Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I fixed your post.

I don't real see the all out takeover of Porsche by Volkswagen to be a good thing.
Volkswagen and Porsche have been rooted together for many years, the Porsche SUV's are siblings of the Tuareg/Q7 & Tiguan/Q5.

It might be a surprise for some here but besides the cheap Jetta and luxury Audi & Porsche, the Volkswagen Group also includes Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Å koda.
Also motorcycles under the Ducati name.
Also commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania, Neoplan.

Maybe the award makes more sense since as you can see the VW group is most diverse automotive group (makes more then 10 million per year).
Some of the negative comments on this thread are coming from posters that only associate VW with the cheap Mexican built Jetta or old Rabbit while ignoring the high end (Bentley) and performance (Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti) ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

Some of the negative comments on this thread are coming from posters that only associate VW with the cheap Mexican built Jetta or old Rabbit while ignoring the high end (Bentley) and performance (Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti) ...
Yeah, bhat do they sell more of? Which owners care more about reliability -- the Jetta owners or the Bentley owners?

Last edited by jaypee; 06-15-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 01:41 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I fixed your post.

I don't real see the all out takeover of Porsche by Volkswagen to be a good thing.
It's said that Porsche builds some of the most reliable vehicles around for the most part.

Why VW still suffers from subpar reliability is a mystery.

Really it's a mystery as to why any manufacturer is putting out anything with poor reliability, the industry has had many years now to really get things right. Maybe it has to do with cost cutting or in house engineering, who knows.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:14 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Back in the mid 1980's, Mexico City, my step daughter bought a New Golf.

Car was peppy but the interior (crappola) as was the rest of the car. Put the engine and trans into a child's wagon....they would have a huge seller based upon HP and Fuel Economy.

Every car maker will have a bottom seller of their line along with the high dollar unit.....every mkt area is different.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Every car maker will have a bottom seller of their line along with the high dollar unit.....every mkt area is different.
Yeah I guess they don't really place huge emphasis on the reliability of their lower vehicles unlike Toyota who builds their Corolla to be nearly as reliable as a Lexus LS460.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:26 PM

455 posts, read 597,875 times
Innovative?

Pfft. They dumbed down the Mk6 Jetta with drum brakes, no independent rear suspension, cheap interior to compete with Accords and Camrys? The reviews were so scathing of the cheapened Mk6 that it forced VW to actually do a refresh earlier than expected. I drove one and it felt like absolute garbage. Even my wife, who knows next to nothing about cars, commented that my MkIV Jetta felt like a much nicer car.

VW didn't do anything innovative other than trying to capture more US marketshare with Japanesed econoboxes.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:16 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,158,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It's said that Porsche builds some of the most reliable vehicles around for the most part.

Why VW still suffers from subpar reliability is a mystery.

Really it's a mystery as to why any manufacturer is putting out anything with poor reliability, the industry has had many years now to really get things right. Maybe it has to do with cost cutting or in house engineering, who knows.
You answered your own question, when you create an econo-box like the Jetta, engineers are forced to work with a low budget for components.

Since powertrain is their signature and used across other higher end cars (Passat, CC and even some Audi), Passat), that part is not touched. So you rarely hear complain on powertrain (engine and transmission) for VW but minor things in some cars (window motor, etc) since they are low cost components.

Of course luxury brands in their lineup use better components since engineers have a higher budget to select quality ones across.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,692,631 times
quote=NWarty;40031070]Innovative?

Pfft. They dumbed down the Mk6 Jetta with drum brakes, no independent rear suspension, cheap interior to compete with Accords and Camrys? The reviews were so scathing of the cheapened Mk6 that it forced VW to actually do a refresh earlier than expected. I drove one and it felt like absolute garbage. Even my wife, who knows next to nothing about cars, commented that my MkIV Jetta felt like a much nicer car.

VW didn't do anything innovative other than trying to capture more US marketshare with Japanesed econoboxes.[ quote]
Actually they are quite innovative. They innovate new ways to be a PITA while you're working on them.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
You answered your own question, when you create an econo-box like the Jetta, engineers are forced to work with a low budget for components.

Since powertrain is their signature and used across other higher end cars (Passat, CC and even some Audi), Passat), that part is not touched. So you rarely hear complain on powertrain (engine and transmission) for VW but minor things in some cars (window motor, etc) since they are low cost components.

Of course luxury brands in their lineup use better components since engineers have a higher budget to select quality ones across.
Are you sure about that? Tiguan and Touareg reliability problems go beyond minor electrical gremlins.
Don't other manufacturers' engineers have to work with low budget components as well?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:24 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
After owning my Audi A4, I will never put my butt in the seat of anything created or owned by VW unless I am riding as a passenger. While I won't argue the looks of the car, the reliability was to this day the worst I have ever seen. That car literally spent more time on jackstands in my driveway than it ever did on the road. When it ran right, it was GREAT. But that was very few days and not a common occurrence. From vacuum problems, to cheap interior components failing, to fuel issues, coolant leaks, engine sludging, etc... you name it, and that poor car had it. Most before 100k miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive