Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:57 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I think OP was looking for conventional cheaper oil, NOT synthetic.

autozone usually stocks it, but I rarely change my own oil these days unless it's my motorcycle.

Not having a place to easily dispose of the oil just takes the desire to change my own oil away. I know I could just take it to Autozone but where I live, I get free windshield washer fluid and the upsell for air filters, cabin filters, and windshield wipers too.
0W-20 oil is synthetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 01:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,760,922 times
If you will read your owners manual, it states that it RECOMMENDS Toyota 0w-20 oil. If that is not available, use any API SN 5w-20. NOTE, it states it recommends TOYOTA oil, not just any 0w-20 oil. This is the usual car maker BS as Toyota is a member of ILSAC and by agreement with ILSAC, can not require you to use anything outside of ILSAC specs. Frankly, you could put a 5w-40 in it and the only damage it will do is hammer the fuel mileage. This is within the guidelines of ILSAC and is a requirement of Toyota to build engines with in the spec. If you have arctic cold startups, the 0w is helpful. If you don't have below 30F temps at startup, it's pure horse bagels. I can assure you there are a lot of Toyotas running down the road with 5w-30 Walmart El Cheapo in recommended 0w-20 engines and they live just as long as any other Toyota engine.

So you have an oil related failure using a 5w-30 oil in this Toyota. What will Toyota do? The oil viscosity is not a concern. Why? Because the day you put the oil in the pan it changes viscosity. The oil will shear under use which thins it and then it oxidizes which thickens it. Most often the oil is not in the same SAE viscosity range when you change it. Unless the failure is not apparent, Toyota would have a ferrography test run on the oil which will tell them exactly what parts failed. Again, the viscosity is irrelevant.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:30 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,884,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If you will read your owners manual, it states that it RECOMMENDS Toyota 0w-20 oil. If that is not available, use any API SN 5w-20. NOTE, it states it recommends TOYOTA oil, not just any 0w-20 oil. This is the usual car maker BS as Toyota is a member of ILSAC and by agreement with ILSAC, can not require you to use anything outside of ILSAC specs. Frankly, you could put a 5w-40 in it and the only damage it will do is hammer the fuel mileage. This is within the guidelines of ILSAC and is a requirement of Toyota to build engines with in the spec. If you have arctic cold startups, the 0w is helpful. If you don't have below 30F temps at startup, it's pure horse bagels. I can assure you there are a lot of Toyotas running down the road with 5w-30 Walmart El Cheapo in recommended 0w-20 engines and they live just as long as any other Toyota engine.

So you have an oil related failure using a 5w-30 oil in this Toyota. What will Toyota do? The oil viscosity is not a concern. Why? Because the day you put the oil in the pan it changes viscosity. The oil will shear under use which thins it and then it oxidizes which thickens it. Most often the oil is not in the same SAE viscosity range when you change it. Unless the failure is not apparent, Toyota would have a ferrography test run on the oil which will tell them exactly what parts failed. Again, the viscosity is irrelevant.
You are mostly right about oils. Toyota is just trying to stick to their official MPG of fuel of their vehicles.

I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla, and this is what the manual reads, page 469 (the oil fill cap shows "SAE 0W-20 engine oil, too):

Quote:
ENGINE OIL SELECTION

"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade: ILSAC multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity:
1.8 L 4-cylinder (2ZR-FE) engine
0W-20

If SAE 0W-20 oil is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 oil at the next oil change.
It means that you can use any 0W-20 oil that is the "equivalent" or meats or exceeds the Toyota specifications of the Toyota Genuine 0W-20 oil. Toyota recommends the 0W-20 oil because for this motor it is the best choice for fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. I just buy it at Walmart (Mobil 1, Castrol, etc., full synthetic), for around $25.00 a gallon. The oil at the dealership is not any better nor cheaper than other brands.

Now, it may be different for other Toyota models or years.

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-14-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 03:53 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,961,207 times
I bought a case of 0w-20 Castrol Synblend a couple of months ago for a buck a quart. I like to change my oil regularly so pure synthetic isn't a concern. If you keep a lookout, great deals spring up occasionally.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,212,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
0W-20 oil is synthetic.
eh, sorry. I was thinking 5w20

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times
There are a few 0W-20 blend oil on the market. Refer to this list...
dexos1 Brands | GM (in fact the third one down, AC, is a blend.)

As for 5W-20, Lucas makes a non-syn formula...

Might be more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive