fly on $36K/year.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
If the dealer thinks you are going to finance the car through them, you can frequently get an even better deal. Tell them you are going to finance but at the very end after you have the best possible deal, pay cash. On Auto trader it is not uncommon to see some dealers offering cars for $500 less if you finance through them. Even if you financed, you could immediately pay the car off before accruing any interest.

Isn't this being dishonest with the dealer? The very thing that so many people complain about the dealer doing to them?
So it isn't okay for a dealer to do this but it is okay for a buyer to do this?

Quite hypcritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive