Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I managed 2.67%, but yeah, that's my experience, too. TO get 0.9% and the like, you have to give up cash-back and go through the dealer, which is a worse deal.
Usually, but not always. I whittled down the dealer on my last car, and I knew that beyond them the only way I could get a few choice rebates was to finance with the manufacture at 0.9%, and I'll let 0.9% ride all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:51 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
No incentive given up to get the lower rate? You see that a lot on jaypee's link.
CU here does 1.99% up to 6 years old. 81 months is 1% higher.
My CU does 1.99% up to $30k and 7 yrs. More than a $30k loan, the rate is 1.79%.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
Usually, but not always. I whittled down the dealer on my last car, and I knew that beyond them the only way I could get a few choice rebates was to finance with the manufacture at 0.9%, and I'll let 0.9% ride all day long.
Nothing wrong with that. I chose to go the pre-owned route, so 2.67% was it for me.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
The nice thing about buying cars at the bottom of the depreciation scale is that we have never really lost a bunch of money doing it. In fact, we bought a 95 Subaru Legacy for $1500, drove it for 4 years, sold as a barely running parts car (huge oil leak) for $1100. I think we got our money's worth from it.
I do this too, but with luxury cars.
My wife drives a '05 Mercedes C320 4Matic, but with 57K miles for $12.5K. It's better equipped than most new cars.
I've also had three Cadillacs and a Jaguar and none cost more than $13K.

The total MSRP of these five cars when they were new was over quarter of a million dollars.
My depreciation hit on them has been well under $100 a month.
When you're buying sub-$13K cars, you never need much in the way of loans.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
My wife drives a '05 Mercedes C320 4Matic, but with 57K miles for $12.5K. It's better equipped than most new cars.

The total MSRP of these five cars when they were new was over quarter of a million dollars.

My thoughts exactly. I find most of the older cars much more appealing than the newer ones too so there are many more cars available to choose from.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:

I've contemplating this, but Mercedes maintenance if ANYTHING goes wrong unless you do your own work is stratospheric. Parts alone are.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I've contemplating this, but Mercedes maintenance if ANYTHING goes wrong unless you do your own work is stratospheric. Parts alone are.
I have a good independent mechanic. Never take a car like this to a dealer unless you want to get screwed.
If you ask him if he can fix (insert make of car here), he'll tell you "it's a car".
He doesn't consider them any more special than a Ford or Chevy and his rates reflect that.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I have a good independent mechanic. Never take a car like this to a dealer unless you want to get screwed.
If you ask him if he can fix (insert make of car here), he'll tell you "it's a car".
He doesn't consider them any more special than a Ford or Chevy and his rates reflect that.
Alas, but the price of his parts won't. Especially transmissions, etc.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:31 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Years ago when I bought a BMW from a BMW dealer the salesman told me to never take it to the dealer for repairs unless I want to empty my pockets. He said to take it to an independent mechanic that specializes in European cars. He even gave me names of several places. The salesman said they aren't affiliated with the repair side of the dealership and its its own entity so that why he did not have issues telling customers to go elsewhere for repairs. I took it to one of these shops and it was a good thousand dollars less than when the dealership had quoted the repair to be.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Alas, but the price of his parts won't. Especially transmissions, etc.
I've never had a tranny go out on a modern car.
Parts can also be obtained thru various sources (like Ebay), which he will install.
There are many ways to keep the running costs down.

The biggest plus is you get to drive a really nice car without taking that enormous depreciation hit.
Someone else lost almost $200K in value on these cars over the years. Think about that... $200K!
They're not the latest and greatest, but I'm totally ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive