Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In that scenario, if your front wheels break traction, you are also along for the ride as you slam into the stopped tractor trailer in front of you.
Only if you know nothing about car control, don't know how to modulate the brakes, and don't know how to use the steering wheel that's right in your hands. Which, I gather from your posts in this thread, describes you.

When it comes time to decide which pair of tires to put on which end of the car, you do what you want. Those of us who know something about physics and car control will continue to put the cars with more tread depth on the rear tires where they belong and advise others to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:39 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
I highly suggest just going with all 4 tires and using the two good tires as spares/backups. I have gone the route of 2 pairs on a vehicle and I will NEVER do it again, it is a perpetual state of maintaining two sets and is a waste of time. Just get the 4 and let the additional cost of prematurely replacing a pair be a reminder to rotate the set regularly.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Only if you know nothing about car control, don't know how to modulate the brakes, and don't know how to use the steering wheel that's right in your hands. Which, I gather from your posts in this thread, describes you.
Sounds like you never drive in heavy traffic. You modulate the brakes with ABS or are you still driving a '75 Plymouth?

You mean the steering wheel that controls the front tires?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:46 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Thanks everyone- very helpful

Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
I'd rather have the new on the front of a front wheel drive car IMO......you would want to be able to steer out of a problem, and with front wheel drive.....hit the gas, and the back will follow where the front is pointed.....and Hydroplaning........I'd rather loose rear traction than front

Old 06-08-2015, 11:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like you never drive in heavy traffic. You modulate the brakes with ABS or are you still driving a '75 Plymouth?

You mean the steering wheel that controls the front tires?
Yeah, I live in Chicago but never drive in heavy traffic. You're a sharp one, aren't you?

And if you think you only modulate the brakes with ABS, you've confirmed my assessment of your car control knowledge.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I
.....and Hydroplaning........I'd rather loose rear traction than front
Trust me -- No, you wouldn't.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:48 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Unless AWD( not familiar there) you can replace both front tires with same size even if different make. Both front and both rear are always changed at same time for safety reasons on less little wear; especailly front.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Front wheel drive ???....if so, may want the new tires up front (IMO)
No. I see it is well covered by others with the links I would have posted, but you always want the good tires in the back to maximize control. Front does no good if the back is swinging out, regardless of the driven wheels.

Quote:
I'd rather have the new on the front of a front wheel drive car IMO......you would want to be able to steer out of a problem, and with front wheel drive.....hit the gas, and the back will follow where the front is pointed.....and Hydroplaning........I'd rather loose rear traction than front

That's totally wrong. If the car is now facing 90 degrees to the so of the direction of travel what good are your front tires having traction doing for you. Sure, you might be able to compensate, but more likely the rear will swing out faster than you will be able to correct.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
No. I see it is well covered by others with the links I would have posted, but you always want the good tires in the back to maximize control. Front does no good if the back is swinging out, regardless of the driven wheels.

That's totally wrong. If the car is now facing 90 degrees to the so of the direction of travel what good are your front tires having traction doing for you. Sure, you might be able to compensate, but more likely the rear will swing out faster than you will be able to correct.
You hit the throttle with front wheel drive, and you have traction (better tires), the back will follow where the front is pointed.....and if you're hydroplaning, and at 90*....your there just for the ride regardless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive