Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:03 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,939,260 times

Advertisements

Pretty ridiculous. My son likes to spend money as soon as he gets it. So, he has been giving me a chunk of his pay check each week for the past two years as he wants to buy a new car in cash.

When the time comes, I'll give him his money and he'll go buy his car.

Now it sounds like he'll have to explain "where" he got his money from? Geesh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:06 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,175,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
So, I was right guilty until proven innocent.

I don't care if the transaction is reported and tracked, but having the Feds show up and asking questions is ridiculous. If I want to save up $20,000 cash to buy a car that's my business, not theirs. (Note: I've already been taxed on the money because I paid taxes all along, and the $20,000 includes taxes and fees too.)

You act as if someone is going to show up at your door and ask you all sorts of questions. It's a matter of paperwork.

Ever heard of money laundering?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:53 AM

15,446 posts, read 25,874,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You act as if someone is going to show up at your door and ask you all sorts of questions. It's a matter of paperwork.

Ever heard of money laundering?
That's what people in this thread have been saying. Money laundering has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,175,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That's what people in this thread have been saying. Money laundering has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Pretty ridiculous. My son likes to spend money as soon as he gets it. So, he has been giving me a chunk of his pay check each week for the past two years as he wants to buy a new car in cash.

When the time comes, I'll give him his money and he'll go buy his car.

Now it sounds like he'll have to explain "where" he got his money from? Geesh...
lol, the cash transaction is reported to the IRS. They're not going to interrogate you (well, unless something is obviously amiss). They're trying to prevent tax evasion and money laundering so it has everything to do with it.

It's just a freaking form the business has to fill out: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8300.pdf

It's been in place since 1970. If it hasn't affected you until now, I think it's safe to carry on with your life.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:48 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times
Even a Bank Cashiers check is questionable now days.

Once tried to deposit a large amount Wells Fargo Cashiers check into one of their own branch banks and it took over one hr before it was excepted into my account...I was not very happy at the time thinking a Cashiers Check was the best you could have.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,543,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I believe you.. And I don't have $20k in cash stashed under my bed.. So.. It really doesn't matter to me.. Just wondering if a cash purchase over X amount would trigger reporting requirements.
Yes, but the reporting requirement is on the business' shoulders, not yours.

I'm planning on buying a car with cash. I'm not a crook so I don't care about the reporting requirement.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,260,810 times
bring a bank check instead of cash.

I've heard of some real estate transactions where someone brings $200k in cash to the closing in a paper bag. If they got paid in cash and kept it under their mattress, someone's going to have to explain where all the money came from.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,866,850 times
Wow people, as others mentioned, it is just a simple form. Nothing, absolutely nothing will come of it. Numerous transactions like this happen every day, it is nothing special. What the gov looks for is patterns in this, and even then, it is just a pattern, there are numerous legit transactions that a person does every month that can create a pattern. A simple inquiry can easily reveal the legal nature of the business or pattern of transactions. Of course if the money is being obtained by illegal means, it might be difficult to prove the source of the cash.

So basically, chill out everyone.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,543,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
bring a bank check instead of cash.
From a car dealer's POV, isn't that still considered a cash transaction?

Old 06-20-2015, 01:38 PM

563 posts, read 525,949 times
Default Cash is King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Say you do a ton of side work and manage to save up 20,000 bucks.

Can you buy new even without a real job/ income verification.

Hi EuropeanFlava,

Yes you can buy your car cash. I sold my condo, so I had a little cash in my account. I was driving a car that was on a lease. The lease payments were high and so was the insurance. I decided to buy a car, cash; which is what I did. There was no extra paper work, nothing. I went to the bank and they made a bank check for 21K out of my account. Best move I ever made.I do not miss the car payments or the expensive insurance. I would never finance a car again. It is a wealth hazard.

Last edited by Hollywood55; 06-20-2015 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: added to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive