Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,731 times

Advertisements

I had the carrier bearing on my truck replaced at a well known tire and repair chain the other day and the next day I started hearing rough grinding type noises. I took my truck to the same company, but a different location and was told that when they put the drive line back on they didn't line up the notches/keys and hammered it on, which ruined the end and cracked the drive line. They are going to pay for the drive line and repairs. My question is, can I hold them liable for a rental car as I will not have transportation for five days?

Thanks,

Spydey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Probably. Have you asked them yet?

Old 06-12-2015, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,731 times
Hi Me007gold,

no I haven't. I wanted to do a little research so I could go in with some ammo. I wasn't sure if I had the law on my side or what my rights are regarding my situation.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:57 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
In general, warranties specify that rental cars are not paid for.. However.. You're dealing with, not a warranty, but closer to a negligence type situation. So, you do have a better case.

It all depends on what the shop decides. If they fight you over the rental.. It probably won't be worth your time to fight with them.

Frankly, you've gotten them to admit the mistake and repair it. That's probably 80% of the battle right there. I'd look at it as if you get them to cover the rental.. Bonus.

Legally.. I don't know where you stand. But.. If they want to fight the rental.. you'll spend more fighting than the rental is worth.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
You can ask. They are under no obligation to rent you a car. Their obligation is to make good on what they broke. I think you are doing very well already since they have admitted their error and are willing to make you whole! That in itself is not always the case unfortunately.

You can ask for a loaner or a rental, sighting the great inconvenience you will suffer due to the down time of your vehicle due to their error. I would be polite about it, since they are already willing to repair their damage. However, they may say "no." Those places typically would not have a loaner fleet, or any sort of budget structure in place to pay for rentals.

Did they give you an estimate on how long it will take them? Are they willing to refund the cost of the carrier bearing replacement?

That could be tactic too. If they say no, suggest they refund the carrier bearing replacement repair cost, or at the minimum, the labor charges for it, due to the botched job and inconvenience to you. YOu could use the savings to rent a vehicle for a couple days. AT least you would not be out more money that way, and in essence it would be having them cover your rental car without labelling it as such.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:10 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
From what your describing when you say "drive-line" that would d be the drive-shaft and why 5-days ???

This job takes 2-hours and your first problem was taking to as you stated "to a well known tire and repair chain".

These chain stores are a joke and that's why they ruined it.

1-day rental sure, but a 5-day rental, nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive