Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No you're missing the point. The domestics are at the back because they're either not worth fixing or there just aren't enough left on the road to drive demand.

^^^THIS^^^

You should to listen, Eddie, Notnamed is telling you the truth.

The Big 3 cannot favorably compare with "foreign" carmakers when it comes to reliability and longevity and the numbers bear it out.

10 Best Cars to Last 200,000 Miles - Consumer Reports News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times
In the fine print: "Here’s the iSeeCars list, in order of most to least ads featuring cars with more than 200,000 miles."

Cars that were sold in high volumes when new are likely to be the most-advertised on Craigslist and elsewhere when used, and to be the most advertised with over 200,000 miles.

It does not mean that the cars being sold are reliable, only that there are still more of them on the road because there were more of them when they were new.

(Almost) any car will last 200,000 miles if you want it to, unless it's totaled in a crash. My last car went 300,000 miles and was still mechanically reliable. My current car has almost 600,000 miles and my goal is to put 800,000 on it. I may pay more for repairs, that is, for parts that wear out, but I'm not paying for depreciation or full-coverage insurance.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Ford is the only domestic brand I would even consider. At least they create their own cars and have sold well in Europe for decades. My wife's 2007 Focus hasn't had any problems so far at 140k miles. GM's non truck vehicles are mostly rebadged Daewoos, literally. Daewoo stopped selling cars with their own name 15 years ago because of their reputation.

Chevy Aveo = Daewoo Gentra
Chevy Cruz = Daewoo Licetti
Chevy Sonic - Daewoo Lanos

I owned a 1994 Oldmobile Achieva and a 1994 Chevy S 10 and they were both garbage at 150k miles. I have had Toyotas with 250k that didn't need half as many repairs. My 11 year old 150k Toyota Camry is absolutely repair free. I am considering Nissan or Mazda for my next vehicle as Toyota's are pretty bland stylingwise.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
American cars have made a great leap forward. However, I still don't know which cars are more long-lasting and give less trouble in getting to the 200k mile mark - German cars or American cars.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
GM is making less and less cars in the US, more and more made overseas. Too many rebadge jobs and often too many hidden timebombs. American cars have made big strides but still too inconsistent across the board. You can't trust a car company that gets away with deaths and no punishment for their bad designs while the government keeps penalizing better car companies for ludicrous issues.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
All you have to do is look at all the cop cars, taxis, ambulances and commercial vehicles with 100s of thousands of miles on them to know "American" cars can last.

Like I said, every manufacture makes cars that last and makes cars that don't.

You have to know which ones to buy and which ones not to buy and the manufacture is not the best clue.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
All you have to do is look at all the cop cars, taxis, ambulances and commercial vehicles with 100s of thousands of miles on them to know "American" cars can last.

Like I said, every manufacture makes cars that last and makes cars that don't.

You have to know which ones to buy and which ones not to buy and the manufacture is not the best clue.
Majority of the fleet taxis in NYC have switched to Toyota, Subaru, VW, Nissan.

Cop and government cars gets maintained by their own people, it doesn't matter how crappy any car is as long as they are being actively maintained and fixed by workers.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Taxis are switching more for economy reasons than anything with respect to mpg which is usually one of the top two largest expense, depreciation being the other. Some entire taxi services use Prius now.
Before this town cars and the like went 300-400k miles on the original drivetrains with just normal maintenance and the occasional minor fix. That is as reliable as anything else.

All cars require maintenance.

As a matter of fact what I am seeing is with the increased manufacure suggested maintenance intervals, parts aren't lasting as long. Now they last longer than the average person keeps their new car, but ultimately parts are failing sooner than they should just because manufactures want to be able to show their cars require less maintenance when people compare cars while buying and doing research. You really are seeing this with transmissions and their life time fills and with 10-15k oil change intervals.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:49 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

More to do with legislation being passed requiring fuel efficiency standards and hybrid taxies

Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Cop and government cars gets maintained by their own people, it doesn't matter how crappy any car is as long as they are being actively maintained and fixed by workers.
A friend used to work in the maintenance/repair division of the California Highway Patrol. Back when most of the Highway Patrol cars were the Crown Victoria. He said that almost always cars were in the shop area for normal maintenance... brakes, tires, air filters, hoses, belts, etc. Very rare when there was a major engine or transmission problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive