Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 01:24 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,410,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
For another $1,500, I would get a Kia Soul. And I might finance the sucker for 84 Months.
New 2015 Kia Soul Base 28363
LOL! As long as my payments are $24/month!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:25 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,274,526 times
The Fit is slightly more expensive, but a much better car. The Versa has a sluggish feel, likely the Renault influence with the CVT, whereas the Fit is peppy and gets better fuel economy and I think the interior is very versatile for a subcompact. The Honda also retains value much better than the others in the segment, something to consider as you would want to reduce the exposure of negative equity for a longer term loan.

A base Kia Soul is in the $15k range, I believe, and a Kia Rio base is about $14k, MSRP, so you may find a good deal on one of those as well. The Fit is hard to beat, though, and has won awards with the 2015 redesign.

In terms of safety, based upon IIHS testing, I would eliminate the Nissan and Rio, but the Soul and Fit are Top Safety Picks.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-09-2015, 01:32 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,073,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
So, the 84-month car loan payment thread got me interested in seeing what was the cheapest new car out there ready for purchase. I assumed you couldn't find a base model car for less than $20,000, but I was wrong. The 2015 Nissan Versa, base model, I found for $12,495.

Now, I'm sure it's not a "fun" car to drive. It has as 1.5 liter 195 horse power engine in it, and it doesn't really get that great of gas mileage in the city (rated at around 26 miles/gallon.) But, it comes in either manual or auto transmission, and has Bluetooth!

Anybody have any experience with the Versa?
I highly doubt the base model Versa is getting 195 horsepower.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The Fit is slightly more expensive, but a much better car. The Versa has a sluggish feel, likely the Renault influence with the CVT, whereas the Fit is peppy and gets better fuel economy and I think the interior is very versatile for a subcompact. The Honda also retains value much better than the others in the segment, something to consider as you would want to reduce the exposure of negative equity for a longer term loan.

A base Kia Soul is in the $15k range, I believe, and a Kia Rio base is about $14k, MSRP, so you may find a good deal on one of those as well. The Fit is hard to beat, though, and has won awards with the 2015 redesign.

In terms of safety, based upon IIHS testing, I would eliminate the Nissan and Rio, but the Soul and Fit are Top Safety Picks.
The 2015 Honda Fit looks like it's pretty well loaded with features!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,638,761 times
Quote:
Chevy Spark looks interesting, although admittedly, I would be kind of nervous transporting my little 7 month old in it.

I don't know how reliable these guys are but they rate the Spark better than the Versa Safety ratings

Old 06-09-2015, 01:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times
Quote:
The 2015 Honda Fit looks like it's pretty well loaded with features!
I believe the cheapest cars (Versa, Spark, Mirage) can all be bought for under $11K.
The Fit ought to be better. If they don't discount (it is a Honda) it's almost 40% more expensive.
It's a big 'ol leap from $11K to $15K.

I understand the Mitsu is selling quite well.
In addition to being dirt cheap, you get a 5 year/60K mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I don't know how reliable these guys are but they rate the Spark better than the Versa Safety ratings
There's a new Spark coming for '16. It looks much improved.
There might also be an opportunity to get one of the outgoing Sparks even cheaper.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I'd probably say out of all of these, I'd probably go with the Honda Fit. They're fully loaded and I like their looks over the other cars. But then again, you're talking to someone who used to drive a Mustang GT and has always wanted a full size truck.

However, I'd get one of these cars if I knew I could have it paid off within a year. Then I'd save for something with a little more beef to it - a good weekend fun vehicle!

Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I believe the cheapest cars (Versa, Spark, Mirage) can all be bought for under $11K.
The Fit ought to be better. If they don't discount (it is a Honda) it's almost 40% more expensive.
It's a big 'ol leap from $11K to $15K.

I understand the Mitsu is selling quite well.
In addition to being dirt cheap, you get a 5 year/60K mile bumper to bumper warranty.
Yeah, if I could get a 2015 Honda Fit for $11K, then it would be a no-brainer. Heck, I'd probably have the thing paid off within a year.

I do like that warranty on the Mitsu, but aren't most of the Mirages manuals? Don't have anything against manuals, just been so long since I've driven a manual.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM

There are quite a few new Mirages on AutoTrader for less than $10K.
It's fairly amazing that you can get a brand new car with a long warranty that cheap.
Some of them are automatics.

Cheapest automatic Fit on AutoTrader is $16,291. That's not even on the same planet price wise.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-09-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive